Patience Paid Off

beaulesye10

I headed out to the lease this past Friday to take advantage of a North West wind to hunt a stand I enjoy during late season. The stand site is a bend in a spring fed creek that cause a pinch point between a thicket of pines and a boggy broom grass thicket left over from a 3 year old clear cut. There is normally a little water in there, but this year the entire bottom was flooded. I sat Saturday morning seeing a spike and 3 point both well within range but neither a legal deer on the lease. I noticed the pigs had been in the area and decided to come back Friday afternoon to try my luck at bambi or Porky. I was back in the stand by 230pm and by 330 I had already seen 9 piglets and one boar.

At 5pm I had a small boar and then a 100lbs or slightly larger sow working their way around the back of my stand. I wanted to shoot the small boar, but the sow ended up right under my tree. She was quartering away pretty hard but I liked the angle so I picked a spot and started to draw. I remember the fletching hitting my nose and then a red light sticking out of the side of the sow. She shot out the gate hard turning into the hand of the bull rider on her back (my Goldtip blem) She spun for 3 or 4 seconds before giving out a labored breath then running 30 yards into the swamp. Without warning my red light stopped in a small thicket in the middle of the bog. I figured she broke the arrow.

I took a moment to make sure nothing else was coming and decided to go check for blood and grab my arrow. No need in killing the battery on the Nocturnal. I slipped over to impact and found immediate blood. I walked over to my lighted nock and found that the thicket was a wall of gall-berry tangled. I looked at my nock glowing and noticed the arrow was raised and not laying on the ground. Heck it was sticking out of a very dead pig. I used my best offensive lineman skills to punch a hole through the thicket to the sow and retrieve my arrow.

I decided since I couldn't even stand in the thicket she was in and it was a small island in the middle of a very wet swamp I would drag her to the nearest piece of dry land I could stand on and come back and cut her up and take her out in the morning.

I got her out with little work (amazing how easy the drag in water) took a few hero shots, though when I got out only one had saved, and headed for the truck...

The next morning my dad and buddy of mine went back and they watched me cut her up and put her in my pack.

I shot her with my Costalbend bow 69lbs at my draw Gold Tip blems with 250 grains up front. The head I used was a new one I have by Abowyer. Its a left bevel wapiti. It looks like a short fat grizzly broadhead to me. I hit this pig in the top of her back about an inch right of her back bone. right through the last rib, it traveled the length of her body breaking the offside shoulder as it exited and stopped with about 2 inches of shaft plus broadhead protruding . Below is the shoulder where the broadhead exited.

Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Barry Duggan

That's good stuff right there.
I have some of the exact same Abowyer broadheads and have been impressed with them...so far.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Man yeah! Love the story and pics.

Really wish I had hogs close by so I could hey comfy with the recurve