Otters

chase870

Possum Sox
Other than the few I have shot over the years, I dont know much about them other than people say you sure enough dont want them in your lake. Now that I have 2 ponds with what appears to be a decent amount of fish I am interested in never having an otter problem

sportsman94

Other than the few I have shot over the years, I dont know much about them other than people say you sure enough dont want them in your lake. Now that I have 2 ponds with what appears to be a decent amount of fish I am interested in never having an otter problem

If your ponds are fed by a creek or overflow into a creek those are the spots to catch them. You’ll pick them up in beaver slide/crossovers coming into the pond, but keeping a 330 or 2 or 5 in the creeks leading to or from your ponds is best IMO. They’ll follow a trickle a looong way to get to a pond. Youll especially see them traveling these small creeks in December through February.

sportsman94

Also, they will hit a pond for a time, then be gone for a time. Don’t get discouraged or complacent if the traps sit for a month or more.

I had a guy call me about trapping otter this winter. They had one killing fish. I told them I wasn’t interested because of the nomadic nature of them, but I would come show them where to set. The killing stopped and that (or another) otter didn’t come back to the pond for another 6 weeks or so.