Pellets vs Powder

which do you use in an In-Line muzzleloader

• Powder in a In-line

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Pellets in a In-line

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

Shug

Wanted to know if anyone else had this same problem. I shoot loose powder in my 45cal Kentucky rifle and my 50cal TC New Englander. And 100gr of pellets in my Winchester In-line both in 45cal and 50cal. The pellets dont seem to burn as good and my shots are all over the place. I use 290gr powder belt bullets. The question is have any of ya'll had the same results with pellets? Do you have good results with loose powder in In-lines?

hawgrider1200

I used goex fffg in two different inlines 100 grains behind either a TC maxihunter or a TC shockwave and got good results. 2in groups good enough for u?

lineman33

Try 150gr it may work better if you can,my dad had the same problem with 100 and he changed too 150 and put 2 less than an inch at 100 yards
and thats using JS gold in the stick form

tcward

I've got 3 rifles, inline and sidelock, .45 and .50 cal and loose 777 pyrodex ALWAYS groups better in either of the guns than does the pellet form. Ol' Goex FFFg is even better yet!:smash:

R

redneckcamo

Ive never had the results with pellets that I get with the loose powder !

Slayer

switch to a "better" bullet with a good sabot, ditch the pellets and find some BH209....

here's mine....

250gr Hornady SST(or T/C Shockwave...same bullet)
Harvester Short Black sabot
BH209 75gr weighted (same as 110gr measured)

in my Encore.....drives tacks and clover-leafs at 150 yards

olhippie

...If your gun is tuned out as to load and projectile either form propellant will be effective so far as accuracy and killing power. Pellets do give greater convenience, but at the cost of reduced flexibility with loads.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't shoot an inline, but have a hunting buddy who does. He never got results he wanted with the pellets and now shoots loose powder. Good accuracy, kills a lot of deer with it.