New muzzle loader

shdw633

I own 4 ML's, three are in 50 cal and my Omega 45 cal.....I love my Omega 45, it's my go to hunting ML. I have a Remington 700 Ultimate that I use when I am hunting Midwest due to hunting open cornfields and other longer range possibilities (200 yards plus) but for general ML hunting in Georgia and Florida, I love my 45.

JR924

I have a NEF Huntsman 50 cal and a Disc Elite 50 cal. You can get smaller caliber bullets in sabots that have a flatter trajectory like the Dead Center bullets. One thing that in certain states like Colorado, to hunt elk with a muzzleloader you need 50 cal for bullets and 54 cal for round ball.

Darkhorse

If targets and small game is your targets then either a .45 or .50 will be fine. I think I'd prefer a .45 for this.
"BUT" if deer and hog sized game hunting is what it will be used for then I would go with.....54......,no sabots, just a full diameter .54 projectile.
Don't think a .54 won't shoot good either. When I was shooting matches all over and winning all I used was a .54
CCI06272017-0002-657x1024.jpg

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
I’ve got a mcwhorter 45 cal. Best muzzleloader you can buy. Good out to 800 yards all day long. Smokeless, modern , bought it for hunting the Midwest , just got back and took a buck at 240 yards and left a hole and blood trail ray charles could
Have followed. Made in doe run, Georgia

Attachments

• IMG_5558.png
    IMG_5558.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

menhadenman

I’ve got a mcwhorter 45 cal. Best muzzleloader you can buy. Good out to 800 yards all day long. Smokeless, modern , bought it for hunting the Midwest , just got back and took a buck at 240 yards and left a hole and blood trail ray charles could
Have followed. Made in doe run, Georgia
If you look at velocity and BC it’s hard to argue against a 45 with the right bullet. I made the switch last year with the accura. Check out Kyle Pittman he’s doing some wild stuff with smoke poles.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
If you look at velocity and BC it’s hard to argue against a 45 with the right bullet. I made the switch last year with the accura. Check out Kyle Pittman he’s doing some wild stuff with smoke poles.
Yeah they are just as good as a rifle now. When I went to look at them , Kyle rovig at mcwhorter went out back with me and we shot it. I was dead on at 800,700,600, and 500. Mine has a Swarovski scope from them that they add there own Turrets to, say the deers at 700 yards all you do is turn the top turrett to the number 7 and hold normal and your bullseye all day long. It’s unreal . I love it also because it’s smokeless and doesn’t require hardly any cleaning. I use the load they built for that specific gun which is 76 grains of powder and a monster 325 gr Pittman bullet. They’re out of this world. And they are located just outside of moultrie in Doerun, Ga. They have a hunting show called Precision Hunting that is on once a week on the outdoor channel.

menhadenman

Yeah they are just as good as a rifle now. When I went to look at them , Kyle rovig at mcwhorter went out back with me and we shot it. I was dead on at 800,700,600, and 500. Mine has a Swarovski scope from them that they add there own Turrets to, say the deers at 700 yards all you do is turn the top turrett to the number 7 and hold normal and your bullseye all day long. It’s unreal . I love it also because it’s smokeless and doesn’t require hardly any cleaning. I use the load they built for that specific gun which is 76 grains of powder and a monster 325 gr Pittman bullet. They’re out of this world. And they are located just outside of moultrie in Doerun, Ga. They have a hunting show called Precision Hunting that is on once a week on the outdoor channel.
That blackhorn 209 is the real deal. Think I have five jugs of it.

Need to get some of the Pittman bullets - we’re thinking Colorado elk with smoke poles this coming year.

earlthegoat2

That blackhorn 209 is the real deal. Think I have five jugs of it.

Need to get some of the Pittman bullets - we’re thinking Colorado elk with smoke poles this coming year.

During the muzzleloader season?

What regs does CO have for muzzleloaders. I’ve heard of stuff like no scopes and no sabots.

menhadenman

During the muzzleloader season?

What regs does CO have for muzzleloaders. I’ve heard of stuff like no scopes and no sabots.
Yes you’re right - we’ve got other smoke poles with iron sights and such. I think 209s are OK there but you’re right on scopes. Don’t know if Pittman bullets are good to go there or not.

I’ve hunted WA OR and ID too, they’re even worse. Can’t use 209s and gotta have an exposed breech.