Orienteering

sprewett

Any of y'all done any orienteering with the group in Georgia? Last time I used a compass was when I was in the boyscouts many moons ago. Sadly, I have forgotten and I do not want to be reliant on a smart device in the big woods due to probable lost of signal. My question are the group outings rookie friendly?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Any of y'all done any orienteering with the group in Georgia? Last time I used a compass was when I was in the boyscouts many moons ago. Sadly, I have forgotten and I do not want to be reliant on a smart device in the big woods due to probable lost of signal. My question are the group outings rookie friendly?
Never done any of that, but if you want to borrow one of my lensatic compass's before you go.. let me know.

sprewett

@Batjack I think I am gonna just go practice at Redtop they have a permanent course set up. I really want to get proficient before I head to Cohutta and the National Forest.

Toliver

Set your pace count before you go so you can keep up with distance. Without distinct land features to help figure out where you are, direction ain't much good without knowing how far you've gone. And land features ain't real easy to see in the woods.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
@Batjack I think I am gonna just go practice at Redtop they have a permanent course set up. I really want to get proficient before I head to Cohutta and the National Forest.
Good idea.. just remember that Red Top is a "starter course" and Cohutta is about 5 steps up.. not the "hills" we got around here. Once you think you got it go'n on.. hit Cohutta a time or three before you really need to.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Set your pace count before you go so you can keep up with distance. Without distinct land features to help figure out where you are, direction ain't much good without knowing how far you've gone. And land features ain't real easy to see in the woods.
How many sets of "klick" beeds you got? ;)

Toliver

How many sets of "klick" beeds you got? ;)
Oh those are either ancient history or in a box somewhere that I've forgotten about.

And almost forgot, better practice a known distance in steep terrain. Pace count will be different than on flat ground. I got so lost one time up in Dahlonega on that land nav course that I just found the river on the map and followed it back upstream to camp. I totally lost track on those near vertical inclines.

sprewett

Good idea.. just remember that Red Top is a "starter course" and Cohutta is about 5 steps up.. not the "hills" we got around here. Once you think you got it go'n on.. hit Cohutta a time or three before you really need to.
Good advice

sprewett

Yep. Every time your right foot hits the ground 1000 times.. flip a bead and it's a Klick... roughly 6000 feet or a nautical mile.
Dang you mean I got to count to a thousand. I would quite possibly be found by the time I completed that task. Hahahahaha

Hillbilly stalker

Yep. Every time your right foot hits the ground 1000 times.. flip a bead and it's a Klick... roughly 6000 feet or a nautical mile.
Thought so. Land Nav is a perishable skill……use it or loose it. When I started hunting swamps I tried to brush up. I was a no go at that :banginghe, been too long. I went to our local guard unit and started looking for someone wearing a “ Jungle patch”. No luck ,I learned to work a Garmin like a pro, carried 2 of them. 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Hard to triangulate in a swamp.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Dang you mean I got to count to a thousand. I would quite possibly be found by the time I completed that task. Hahahahaha
Only on your right foot and you ain't got nothing else to think about. Try do'n it in a war zone. ;)

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Thought so. Land Nav is a perishable skill……use it or loose it. When I started hunting swamps I tried to brush up. I was a no go at that :banginghe, been too long. I went to our local guard unit and started looking for someone wearing a “ Jungle patch”. No luck ,I learned to work a Garmin like a pro, carried 2 of them. 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Hard to triangulate in a swamp.
Sorry I just had to..:rofl:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Try doing a UD course ... at night.

Toliver

Correct on every account. I doubt I could calculate back azimuth anymore. Heck, I'm not even sure I'm spelling it right. At one time I could find an ammo can 2,000 meters from the starting point. I'm not sure I could find a house that far away now. And I learned from my first handheld navigation device that tree canopy can ruin your day. And I was actually hog hunting down at Woody's place at the time. If that thing couldn't see the satellites, it was just a brick.

Hillbilly stalker

Correct on every account. I doubt I could calculate back azimuth anymore. Heck, I'm not even sure I'm spelling it right. At one time I could find an ammo can 2,000 meters from the starting point. I'm not sure I could find a house that far away now. And I learned from my first handheld navigation device that tree canopy can ruin your day. And I was actually hog hunting down at Woody's place at the time. If that thing couldn't see the satellites, it was just a brick.
GPS have came a long way. If you download the maps ahead of time, you don’t need all that reception. Using the WAAS system, both U.S and Russian satellites compile the info. I’ve been in some deep swamps and back in some deep hollers back home, (knock on wood) I haven’t lost signal yet. I always have a plan B tho.