No see’ems

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I can`t help you about keeping them out of your yard and house but if you`ll spray your hat and shirt with peppermint or lavender spray and none of the biting bugs that fly will mess with you. After I started using this I quit using my thermocell.
I knew about peppermint but lavender? Didn't know that one.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Skin so soft works. We used to keep a bottle of it in the truck when I worked in Florida.

Toliver

I've never reacted much to mosquito bites but these dang things eat me up. I'm just glad they are deterred by thermacell as much as mosquitoes are. Usually by the time you're itching, they've already moved on. I have only ever caught a few while still on me. They seem too small to even be able to penetrate our skin until you see what they look like magnified.

275-florida-mosquito-gator.png

little rascal

Try wearing a Dryer sheet. Rub it on your bare skin, then wear it on your hat or in shirt pocket. We used to tie them to back of our hat at the skeet club and they keep the gnats away and other insects.

35 Whelen

I can`t help you about keeping them out of your yard and house but if you`ll spray your hat and shirt with peppermint or lavender spray and none of the biting bugs that fly will mess with you. After I started using this I quit using my thermocell.
Do you make your own spray or buy a peppermint mosquito repellent?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Since I'm willing to give that a try, what kind of lavender? Just anything lavender scented, or does it have to be natural lavender extract of sorts?

Just natural lavender oil. It comes in a little spray bottle ready to use.

Logan77

It's very dangerous for pregnant women, it can cause miscarriages.
Very possibly accurate.
Noticed recently many or some hospitals /baby wards/ have reported having no live births for six months or longer, where women have gotten toxic shots (immunizations)... (or other causes?) ....

Grunt-n-bleat

Most of the no see ums bites we deal with in the summer are actually thrips.
Google thrip bites. Painful suckers. Skin so soft works wonders as well as mentioned above drier sheets.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Between those oils for flying biters and drinking apple cider vinegar for ticks and redbugs, I`m pretty much bug free. And in these woods and swamps where I ramble and plunder that is a good thing.

Hillbilly stalker

An ol timer I used to coon hunt with would take garlic tablets. He swore it kept seed ticks and skeeters off him. I dunno, but walking behind him on hot summer nights….he smelled like a pizza.

Toliver

Most of the no see ums bites we deal with in the summer are actually thrips.
Google thrip bites. Painful suckers. Skin so soft works wonders as well as mentioned above drier sheets.
This makes no sense to me. Most of what I find says thrips don't bite or sting and can't fly. Then another site shows pictures and discusses what a thrip bite looks like. I never even heard of the until your post. Wiki says this about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

Here's what I've always known no-see-ums to be.

All I know is they itch like the dickens and they love the way I taste.

Skin So Soft has been a deterrent for decades but I hate the smell of it. I've never tried dryer sheets. I once attempted the vinegar thing but just couldn't do it. I can't stand being in the truck when my wife and daughter choose to eat salt and vinegar chips.

sinclair1

Between those oils for flying biters and drinking apple cider vinegar for ticks and redbugs, I`m pretty much bug free. And in these woods and swamps where I ramble and plunder that is a good thing.
Same here. We buy a local mix at the hardware store lavender, peppermint and lemongrass.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This makes no sense to me. Most of what I find says thrips don't bite or sting and can't fly. Then another site shows pictures and discusses what a thrip bite looks like. I never even heard of the until your post. Wiki says this about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

Here's what I've always known no-see-ums to be.

All I know is they itch like the dickens and they love the way I taste.

Skin So Soft has been a deterrent for decades but I hate the smell of it. I've never tried dryer sheets. I once attempted the vinegar thing but just couldn't do it. I can't stand being in the truck when my wife and daughter choose to eat salt and vinegar chips.
Yep, that's what we call no-seeums here.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No-seeums down here are sand gnats. They`re nothing but jaws, teeth, and wings. And they so tiny that they can go through screen wire.

oldfella1962

haha funny, or other funny ?

What of other people (and animals) who are unbothered by biting things ?
Mosquitos pretty much ignore me, compared to how they attack my wife.

Logan77

An ol timer I used to coon hunt with would take garlic tablets. He swore it kept seed ticks and skeeters off him. I dunno, but walking behind him on hot summer nights….he smelled like a pizza.
The healthier people often smell like garlic and onions.....
I think this is great - a way to stay healthier, and evidence thereof.

It is better to get used to healthier ways, instead of not.