Paddle question

fish hawk

Bass Master
Is it one of the solo canoes like a guide 119 or a next or is it a two seater

JC33

I used to have a solo canoe that I paddled with a kayak paddle. I'm 6'1" and used a 240cm length with it. I'm currently using the same paddle in my new kayak, but will likely go to a longer paddle (250cm) as I sit up higher now.

To choose a paddle, think about size, weight and type of water you'll be paddling, as well as the width of the boat and blade type. Length is critical to ensure you get the right stroke in the water...you don't want too short or too long. Think about your budget, then plan to buy a very lightweight paddle if possible. Your shoulders will thank you! The carbon fiber and fiberglass paddles are much lighter than aluminum. That being said, mine is aluminum and very durable and I've used it for years. As for the blade type, you want to get the best shape for your paddling style. The larger/wider blades tend to give your more push, or thrust in the water, but take a bit more effort on the stroke. If you have paddling style where your hands start above your shoulders and enter the water closer to the boat, this is probably the best blade. The skinnier, narrow blades are maybe best for strokes that are out wide,where your hands are normally below your shoulders as you paddle...these blades are a little easier to move through the water, but do not give you the same power.

Ultimately, a lot of it is about preference and if you have any way to demo or try out the paddle first, that is best. Also, just google some info about the paddle types and read up on all this stuff to help you make an educated decision.