Northern zone baiting

gaha4548

Is there anyone involved in a lobbying effort to have the Northern Zone included in baiting law.
The law should be changed THIS YEAR to include Northern Zone.

Please advise.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Lol. I'm in the ban corn lobby. Lob rocks at anyone caught with it. And a lifetime ban against corn lobbying.

lampern

No there is not and its probably too late to get it changed.

The legislature in Atlanta would have to change it.

Esau

Many of us don't want it and will lobby to keep it from being passed.

groundhawg

Many of us don't want it and will lobby to keep it from being passed.

Not sure that I understand. Why? Seems that if you do not want to "bait" just do not do it. Be legal does not mean everyone has to do something. Rifle hunting is legal but I still like bow hunting and can choose to only bow hunt if I want.

Of course using a crossbow to bow hunt should be made illegal. :stir: Sorry just kidding. :fine:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Nobody here is going to lobby for anything one way or the other We are all keyboard cowboys who are all type and no action. :type: :stir:

Esau

There are several reasons to be against baiting. I will list a couple, against my better judgement. I know that I will not change anyone's mind.
1. In many areas of the northern zone hunters are seeing far fewer deer and feel that we are killing too many. It seems odd to want to take steps to make killing them "easier"
2. It seems to set a bad precedent for young and new hunter to take shortcuts to kill a deer.
3. The possibility that it spreads disease.
4. It increases the hog population.
If it became legal I would not do it, but I may have negative consequences from those around me doing it. I believe that we should all have as much freedom as possible, until my freedom infringes upon you.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Is there anyone involved in a lobbying effort to have the Northern Zone included in baiting law.
The law should be changed THIS YEAR to include Northern Zone.

Please advise.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Everyone, meet a member of Richies club...

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
vllK7.gif

shdw633

1. In many areas of the northern zone hunters are seeing far fewer deer and feel that we are killing too many. It seems odd to want to take steps to make killing them "easier"

This is what I have always heard was the reason for not allowing baiting in the north and I can understand that. If the herd is not strong then I would understand the need to not have baiting; however, when you hear that they have to send sharp shooters into parks to shoot the deer because there are so many and they are starving to death then it seems hard to understand why you would not want people out there feeding them and taking a few out in the process in order to keep the herd in check. I am referring to a story I read about Red Top Mountain I believe that was the name.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm in the lower SW area of the state, and can say this. In the last three years, several of our members use corn. None have killed a mature buck on it. Our best bucks are killed in the worse areas we have, swamps, thick edges etc. And a few while following does where there is no bait. The good thing about baiting is, it keeps plenty does and yearlings hanging around. The best magnet for big bucks, but they usually stay away from baited areas until dark. They also avoid trail camera's to some extent. We have about fifteen nice food plots, and most of us don't hunt those either. Can't remember a mature buck being killed on a plot in years. It's a different ball game in our region, than what's found in some areas of the state. Photo always improves the post.

Attachments

• PICT0075.jpg
    PICT0075.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 1,017

marathon

I know this is gonna open a whole other can of worms, but you actually can bait in the northern zone. So long as you're out of sight within 200 yds of said bait. Within 200 yds, gotta be out of line of sight. Probably useless statement for those who want "real" baiting. :pop: