OK you flint knappin’ fools…….

Al33

.......I want my membership card!:bounce:

Chocktawlb got it right when he said this knapping thing would consume me. A few weeks back I posted my first ever two knapped points which are the first two in the group pic. The rest of these have been knapped since then with the white quartz one done yesterday afternoon. Most of them are made from Texas flint but there are some obsidian and dacite points in there too. I am most proud of the white quartz one because I made it from a rock I had found a few years ago on the shores of Lake Allatoona and kept for just such an occasion. I wished now I had taken a before pic of the rock. It was about 2.5” long, 1.5” wide and about 3/8ths” thick. It had a good amount of crust that I had to remove but obviously the inside looked great. Perhaps because I have found many of the quartz points I have wanted to make one for a long time and did, in fact, fashion a couple a few years ago but I had no idea what I was doing nor the proper tools to do them with. Heck, I didn't even know I was suppose to abrade the edges.:bounce: With these latest points I certainly used tools more advanced than the Indians used but I am tickled with how it turned out. I shaped it using percussion and finished it off with an Ishi stick.

Several of the points in the group pic were made from pieces of what started out to be knife blades or long spear points. I have yet to make one without breaking it in half or even 3rds.:rolleyes: Thanks to choctawlb and a few others I have learned to get my flakes longer and can now run them an inch or more with pressure flaking on the obsidian but the Texas flint has proved to be much more challenging and I often end up with turtle-backs on my points. Anyway, just wanted to share my progress here among you other knappers and let you know I have been bit pretty hard. I stayed up 'til 1:30 thismorning knapping more quartz and some heat treated coral that I really like.

Attachments

• 24points-1.jpg
    24points-1.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 799
  • quartzpoint.jpg
    quartzpoint.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 778
  • dacitepoint.jpg
    dacitepoint.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 776

j_seph

Think you got the hang of it

Nugefan

now ya done gone and did it , your hooked aint'cha ........:banana:

you'll never be the same Al ....:bounce:

That quartz is awesome , hard stuff aint' it .....:)

ya done good Brother ....:cool:

that ishi stick had better be antler tipped instead of copper ....:whip:

choctawlb

Al,
I gave you full warning up front, and am now making a disclaimer to having any part of you becoming addicted to "Rock". Bad news is "There is no known cure".You have been hard at it for sure, and I have many nights gone out to the shop to do a little knapping, and looked down at my watch and noticed it was 3:00 am.:hair: " Do not underestimate the power of the dark side".
Ken

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You`re doin` some very nice work there Al!! Those are lookin` good! Remind me to put aside a special spall I have, for you!!

Handgunner

Fine lookin' points, Al!!

Keep up the good work, but show us some blood!!!! ::ke: :bounce:

OconeeDan

Al, those look great! I think it would be very nice to make a pendant with one of them by wrapping gold wire as you would haft it, hang it from a necklace.
Dan

Al33

Thanks everyone!!! I am really enjoying this new hobby, and like many have already noted, it IS addictive.:bounce:

Buck

Those points are looking good Al... :cool: Those fingers on the other hand look as if they are takin’ a beatin’ ... :rofl:

hunter_58

when you guys get together, i want to come and see how you'll do this !!!!

knapper

looks good ,so the coral works good for ya .
there is a knap/in in north fla. the 8th/10th good material and good folk

pnome

Nice work Al, now you just need to fix them onto some cedar arrows and you're ready to go hunting with em. Ok, maybe practice a little first.

Woody's Janitor

Thanks everyone!!! I am really enjoying this new hobby, and like many have already noted, it IS addictive.:bounce:

I know a very good addictions counselor!:bounce:

Great work Al !

Latest posts