Ossabaw 2023 is in the books

Redman54

Well the January hog hunt is in the books for us. Weather was cool in the mornings and evenings but got warm during the day. Sand gnats were there, but not as thick as I have seen them in the past. Hogs were there, but again, not as thick as I have seen them in years past. You had to put in some work to find and kill them. All I can say is, Cody must love his job and he's good at it. All in all, it was another great trip and lots of new memories made. This was trip #6 for me, my two oldest boys and best friend. It was the first trip for my youngest son, which made it very special. He finally got to experience in real life the stories his brothers talk about on past hunts. He got a good dose of some of the hardest, yet rewarding hunting you can do. We didn't break our record of 22 hogs, but we did managed to scratch out 17, 5 of which might make a sandwich or 2:). Side note: the ones that were caught were released unharmed.
Lone Boat.jpgIMG_7466.jpgIMG_7470.jpgIMG_7473.jpgIMG_7474.jpgIMG_7475.jpgIMG_4983.jpgIMG_4982.jpgIMG_3256.jpgIMG_2933.jpg

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Great pics and great hunt! Cody outdid hisself last year as numbers were way down from the previous year. Looks like y'all still found some good boars!

That table gets around. It's the first thing I grab on the island.

kayaksteve

Awesome. Some of my best childhood memories are down there. We had some great trips to ossabaw. I have a couple priority points so I’m gonna have to get a plan to go back in the next couple years.

Redman54

Great pics and great hunt! Cody outdid hisself last year as numbers were way down from the previous year. Looks like y'all still found some good boars!

That table gets around. It's the first thing I grab on the island.
Yep, we had to carry it a ways this year. I'm just glad no one has decided to burn it.

Redman54

@Danny Leigh - Cody did a controlled burn down on the south end and plans to do a few more. Fire really didn't touch the fence or island but beach side opened up a little. He said he is going to keep burning it until the fence line is open.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Yep, we had to carry it a ways this year. I'm just glad no one has decided to burn it.
Yeah, me too. It comes in pretty handy.

Eric burned the sound end years ago just before the youth hunt and there were still embers smoldering. Changed the landscape completely in the short term. It went from dog fennel over your head to stubble and really opened that old pasture/marsh up. I'm sure it was just as thick by the the next summer, but at least for a few hunts there was not as much cover.

Blackston

Awesome pics thanks for the ride along …. Is the boat ( wreck ), result of hurricane?

Redman54

Awesome pics thanks for the ride along …. Is the boat ( wreck ), result of hurricane?
It very well could be... people will also abandon their vessels rather than get rid of them the proper way when they are no longer operable. It's illegal but they still do it.