Need some .22 help please

ASH556

Rimfire Trainer thoughts:

Hello gents, I would appreciate some input on a subject that I've been struggling with a bit lately. We all know that .22's are cheap and fun to shoot. If you have a .22 silencer (and I do) that makes things even better. For pistols, I carry and shoot the S&W M&P9. Thus, the M&P22 is a logical choice for a .22 counterpart. I purchased one this week and have already run a couple hundred rounds through it both suppressed and un-suppressed. It is a great deal of fun, but also useful as a training aide because size-wise it's the same as my 9's. It even fits the same holsters so I can practice drawing and putting rounds on target from the holster. My question is in regards to a rifle. I use and train with the AR15 but due to the price of 5.56 ammo, shoot it somewhat sparingly. Thus, I'd like to have a .22 rifle as a training crossover. The easy and logical answer is to get an M&P15-22. I've had one before and while it was fun, I didn't use it much and thus sold it. I really wish I hadn't now and want to buy another. I like the 15-22 because it's the same size and uses the same controls as the
5.56 AR. The issue I have in getting another right now is financial. I cannot go out and spend the money on one, so I'm looking at selling/trading some other firearms for what (along with the M&P22 pistol) would be my most-used firearm.

The trade:
I have a Browning Buckmark .22lr pistol that I had threaded to use as a suppressor host, but I so much prefer the M&P that I can afford to move the Browning. I also currently have a Marlin Model 60 semi-auto .22 rifle. I really don't like the rifle, but my (somewhat estranged as he left when I was 6) Father gave it to me when I was 5, so I guess there's some nostalgia there (although not really any good memories). I have it set up with some "Tech Sights" aperature-style sights so the sight picture resembles that of an AR. I also have a red dot I was going to add and co-witness, but even with that, the ergonomics are all wrong, not to mention FCG manipulation and loading controls. Thus, I feel like it's not really useful as a training aide, but would more just be "plinking" and wasting ammo.

Hence, my thought is that between the 60 with the Tech Sights and the Buckmark, that would be enough money to purchase the 15-22 that I really want. Another plus to the 15-22 is the threaded barrel that I could use my suppressor on. Now, as far as other .22 rifles go, I have a 10-22T setup with a Zeiss scope and a threaded barrel that is a very nice "suppressed precision" .22. I love that gun, but it's not really setup to mimic an AR. I also have a Reminton 511 Bolt action sporter that I inerited from my great-grandpa and a Winchester model 270 slide-action that was a gift from a buddy. I say that to point out that I have other .22 rifles and thus I don't think I would miss the Marlin.

So, with all of that said, do y'all think it's a good idea to swap the Buckmark and the 60 for the 15-22 or should I sell the Buckmark (gonna happen either way) and just take a few months to save the remainder for the 15-22. Should I even try to make the Marlin work or is the 15-22 the way to go? I guess the bottom line is I really don't like the gun at all but a part of me is afraid that someday I might regret selling it because of nostalgia. Then again, I'd rather make good memories with my son (currently 9 months) with a 15-22 than trying to mess around with that stupid tube-fed 60.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Offroadtek

Sounds like a workable plan you have. Was I in the same situation I would trade the buckmark off with no problem. I would try to save up some cash so as not to trade the Marlin. I wouldn't want to trade the marlin for two reasons, I wouldn't want to trade a gun that I have history with. Also marlins don't bring enough to be worth getting rid of. That's assuming the marlin is your standard 60 worth 80-100$. Sights might make a difference but usually don't sadly.

ryanh487

If you already have an AR, have you looked into the .22 LR conversion kits/uppers out there? Might find a cheaper alternative to the M&P.

ASH556

If you already have an AR, have you looked into the .22 LR conversion kits/uppers out there? Might find a cheaper alternative to the M&P.

Yeah, the issue is that a .22 is dirty and I'd rather not gum up my Daniel Defense rifles with all that 22 blowback crud. Also, the AR has a slightly larger bore, which affects accuracy.

rjcruiser

Trades can be difficult to do with multi-guns and no cash involved.

If you don't like the Marlin 60, sell it/trade it along with the Buckmark. An un-used gun is an un-used gun.

That being said, like offroadtek mentioned, it's hard to sell a working gun...especially one that you're supposed to hang on to, for $80-100. If you're on the fence about it...keep it. $80 isn't worth the chance of wishing you had it later on.

GunnSmokeer

Don't sell your first rifle

I would caution you against selling the gun your Dad gave you when you were 5.
That's got some family history behind it, and that should be worth more than the $200 or so that it would bring in a sale or trade.

I'd suggest putting a sling on that Marlin and using it for training (yourself, your kids, other interested young shooters among your nieces and nephews) in 3-position shooting.

Use it to get people ready for an "Appleseed" shoot or some other kind of bullseye rifle shooting at 25 to 100 yards.

(since it's got a tube-fed magazine, it's not "ideal" as a Liberty Training Rifle [LTR] but I hear that Appleseed will let you simulate a "magazine change" without actually pulling out the magazine tube/ pusher).

OTHER SUGGESTION: The Marlin model 60 is known to be accurate. Put a good scope on it and keep it as a precision rimfire rifle to achieve accuracy levels that your M&P 15 won't match. Everybody should have a scoped .22 with a traditional magnifying scope with crosshairs.