opening day of rifle season(alabama)

silverock

I am just across the chattahoochie from you all.
I love this time of year. Bow season has been awesome and now I am ready to change gears into rifle season. Here in lies my problem. Where to go, I go through this every year so I figured I'd ask you tremendously knowledgeable people.

1. "my honey hole", I have spent most of bow season here with 2 does in the freezer to boot. There are so many white oak acorns on the ground here it is unbelievable. Also less than 100yds from water.(as all these locations are.) I have seen deer (nothing with any bigs horns) in this area every time I have been in here. There are old rubs on trees the size of my leg as well.

2. Hardwood hollow... this is an area that is rarely hunted because of difficulty getting there. It is basically about a 2 acre hollow between 8 year old thick planted pines... a thicket that goes on for days (no one hunts in here (sanctuary)... and the 80 acre swamp ( which this year is more streams than anything because of the drought. There are trails everywhere leading to this area. Again there are plenty of acorns on the ground as well here(although no where as near as the "honey hole) No one has been in here this year.

3. the overlook... again plenty of sign and big rubs from last year as well. lots of acorns. I can see a good ways in all directions rarely hunted as well put a ladder stand in here after the season last year. Probably a hundred yards from a major creek. Also lots of food. Less than 100 yds from our largest food plot. This area is bordered by pines and briars galore.

4. the clear cut... 3 year old clear cut growth is neck high or more.. I set a tripod here with all intentions of being here on opening morning. It is a 10 acre cut over that I can see for days from the tripod. I can also look down into 2 creek bottoms with loads of acorns and fresh water. The bottoms have been hunted this year and a few deer taken off (one good 8 point) I don't feel it has been overpressured by any means but the bottoms have been hunted..

Sorry about the lengthy post, by the way I have checked the wind and all theese spots fit the bill for the wind....It would have been an entirely different list if the wind was different. So I have decided to let you decide. 1,2,3, or 4. I will do as you advise. And post the results.

Thanks so much for the help.

lilburnjoe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I vote on area 4. Big bucks love the heavy cover of overgrown clear cuts with access to close water and their favorite food (white oaks)

Heavy Cover = Big Bucks !!

scott mclain

I would go with number 2. Just sounds like the right spot, get in there early and sit and wait. No pressure in there all season, should be good

DSGB

I vote on area 4. Big bucks love the heavy cover of overgrown clear cuts with access to close water and their favorite food (white oaks)

Heavy Cover = Big Bucks !!

I agree! That's where I'll be tomorrow morning in Russell County. Once the guns start banging, the wise bucks are heading for thick cover. I killed a decent eight pointer on the same cut opening day last year.
What county are you hunting in?

kevincox

I like 2 and 4. I would hunt #2 opening weekend and get in #4 a little closer to the rut. Good Luck

DSGB

Good luck to you!

fountain

well you have 2 days and two good stands-- 2&4. try em both out a morning and afternoon a piece, then fine tune it for the next weekend.

silverock

well you have 2 days and two good stands-- 2&4. try em both out a morning and afternoon a piece, then fine tune it for the next weekend.

And ther in lies the problem if I had both days to hunt I would hunt them all. I only have Saturday morning as I teach Sunday School at church and plenty of other family committments as well.

You hunt area 4 and I will hunt area 2 and let you know what I saw. All I need is the cordinates LOL. Good Luck wish I had your problem, I don't even have 1 spot to hunt.

WAR EAGLE

I would go with #2. I love hunting hardwoods and with that thick cover on all sides I dont see how you would go wrong. I live in Opelika, but actually do most of my hunting in GA. Looking for a good lease over here for next year though so if you hear of one let me know.

fountain

tough perdicament, in the best way. just go and enjoy being wherever you are. he could show up anywhere checking for does. all of those sound good, but i still think i would pick #4. hunt it as long as possible tomorrow. lots of times they will show up later on in the morning on a clear cut. i love huntin them