Night Coyote Hunting

dawg7478

I am looking to start hunting yotes at night. Who has some experience with night vision, either thermal or not. I could probably go as high as $1500 on the scope. Almost all shots would be 70 yards or less if that matters. I have never used any type of night vision. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

sleepr71

I’d try to hook up with some guys that do it a lot(probably find more hog hunters than coyote hunters)..and see how you like their nv scope. As Chase said^^^...save up until you can’t stand it & buy the best you can afford. I understand that Pulsar Thermals are the best bang for the buck now...

Pulsar makes a quality scope for near 3500.

I own a Trijicon Mk3 that I paid 4,000 for and I would trade it for a pulsar in an instant.

There are a few things in life that you do not want to cheap out on... Thermal Scopes are one of those things.

Personally, I would rather save a little longer than rush and buy something that I will hate and have a difficult time reselling. I also would not go the night vision route when they are pretty close in price to thermals... You see so much more with a thermal.

Out of the group of guys I hunt with, three own pulsars and two of us are on trijicons. Pulsars see clearer and further by far.

chase870

Possum Sox

I own a Trijicon Mk3 that I paid 4,000 for and I would trade it for a pulsar in an instant.

There are a few things in life that you do not want to cheap out on... Thermal Scopes are one of those things.

Personally, I would rather save a little longer than rush and buy something that I will hate and have a difficult time reselling. I also would not go the night vision route when they are pretty close in price to thermals... You see so much more with a thermal.

Out of the group of guys I hunt with, three own pulsars and two of us are on trijicons. Pulsars see clearer and further by far.

Is it the IR Hunter MK3 that Trijicon has

Is it the IR Hunter MK3 that Trijicon has
It is. It’s a tough scope. And I’ve killed north of 50 dogs with it, but it gets really grainy When you zoom in to maximum zoom and it has to me manually recalibrated when it gets fuzzy.

Pulsar automatically recalibrates and the zoom is much clearer.

geebler

Could you explain the "lighter or candle" method of conditioning a slate call, please!

Thanks and good luck today!

Which pulsar are using that can "see clearer and further by far" compared to trijicon?
In my experience I would much rather have the BAE cores in trijicon's than the pulsar platform.
Pulsar makes good thermals for the price; but there is no comparison between the two if comparing the same objective diameter. If you are comparing a 50mm pulsar to a 19 or 35 millimeter trijicon then of course it will pick up further.

Pulsar Trail xq38 I believe. its either xq or xp I do not own it so I never really learned the names of it.

The zoom is far less grainy and I could identify a dog very clearly at 300 yards. At 200 with my mk3 you can see a blob moving but nothing more.

geebler

Above you stated that you would trade the trijicon for a pulsar, I'll trade you a pulsar xq38 for your mk3.