need help

doedoe

I have only killed two deer in my life and it has been two years from the last time i killed one. I realy want to kill one this year, buck or doe i dont care. What shuld i do? My club has three diffrent types of terrain. Long power line that is planted with foods plot, thick area, and a big hill that is all hardwoods. There is a creek that seperates the thick part and the hardwoods. I have been hunting the hardwoods because there is acorns there but have not seen anything. A member killed a eight pointer on the crosing the powerline this weekend. I will be hunting the next few weekends and during the rut. Where would you hunt? Should i use rut sents in a few weeks? I realy need help?
I would be happy just killing a doe what should i do?

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
the thick is always my answer. I like to hunt staging areas and sanctuaries. those kind of places are usually thick. I would try to find where the deer are coming out of the thick to hit the food, and start there. gradually work you way closer to the cover as you go. if you go in the thick full bore you might disturb them in the areas where they feel comfortable. do your scouting carefully. just my .02. hope you get what your looking for!

Arrow Flinger

I would find a trail coming out of the bedding area going to the acorns and hunt the edge of the hardwoods. Also, do some scouting and see if you can find a group of hardwoods the deer seem to prefer. There should be droppings in the area. The problem right now is that there is acorns everywhere and they don't have to move far to feed. Find the deers access trail and stay close to the bedding area. Also, try a little mid day hunting. If you stay close to the bedding area, they might just slip out in the middle of the day for a quick bite.

duke13

I agree with the previous responses. (Maybe i should run for office) I would also , with the rut coming on, check out trails leading to the food plots on the power line. If you have hardwoods that border up to the power line and acorns are dropping in there that might be a good staging area. I would check for rubs and scrapes in the vicinity of the power lines and try to set up somewhere in that area. I like a lot of visibility during the rut when them boys are chasing does! :bounce:

Rebel 3

During the rut I would hunt the power lines. I know someone who has property that is thick with a power line running through it. They have two stands on the power line and they shoot 2 wall hangers each every single year and usually carry guests that kill one or two on the power lines. Also, hunt the edges of the thick stuff. You said you just wanted to kill a deer, and it did not matter if it was a buck or a doe. If this is the case you should have no problem killing a deer hunting over power lines especially in the coming weeks.

doedoe

thanks for the info guys

if i use doe in rut urine will that scare off does? Is the a sent you can use for bucks and does?

reylamb

For what it is worth, I have never known of estrous scents to scare off does. Then again, I do not hunt with scents, so I may not be the most qualified person to get scent advice from.

I have hunted power lines in the past, and they were always productive the first couple of hours of light, and the last few hours of light. During the middle of the day they always seemed to slow down in activity.

Hunt the thick stuff.

How2fish

Use a doe urine scent..that will attact does and bucks...biggest advice I can add to the other good advice you've gotten is stay in the woods...the longer the better...if you have to change stands do so, if taking a book will help you stay longer do so.....nothing helps stack the odds in a hunters favor more than good scouting and time spent on stand....and if I just wanted to kill a deer and didn't have a lot of time to scout...I'd setup on that powerline and pack a lunch...sooner or later a deer will appear...Good luck and let us know how ya do! :clap:

doedoe

When you say doe urine do you mean regular or estros urine? Thanks. I took a few days off and im planing on hunting sun up to sun down on those days we'll see what happens.

How2fish

Regular...during the rut a buck will sometimes check it out and does will too. But I'd use some doe in heat if your hunting somewhere you can see aways..it will draw bucks and alot of times the does will just ignore it. If your hunting real thick stuff use regular...just my 2 cents Good luck....remember sit and watch....I go thu 4-6 books a hunting season...lol :fine: