No.1 Son got His First Thunder Chicken!!!

Slasher

No.1 Son (14 y.o.) went on his first turkey hunt today...

Went late due the forecasted cold... So it was about 0830 once we got in the woods... Had a couple in the bottoms talking to us.... I tried setting back about 20 yds behind him, but of course between his excitement, youth,and inexperience... Either nothing or the lone old fella trying to sneak in from behind...

Many miles covered... Went to pull some stands and at 1:30 we ended up parking near a food plot on top of a hill... only to see a a couple gobblers following a hen across the food plot... After sitting in the truck watching them wandering off... No1. son wanted to go after 'em... So we got out and got our stuff on... And away we went!!!

We dropped off the hill and circled around about 200-250 yds around the hill equal to about the far end of the food plot we were skirting... He thought they were still on the plot and began his move slowly back up the hill... I started calling... WHOOPS!!! They had dropped off below us.... Boom down the hill he came... He froze in the open pines as the hen came out... I signaled him to drop and after a minute he did... Lucky he had dad's ghille suit on!!! As he crawled about 5 yds into a fallen 4 in pine... he set up to shoot from over the top...

She had us penned down, and came from our left to right... She'd start calling and we were frozen about 10 and 15 yds away... Once she passed and started up the hill we were in the perfect spot! A hen walking away from us and three lonely gobblers looking for love, on the other side of us!!! ThankYou Lord, for looking after fools and small children!!! So as she got louder, they kept firing off!!! No.1 son was 10-15yds in front of me and the Glass call worked it's magic with the slightest note wether it was a purr or lonesome hen.... The boys came to within about 20 yds and started Blowing up and strutting and a Gobbling!!!

I was whistling the Bob White (call to shoot) as they were strutting and a drumming... But he was blocked by a branch of the pine... It seemed like eternity to Dad, but was probably only 40-50 seconds as he slowly rose to clear the branch...A loud Boom!!! And he did well!!! I know I have blown easier set-ups, but I am an extremely proud Pappa tonight!!!

9IN BEARD
1 1/8 IN SPURS
17.5 LBS
Well Done Jesse!!!:fine:

Last edited:

trophyslayer

awesome.... he'll never forget that hunt for the rest of his life

turkeykirk

Good job

Toddmann

All smiles for that young man. Congrats

georgia_home