Opening Day

Huntyoung280

Hey guys, I am going up to Helen this weekend to scout for bear with a crossbow. I am looking into scouting just north of unnamed campground Saturday and possibly driving up to Swallow Creek WMA Sunday. Rain or shine. Any advice on these areas or entry points?

Last edited by a moderator:

tree cutter 08

As mentioned in previous threads, any named spots and specific areas on this forum will guarantee that you will have extra company. There's enough info on this forum to be able to know what to look for and and how to kill a bear about anywhere in the mountains. Read back over the last year or so, pull some maps and have fun.

Huntyoung280

Thanks guys, I figured I was clueless enough that anyone following my lead will be following the blind on specific spots. Still wouldn't want the extra company though.

ddd-shooter

As mentioned in previous threads, any named spots and specific areas on this forum will guarantee that you will have extra company. There's enough info on this forum to be able to know what to look for and and how to kill a bear about anywhere in the mountains. Read back over the last year or so, pull some maps and have fun.
This right here.

Also, boot leather. There really are no shortcuts. Look for acorns.
You may just walk right up on one begging to be shot. lol

chrislibby88

Did you learn anything from not seeing bears?
I personally learned a TON two years ago when I walked 20+ miles all week unsuccessfully. It was a rough year, no white oaks, sign wasn’t concentrated but I did find some hot spots. I also did see a bear, but not when/where I expected to, and tried to take a running shot after we both saw each other. I missed. Came back last year and got on bears with knowledge from the previous year, and took home some bear meat. Hoping to do the same next week.