One boat to do it all?

leoparddog

Or at least most of it.

Me and the Mrs. are likely relocating to Tallahassee for her new job. My requirement is a house on a lake since this will probably become our retirement home in about 10 years. I want a boat that I can take on Lake Seminole and Talquin (the most likely lake for us to live on) and that I can take down to the gulf and fish "near shore". I don't think I'd want to be more than a couple of miles off shore. Something with a V-hull, in the 24' range, and be safe on calm days off shore but get us back to shore safely when the waves pick up.

I've done a fair share of saltwater boating in my life but always in much larger vessels and I really don't want to invest in two boats, one of which would always be sitting waiting its turn.

Any suggestions for manufacturers, models etc would be appreciated.

/edit: My budget is probably $50-60K financed after down payment

Last edited:

Ray357

AWOL
Or at least most of it.

Me and the Mrs. are likely relocating to Tallahassee for her new job. My requirement is a house on a lake since this will probably become our retirement home in about 10 years. I want a boat that I can take on Lake Seminole and Talquin (the most likely lake for us to live on) and that I can take down to the gulf and fish "near shore". I don't think I'd want to be more than a couple of miles off shore and may fish the bays a lot. Something with a V-hull, in the 20-24' range, that can accommodate a trolling motor and be safe on calm days off shore but get us back to shore safely when the waves pick up.

I've done a fair share of saltwater boating in my life but always in much larger vessels and I really don't want to invest in two boats, one of which would always be sitting waiting its turn.

Any suggestions for manufacturers, models etc would be appreciated.
Carolina Skiff.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Are you going to use it for bass fishing?

doomtrpr_z71

A bulls bay or blue wave would do you nicely, a carolina skiff sea skiff would do it a little cheaper but they would ride better if it got rough.

catch22

Ived lived in tally all of my 43 years. We love good folks moving in!! Cmon down :)

Lots of good inshore fishing out of shell point, St marks, alligator point and lanark.

Lake talquin is a tough lake to learn, in my opinion. I would much rather make the ride to lake seminole!

As far as boats....as others have said....a carolina skiff or something similar may be your best option.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Without naming a brand I would suggest a bay boat in that size range.
A skiff will ride rough even on a lake with chop. I have to pee every time I look at a flat bottom skiff.

The only thing you will be limited on is getting in skinny water around oyster bars.

Spend a little extra and get a boat with all stainless hardware. It will pay off in the future.

leoparddog

Ived lived in tally all of my 43 years. We love good folks moving in!! Cmon down :)

Thanks Catch22, yes I've heard Talquin can be hard to learn but I want a house on a lake (that doesn't dry up every year) that is close enough for my wife's commute into downtown. Most of the houses we've looked at online seem to be on prairie lakes. Definitely open to other lake suggestions down there. :)

leoparddog

Without naming a brand I would suggest a bay boat in that size range.
A skiff will ride rough even on a lake with chop. I have to pee every time I look at a flat bottom skiff.

The only thing you will be limited on is getting in skinny water around oyster bars.

Spend a little extra and get a boat with all stainless hardware. It will pay off in the future.

Thanks, I've got two Jackson fishing Kayaks for skinny water and I'm sure they will see plenty of use.

catch22

Thanks Catch22, yes I've heard Talquin can be hard to learn but I want a house on a lake (that doesn't dry up every year) that is close enough for my wife's commute into downtown. Most of the houses we've looked at online seem to be on prairie lakes. Definitely open to other lake suggestions down there. :)

lake Francis and lake Tallavana are in Havana and are smaller private lakes. Closer commute than Talquin but not near the size.

leoparddog

lake Francis and lake Tallavana are in Havana and are smaller private lakes. Closer commute than Talquin but not near the size.

Thanks! Smaller lakes are fine, she wants a lake view and I want to fish from my yard. I can Kayak fish a small lake and maybe spend more money on a more expensive bay boat. She just authorized me to buy a new one if I promise to bring her seafood for at least 10 years. :love: my wife, that is a deal! I'm sure there will be some follow on negotiations about price and features. She wants a potty. :p

Hunter/Mason

I had a 05 Sea Pro SV2300 up until last year. I really hated to get rid of it but I went bigger. I took that boat to the keys, all over the gulf coast, and out past 20 miles. Gator hunted out of it, bass fished, pulled wake boards and tubes. It was a very dry riding boat. Had a 225 Yamaha on it. Did all day trips to islands in orange beach AL hauling 8-10 people was no problem. The boat actually measured 24’. Was very easy to pull even with my wife’s expedition. The sea pros were 0 wood all composite construction and held 80gals of fuel. Also had a I pilot trolling motor. Most versatile boat I’ve ever owned.

twtabb

When you get it all figured out and get the new boat give me a call and I go fishing with you and see if you made the right decision. ?
good luck on finding your boat. There are some good suggestions on here.

Ihunt

I have a 25’ Carolina Skiff DLV. It has a small v but is flat the back 3/4.

For me and my family, it’s about the best 1 boat setup we could find. We can ski/tube and take a group and can go offshore. It does get rough in anything over 1-2 but I just slow down. At 12mph, even 3-4’ seas are no problem and the boat handles it very well, just slow.

There is no perfect boat. You will make compromises somewhere. I would buy the boat based on what you will be doing the majority of the time. Of course, you could just buy 2 boats.