Pen Raised Quail Availability - Any Around?

TDBone

I am planning a hunt on my property at the end of Feb here in S Ga. Unfortunately, it appears ‘everyone’ is out of birds.

Wondering if anyone here knows of someone who stills has inventory for sale, anywhere. We can pick up.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ugahunter2013

I don’t understand why there isn’t more of a supply of birds. There seems to be a huge demand. I am training my first dog now and don’t need them…yet, but even if I did I don’t think I could find any. I am on some groups on FB and it seems preserves buy up everything and don’t leave much to the man that needs some throughout the season.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I don’t understand why there isn’t more of a supply of birds. There seems to be a huge demand. I am training my first dog now and don’t need them…yet, but even if I did I don’t think I could find any. I am on some groups on FB and it seems preserves buy up everything and don’t leave much to the man that needs some throughout the season.
They expensive to raise. Incubators to pens to keep them in. The plantations get the big numbers and then no more up keep for the breeder. when a person just wants several dozen. It cost them more to keep it around than what they get.

This won't help you this year, but next summer(or earlier) you should find a legitimate grower & go ahead & contract with him to raise you some birds & make a deposit on them, so that you can have birds throughout the season! Part of the problem is that the long deer season really hurts bird hunters/dog trainers so that by the time it's safe to take your dogs out (middle of January) most suppliers are sold out of birds!

TDBone

I finally found some ... in Missouri! Called all over the entire SE. Ended up calling someone in Texas who knew of someone in MO that had some. Not cheap, but we got birds coming!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I hope they don't turn out to be homing quail.

mike1225

I'm hearing $4-5 each up here if you can find some!

ghadarits

I'm not sure how far south you are but I think our caretaker usually gets our birds from Beaver Dam plantation near Sparta. That're usually good mature birds not homing quail. Fly to the next county is more like it.

TDBone

Thank you for the info. Have the birds arriving from Missouri tonight. Here's hoping they fly! :)

mike1225

I'm looking for birds for some of my friends. They would take 500 if anybody might have that many.