Ossabaw PW hunt

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Dad, a buddy and I had a great hunt on Ossabaw last week with weather that was pretty much perfect for a hunt on the coast in October. There were about 50 hunters and about 45 deer taken. I'm guessing about 15-20 hogs were taken. Several 3 year old bucks taken and at least 1 4 YO. Gnats were never bad enough for me to use @Redman54 special oil but did have to use the Thermacell for the skeeters the last evening hunt.

Stayed out all day the first day and had more critters moving from 10:00-2:00 than I had in the morning or evening. Got a couple of hogs and a buck the first day. Did have 2 small bucks chasing, but did not see any older bucks chasing. Passed up a buck sneaking out of the thick stuff at 4:40 on day 2. Day 3 I missed a fast moving hog and got lucky as I was headed back toward the road just after 10:00 and crossed paths with another 8pt.

1666639391659.png

1666639903380.png

1666638966735.png

1666639247657.png

Did some fishing the day before the hunt and caught plenty of reds and trout for supper.

1666640298572.png

1666640412096.png

1666640457957.png

Redman54

No surprise you'd come back with plenty of meat, you are the Ossabaw King! Those are some fine critters! Congratulations on a fantastic hunt. I'm glad the sand gnats weren't bad, they can definitely ruin a good time.

pagejosh26

Congrats! What would you recommend as the primary hunting method? Still, sit on the ground, tree stand? Im going this next week for the gun hunt with my brother.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
No surprise you'd come back with plenty of meat, you are the Ossabaw King! Those are some fine critters! Congratulations on a fantastic hunt. I'm glad the sand gnats weren't bad, they can definitely ruin a good time.
Ha, certainly not the king, but I have been blessed on several of the hunts on the island.

I've had to leave good fishing before due to the gnats being so bad that I didn't care if the fish were jumping in the boat.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Congrats! What would you recommend as the primary hunting method? Still, sit on the ground, tree stand? Im going this next week for the gun hunt with my brother.
Personally, I like hunting from the ground and posting up near thick cover. I can stalk for hogs, but deer tend to see me first. There are several that take tree stands, but depending on the area, the only trees available to climb are palm trees. Setting up near the marsh or dog fennel thickets are usually good areas.

If it's cool, I would suggest hunting all day. I saw more animals during the middle of the day the first day than I did in the morning or evening. Granted, most of the animals were in or near thick cover. I think they sometime pattern the hunters as most tend to come in for lunch. The trucks start picking up at 11:00 for lunch and then take you back out at 2:00. Pack a lunch and you can always come out if you choose.

Good luck to you and your brother!

Redman54

Ha, certainly not the king, but I have been blessed on several of the hunts on the island.

I've had to leave good fishing before due to the gnats being so bad that I didn't care if the fish were jumping in the boat.
You're just being modest... I've left fish biting, ducks flying, and a host of other fun things because of them little blood suckers. I don't despise many things, but sands gnats are on the top of the list.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
You're just being modest... I've left fish biting, ducks flying, and a host of other fun things because of them little blood suckers. I don't despise many things, but sands gnats are on the top of the list.

I'm right there with you. Amazing how such a little bug can make one go insane. Last year I left a hot trout bite due to the blood suckers.

jNick

How’s the duck hunting out off of the island? As far as it sticks out, I’d think it’d be good…..

Redman54

How’s the duck hunting out off of the island? As far as it sticks out, I’d think it’d be good…..
I've never shot ducks in the sound, but it has to be good because I hear them shooting like crazy every time we're at our coast house. We are about 9 miles, as the crow flies, from Ossabaw. We hunt the marsh on our property which also backs up to three freshwater ponds. We've killed everything from teal and woodies, to buffleheads, redheads and gadwalls. Mostly Teal and Woodies. They all fly in from the sound.

Latest posts