pistol for my wife with MS

RPM

It was suggested that I post this here.
I originally posted on the firearms thread.
They suggest a few .380's, Berrettas with a tip up barrel, sig p238, Walther pk380 along with suggestions to try some 9mm's.
I'd like her to have the largest caliber she can shoot well.
She has long fingers and does well with my full size Glock with double stacked mag. in .40 s&w.

My wife is disabled with MS and would like to get a hand gun both for the range and carry soon.
She has done well with shooting my Glock model 22/ .40 s&w.
The trouble is, she can't rack the slide.
She tried shooting my revolver but had trouble with the double action.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I want her to be able handle the gun herself start to finish in case there is ever a problem.

I think she would do better with a semi.

Thanks.

redlevel

I just installed a Wolff reduced power spring kit in my daughter's S&W 442 yesterday. She isn't disabled, but she had trouble with the heavy DA pull. The spring kit made a huge difference. This weekend we will fire several hundred rounds to make sure there are no light strikes. I don't anticipate any problems.

Michael F. Gray

I faced the same difficulty when my wife contracted Sjogren's Syndrome, and recovered from neurosurgery. While she owns several handguns, and might manage with adrenalin flowing, she no longer enjoys the target shooting we shared when younger. The answer for her is an old Winchester Model 12 pump in 12 gauge with #6 light loads. I mounted it high, she's 6' tall, near the ceiling beside where she sleeps. She is proficient with it, and likes it. It is unloaded, but she keeps shells hidden close at hand in a former safe deposit box,(keyed), I obtained free when a hotel remodeled with electric keypad models. There is also a loaded .45 1911 in condition 1 stored that she shoots well, but can no longer rack the slide. My Sig P220 lies beside her 1911. We sleep well.

BustABuck

Many women don't have the strength for the slides on many guns even without a disability. I would look into a 38 or 38 special "hammerless". They are easy to load, carry and conceal. There are several "light" versions on the market as well. The only draw back is that without some range time, the tendency is to shoot a little high. But becoming familiar with the gun and a little practice will correct that in no time. They are also available in pink for the ladies.

RPM

Thanks so much for all your suggestions.
I lost my phone and internet service on Monday and didn't get it back until yesterday so I haven't been able to reply.

Stopped in a shop yesterday and she looked at a couple revolvers and semi's.
She was able to pull the trigger on the revolver put the gun went all over the place while she tried the trigger.

She has shot some light load .38's from my S&W #66 along with my .40 s&w Glock.
She Didn't shoot well with or like the revolver but shot very well with my full size Glock.

I've gotten a kit from Brownell to lighten the trigger on my model 66.
When that is done, I'll take her back to the range with both guns.
I'll have her start with target loads.
If she does well with them I'll have her try some self defense loads.

She has her carry permit and her purses are big enough to carry most any gun.
I may end up having her pick a Glock & holster that fit her purse and I'll take care of it for her.

First and foremost I want her safe in an emergency.
To me that's the largest caliber, capacity and gun she can shoot well with the fewest things to think about before pulling the trigger.

Of course, if I can find the right revolver setup, (size, weight, pull) I don't think she would mind having both.:D:cheers::D

I've read about people having problems with putting lighter springs in their semi's.

calibob1

COMMIE LOVER TROLL
.455 webley fosberry, it's a little big for a carry gun but you can rack it and put the safety on. Only trouble is if you can find them they are about 8000 dollars. One of the smoothest revolvers I've shot,barrel stays down with most of recoil backwards.