Pine log hogs

Tom1957

I'm pretty new to hog hunting. I've only killed one. I know alot of posts have been about pine log hogs, but I'm going today to see if I can get one. I have found some very large areas full of fresh tracks, wallers, and such. Literally looks like they were on 4 wheelers lol. Not sure if they come in at night looking for food,( I presume they are). My questions are, do I sit amd wait in these areas, or should I spot and stalk? I can't find the trails where they come into these areas. Should I go up on the mountain behind these areas? Hunt the thickets? Everytime I go there, these areas are hit very hard and it's always fresh signs. The last time I went, I could literally smell them, I walk the creeks, so any help.would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

bany

look for thickets. Heavy brush, thick grass or other under growth. They like cane thickets and they lay beside big trees and logs. So just about everywhere ?. They're either laying down or eating on their way to eating and if you’re fortunate you'll hear them mating. So piece of cake right! Good luck and enjoy the woods!
spot and stalk, your in the right area. Gotta find them or them find you.

Tom1957

look for thickets. Heavy brush, thick grass or other under growth. They like cane thickets and they lay beside big trees and logs. So just about everywhere ?. They're either laying down or eating on their way to eating and if you’re fortunate you'll hear them mating. So piece of cake right! Good luck and enjoy the woods!
spot and stalk, your in the right area. Gotta find them or them find you.

Thank you so much for the information. I have never seen a place tore up like this before

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If I’m seeing that much fresh sign I may would set up on it . Especially after a few weeks with not much pressure . I usually stay moving , but if I find the right spot I will sit , especially about dark. Good luck

across the river

It’s not too different from deer in the sense that they will typically be in thickets hiding during the day and feeding at night. The more pressure there is on a place, the more defined that relationship usually is. Not sure how big the area you are talking about is, but during the day I would probably slowly move. and still hunt it. Then if you have a place torn up with freaking rooting, then the last hour or so before dark, I would sit there or between there And whatever thick stuff I thought they were hanging out in during the day.

Tom1957

If I’m seeing that much fresh sign I may would set up on it . Especially after a few weeks with not much pressure . I usually stay moving , but if I find the right spot I will sit , especially about dark. Good luck

Thank you! I find plenty of fresh signs everytime I go. Thank you for the advice hopefully I'll get one today

Tom1957

Thank you! I fin
It’s not too different from deer in the sense that they will typically be in thickets hiding during the day and feeding at night. The more pressure there is on a place, the more defined that relationship usually is. Not sure how big the area you are talking about is, but during the day I would probably slowly move. and still hunt it. Then if you have a place torn up with freaking rooting, then the last hour or so before dark, I would sit there or between there And whatever thick stuff I thought they were hanging out in during the day.

Thank you! I find huge areas of fresh signs all the time. And they are pretty much in the same spots. Going to try and get one today. Thank you for the help

HogKillaDNR

If you can place a trail camera in the area and this will help with the time for showing up.

HogKillaDNR

HogKillaDNR

I'll be the same way once trapping season for hogs opens after Deer season.

Guitar Guy

I have wanted to hunt Pine Log, but looking at the gate situation, I have always been put off by the idea that either I would have to hit the whole thing on foot, or if the gate is open, run the risk of getting my truck locked in for the night - or longer. Not sure if the gate situation has changed, but that always sounded a bit dicey to me.

Tom1957

I have wanted to hunt Pine Log, but looking at the gate situation, I have always been put off by the idea that either I would have to hit the whole thing on foot, or if the gate is open, run the risk of getting my truck locked in for the night - or longer. Not sure if the gate situation has changed, but that always sounded a bit dicey to me.

The gate where I go is always open. I go in the main entrance, go straight back and cross the bridge. I go back a couple of miles to where I always hunt. I'm not the best hog hunter by any means, but these places I hunt have literally been torn to pieces. I can only guess that the pigs are coming in there at night or just about night time. When I tell you it looks like they were on 4 wheelers that's what it looks like. They tear this place up. I just can't find them. I've done still sitting and spot and stalk, I just can't seem to find them. Again, I'm not the best hog hunter by any means, but I know their in there.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
They are probably up on the sides of the mountain if you aren't seeing them in the bottom. Several years ago I found a bottom on Pine Log with lots of sign and tried hunting the bottom with no success. Caught a hog coming off the mountain cutover toward the bottom right at dark and then decided to hunt the cutover next. Hogs were in there thick.

I would find the closest cutover or laurel thickets to where you are seeing the sign.