Outta State Vehicle Purchase

hopper

Since my daughter doesn't seen to want to part with my Jeep I'm thinking of another purchase. Looking at Nissan Xterras 4x4. I want a 2010 or above manual any trim or automatic pro x4, or a 2010 or below manual only any trim since all these come with the better rear differential and avoid the "smod" issues. Not finding alot nearby I have broadened my search radius just to see what's out there. Does anyone know of a national service that can do pre inspections on cars? What's the best way to buy a vehicle with some insurance without physically being able to veiw it? Never have considered buying a car out of state so just wondering. Anyone have experience?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Wife worked at a Nissan dealership, the Xteras had issues.

You ever think about a Toyota?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Don't know that I'd buy a used vehicle out of state, sight unseen.

Maybe put a deposit on a credit card (so you can do a charge back, if needed), then take a road trip to test drive, and pay the balance in person.

Short of that, do you have a friend near the location that can do the test drive/inspection for you?

hopper

Wife worked at a Nissan dealership, the Xteras had issues.

You ever think about a Toyota?
Yes I thought about them. I've been searching for awhile. The issues are smod pre 2010 automatics and possible timing chain pre 2010. The Toyotas cost more and the departure angles are a bit more than I want for a trail rig. All manuals come with the rebranded danna 44 rear. The Toyota are pretty awsome though.

hopper

Don't know that I'd buy a used vehicle out of state, sight unseen.

Maybe put a deposit on a credit card (so you can do a charge back, if needed), then take a road trip to test drive, and pay the balance in person.

Short of that, do you have a friend near the location that can do the test drive/inspection for you?
Unfortunately I try not to have to many friends especially outta state. I think your right though I'm definitely gonna have to make a trip for the right vehicle.

Darien1

I looked XTerras when I was looking for a newer used vehicle. I had a Camry and still have a Toyota Tundra that I'm about to sell. I just don't need two vehicles any more. Back to the point, I read about the problems that the Nissans had and how the 4 Runners were about bullet proof and decided on the 4 Runner. It's only a two wheel drive but I took it down a road that I have never had the nerve to take my Tundra and it went right on through with absolutely no problems.

I think what made the decision for me was listening to one of the online mechanics (Car Wizard on Facebook) who seem to know what he's doing talk about cars to avoid and trucks to avoid. He goes through the list saying this one has this problem, this one is ok for these years but not those and on and on and on every video he says if you buy one of these do it knowing that you may have these problems..........or you could just buy a Toyota and not worry about it.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
@Darien1 a link to the online site that was helpful to you might be helpful to others as well.

hopper

Hope nobody gets me wrong here. I think Toyotas are among the most reliable vehicles on the road better than Nissan probably. I didn't by my jeep tj for reliability but more off road function. I'm sure there really isn't gonna be much different in a built Xterra vs a built 4runner offroad. I just like the Xterra style and smaller footprint plus it's a bit different. I see them but not around every corner. The Xterra 4.0 and m226 axle have a great reputation and many running over 300,000 miles.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Since my daughter doesn't seen to want to part with my Jeep I'm thinking of another purchase. Looking at Nissan Xterras 4x4. I want a 2010 or above manual any trim or automatic pro x4, or a 2010 or below manual only any trim since all these come with the better rear differential and avoid the "smod" issues. Not finding alot nearby I have broadened my search radius just to see what's out there. Does anyone know of a national service that can do pre inspections on cars? What's the best way to buy a vehicle with some insurance without physically being able to veiw it? Never have considered buying a car out of state so just wondering. Anyone have experience?
Another option would be to look up a local mechanic and hire him to go check out the vehicle and give you a report. Probably cost you a couple hundred.... well worth the piece of mind.