Climbing tree stand - facing the tree (rifle hunters)

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I am curious to learn how many of you face the tree, why or why not?

I face the tree. Why?

I feel safer being able to grab the tree without turning around, I hang my small pack on the tree with opening facing me (inches from my hands) that alone reduces my movements to access my snacks or equipment, but it also decreases the area a deer can see my movement as my back and tree will more likely hide it. My rifle is always in easy grasp resting on the padded rails with my hands on top. I have also found that if a deer comes in behind me it is easier to turn 360 if I start from facing the tree. I have many times used my body and rifle against the tree to help steady the rifle for a shot.

Love to hear what you think and things you do in your stand to make you a more effective hunter.

Deerhead

I use a Gunslinger and like facing the tree. I can use the tree to hid behind, prop my rifle against... During archery season I bring the foot rest close to the seat so I can stand and shoot my bow. Like you said I place my rifle on the padded rails for easy access and do the same with my pack!

rugerfan

Years ago I had a tree stand that I could face the tree or away from the tree, it usually depended on the situation for me, I could use the tree for a rest, hand my stuff on the tree and not have to get up and turn around to get it. When I bow hunted out of that stand, I always faced away from the tree. I sold that stand years ago, my current tree stand, you can face the tree, but the seat makes it a little hard to actually get in that position, but for the most part I face away from the tree, I have rigged up some hooks and carabiner hooks to hold my stuff. I can put my backpack on the front of the stand with some bungee cords and I use the back pack and somewhat of a rest, while still being able to get the the items out of the back pack.

I have had deer come out behind me with my current set up, and have used to the tree between me and them to conceal my movement as i slowly get in position to either view them or shoot them.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I have found that summit viper is easy to modify to face the tree, just cut the back off the seat and pad the “traditional shooting rail” so that your back is comfortable to lean on. Extend the straps on the seat as far as ya can, so you are sitting low in the top section on the stand. You slide the seat back towards the rear away from the tree and it is very comfortable. I also found that you can separate the the top section from the bottom section a bit further when in position and it is easier to stand up when ya need / want to.

ThatredneckguyJamie

I had a tree lounge as my first climber, it was one you could face either way. I always felt like the tree blocked too much of my view. When I made the switch to a Summit Viper I just liked it better, personal preference I guess. I will say those tree lounge/ gunslinger stands are by far the most comfortable for long sits.

Sixes

I had an older model that faced the tree, a BRent Hunt's Trophy Whitetail stand, and really enjoyed using the stand. I then switched to a Summit and realized that I was losing about 50% of the 180 degrees that I could see comfortably.

I've never felt uncomfortable facing away from the tree, in a Summit, it is no more than simply turning your feet to face out, so there is very little movement to face away from the tree.

And using a shooting stick, I can kill pretty much any deer that I see and not wait for them to have to clear the tree I am looking at if I am facing the tree

north_ga fireman

I had a tomcat years ago and you could hunt either way and it was nice at the time. I have had summit, tree lounge, homemade stands but preferred method is tree to back.

burkecountydeer

I have the small tomcat stand . I have killed 90 percent of my deer and all my big bucks hunting out of it . I have tried other stands and will not hunt out of a different stand . I just traded an old recurve bow I had for a buckshot climber which is really light and comfortable but cannot stand all the moving parts and how noisy it is . The tomcat has a bar that goes in between your legs so you cannot fall thru the stand. In my opinion it is the safest climber on the market . The only downfall is bow hunting out of it .

frankwright

I have one of the Tom Cat 1 stands and it is a good stand for a 3-4 hr hunt. I can't handle it for more than that.
Years ago I had one of the "Cadilac" face the tree stands and it was an all day comfortable stand. I am not sure why I sold it.
I also had a Deer Hunter stand and it was a face the tree or away. It was very comfortable and kind of a pain to set up .

Attachments

• super-hulk-104-climber-deer-tree_1_6dddda4d77ac30cda8668021ad81cebd.jpg
    super-hulk-104-climber-deer-tree_1_6dddda4d77ac30cda8668021ad81cebd.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 22

Drykilned

I am curious to learn how many of you face the tree, why or why not?

I face the tree. Why?

I feel safer being able to grab the tree without turning around, I hang my small pack on the tree with opening facing me (inches from my hands) that alone reduces my movements to access my snacks or equipment, but it also decreases the area a deer can see my movement as my back and tree will more likely hide it. My rifle is always in easy grasp resting on the padded rails with my hands on top. I have also found that if a deer comes in behind me it is easier to turn 360 if I start from facing the tree. I have many times used my body and rifle against the tree to help steady the rifle for a shot.

Love to hear what you think and things you do in your stand to make you a more effective hunter.
ONLY way to go!!!!

tell sackett

I had a portaclimb cadillac I hunted out of for years. Hands down the most comfortable stand I ever owned. I nodded off a time or three.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have an old Brent Hunt that will face either way. I can't stand facing the tree, just doesn't work at all for me.

Timberman

I'll hunting facing the tree in my Summit. I just sit on the folded up seat. Especially when clearcut hunting or a setup with a long shot.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I'll hunting facing the tree in my Summit. I just sit on the folded up seat. Especially when clearcut hunting or a setup with a long shot.
I sat on the folded up seat for a year, then I fell in love with facing tree, So I cut all my seats several years ago. (Lighter and easier to carry)

I put an old army utility strap on my stands so I can sit facing away from the tree, it is about three inches wide and no padding only use it when I have a target because it is uncomfortable for more than 30 minutes, but I can face away and shot if need be.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I also use a roll up medic pack for my pack. It looks big in the picture because I was in the stand when I took the picture / close (it is actually pretty compact when rolled up) I carry it over with a strap over my shoulder and pack under my left arm. When I up the tree I tie it over the cable - secure and quiet, unroll it and everything is right there… from folding saw to jelly beans.5922B1AA-7DDC-4D13-9F43-87DAF90AD79F.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

I loved my old Tomcat II climbing stand. I felt safer facing the tree than I did facing away from it. I sold it about 10yrs ago when I decided to quit climbing trees since I hunted solo almost exclusively and got to thinking about what would happen if there was an accident.