No see’ems

patriot15joe

We have lived in our house now for going on 5 years. This year we have no see’ems for the first time. And we have them bad! They are worse than mosquitos. I have called a couple insect treatment places and they all say the can treat the yard for them but don’t guarantee it. They only guarantee fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes,

Does anyone know of something that can reduce or remove thee things?

Logan77

"What do Marines use as insect repellent?
But it turns out that there is one moisturiser that the servicemen swear by - because it doubles up as an insect repellent. Avon's £2.25 Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray is not only used to hydrate the skin, but also apparently manages to effectively keep the mosquitoes away.Aug 22, 2017"

Original dawn dish soap also. Lots of mentions how good it works.

Continued Searching - lemongrass is apparently very good and used to repel many insects, bugs, and even snakes.

Last edited:

pjciii

I use spectricid triaszacide(spelling) on yard, bushes, trees, landscape, flower garden. Just about everything. It kills most everything unfortunately the good bugs also. After an hour or two it is kid and pet safe. I mostly do it for fleas and ticks for my dog.

oldfella1962

"What do Marines use as insect repellent?
But it turns out that there is one moisturiser that the servicemen swear by - because it doubles up as an insect repellent. Avon's £2.25 Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray is not only used to hydrate the skin, but also apparently manages to effectively keep the mosquitoes away.Aug 22, 2017"

Original dawn dish soap also. Lots of mentions how good it works.

Continued Searching - lemongrass is apparently very good and used to repel many insects, bugs, and even snakes.
one of my son's friends told me about lemon grass, but I never tried it out. I just don't get bothered much by insects, so I never use insect repellent except for ticks.

Redbow

Not sure what No See Ums are unless they are sand gnats. Here on the coast the only thing that will keep them off all day is a good stiff breeze. Skin so soft will help.

pjciii

Not sure what No See Ums are unless they are sand gnats. Here on the coast the only thing that will keep them off all day is a good stiff breeze. Skin so soft will help.
That is because you can't see No See Ums. They are very irritating. When I trimmed my bushes in Lville I got to where I just a long sleeve shirt and pants.

Redbow

That is because you can't see No See Ums. They are very irritating. When I trimmed my bushes in Lville I got to where I just a long sleeve shirt and pants.
Sand Gnats are the same way until bite you. Stinging little rascals get into your eyes, ears everywhere there is exposed skin.

Core Lokt

They are one in the same.

Flying teeth that you can't see. As red said a stiff breeze is best but there is a product called Sunsect that works pretty dang good on them.

Logan77

one of my son's friends told me about lemon grass, but I never tried it out. I just don't get bothered much by insects, so I never use insect repellent except for ticks.
People are surprised when while they are getting bit by many mosquitoes, I am doing something in the same area/ yard/ patio, sometimes when permitted without a shirt on, and I don't get bit at all. This happens for some others also, and seems simply to be based on what they eat or don't eat daily or often. Since insects are drawn to sugar and other things and substances , often by the smell or odor, and also they stay away from some odors well known, that makes sense, right ? Note that insect repellants may be something none-chemical , or something at least natural, that insects stay away from in the plant and animal world, and finding and using these non-toxic helps can have great rewards without risks (without risks from the insects - corporations profiting from chemicals have sometimes, if not often, done horrible things to 'protect' and increase obscenely their profits with toxic things.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I can`t help you about keeping them out of your yard and house but if you`ll spray your hat and shirt with peppermint or lavender spray and none of the biting bugs that fly will mess with you. After I started using this I quit using my thermocell.

Logan77

Several to many different plants, oils,
Is there nothing I can treat my yard with to rid them? Im Not finding any clear answers online.

for examples speed read thru this online search terms results:
search terms: spray dawn dish soap over yard to eliminate no-see'ums

There are many effective means to try, one at a time, or several depending on cost and time....

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have them bad this year too but I’m behind on my “death to all insects and anything else that gets in the way” spray regimen which will also probably take 5 years off my life too. They are AWFUL the last few days.

Hillbilly stalker

I can`t help you about keeping them out of your yard and house but if you`ll spray your hat and shirt with peppermint or lavender spray and none of the biting bugs that fly will mess with you. After I started using this I quit using my thermocell.
That reminded me of something @Nicodemus . My maw maw always had a weed that came up in her flower bed every year. She called it penny rile, I later read up on it and found it’s also called penny royal or pudding grass. When we headed out to the garden of an evening, we would grab a small stalk, crush it and rub it up and down our arms. It kept the skeeters and/or sweat bee’s at bay. It used to be in flea collars for cats and dogs. I’ve also read it was toxic to humans, at least the penny rile oil is, but it never hurt anyone I knew. It worked, it had a spearmint smell to it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That reminded me of something @Nicodemus . My maw maw always had a weed that came up in her flower bed every year. She called it penny rile, I later read up on it and found it’s also called penny royal or pudding grass. When we headed out to the garden of an evening, we would grab a small stalk, crush it and rub it up and down our arms. It kept the skeeters and/or sweat bee’s at bay. It used to be in flea collars for cats and dogs. I’ve also read it was toxic to humans, at least the penny rile oil is, but it never hurt anyone I knew. It worked, it had a spearmint smell to it.
It's very dangerous for pregnant women, it can cause miscarriages.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is there nothing I can treat my yard with to rid them? Im Not finding any clear answers online.
If there was, it's about the last thing I'd do, because it will probably kill every other living thing there, including beneficial stuff. And gnats have wings and move from place to place. You gonna douse the whole area with poison for miles around? That's not good for anything. I just deal with them or use a repellent. They are just a normal part of being outside in our part of the world.

BeerThirty

Man, these no-see-ums have got to be one of the most despicable things about living in the south! We had huge bloodsucking misquitos and flies up north. But these no see-ums. I don't know what it is, but they really like me. I'll walk out to my garden for 10 minutes and I'll no joke have 20 bites from these devil spawn. They usually hammer me on my ankles, front/back of my knees and my elbows. Funny thing is: they don't bite my wife or kids.

And the problem is, I hate bug spray with a passion. I hate the way it smells and feels on my skin. The wife won't let me sit on the couch or go to bed if I have bug spray on and makes me shower. So usually, I just bit the bullet and get eaten alive instead of using bug spray.