Pistol

Goatwoman

What kind of pistol would you recommend for a lady to carry ? I want one that I can keep in my car and that does not have a long barrel . I currently have a Taurus 22magnum revolver. However, I treasure this one because I won this pistol.

davidf

curious about your name any relation to the goat man that traveled the south in the 60's.

CAL

A suggestion,make sure whatever you get you can shoot.Had a friend who once said"a hit with a 22 beats the socks off a miss with a 44 mag.".Good luck with your purchase.

dchfm123

any 38secial. If you can manage get her an aluminum or scandium/titanium light weight model. They are failsafe. The only thing that keeps them from fireing is bad ammo. Take her to the range many times until she gets comfortable with it. Teach her how to point and shoot not aim. If she ever has to use it she will most likely not have time to aim.

tv_racin_fan

It comes down to personal preference. For instance, do you prefer a revolver or a semi auto?

I'd look closely at the Ruger SP 101 if a revolver is what you want. Depending on how you intend to carry you may want a spurless model or a DAO (double action only). It makes it easier to carry in a pocket because you dont have to worry about the hammer hanging up when you try to draw. I personally wouldn't suggest a lightweight model as they can be a handfull to handle. Small revolvers are bad enough as it is and most people don't practice as much as they should. I'd also suggest getting it in 357 magnum, you can choose to shoot 38 special out of it if the 357s are not to your liking but you can not shoot 357s out of a 38 special model. However I like the new 327 magnum, same size handgun but with one more round in the cylinder and not as snappy as a 357 with nearly the same energy, you can choose to shoot 32 H&R magnums out of it or 32 S&W among others if the recoil isn't to your liking. Some people don't like them because they don't believe a 32 is large enough for personal defence. I'm of the opinion that a 22 you can hit what you shot at with is better than a 44 you can't, even then I would suggest as large a caliber as you are comfortable with.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5720&return=Y

If you would prefer a semi auto then I would suggest you look at a Kahr CW9 or the even smaller PM9. They are probably the smallest 9mm handguns you can find. They make versions in 40 and even 45 if that is what you want. I like this handgun because it doesn't have a safety you may forget to trip when you need it. It is a DAO version so it is a bit stiffer on the trigger than some but it is point and click without having to think of flipping off the safety. The CW has 7 in the magazine and is easier to reload fast than a revolver.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_cw.html

The wife got a Kahr CW9 earlier this year, she has some issue with the slide but I believe with a bit more work she will be comfortable enugh to carry it. If not she'll get a revolver.

If you have a permit I would suggest you carry on your person and not leave it in the car. I am not a fan of a lady carrying in her purse, I see women all the time leave the purse in the shopping cart and turn away or leave them at their desk. Not only that but a purse is subject to a grab and run. BUT if the purse is what she wants then by all means use it. You may find a fanny pack to your liking or you may prefer to use an IWB (Inside Waist Band) holster. The wife just informed me she doesn't want a holster (little does she know I already have two she can choose from if she likes). Some IWB style can be worn without a belt of any kind but I suggest always using a belt. If a pancake or outside the belt holster is your style then you need to get a dedicated gun belt for it, it will make carry much more comfortable.

While you are thinking about all of this I suggest you check out this website. I think this lady as some awesome ideas and insights.

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

Goatwoman

Keep the info. coming. Yes, I have applied for my permit. I am just waiting for it to come back . However, I have been looking around at pistols. But, I am the bargain shopper. I like the most for my money and the best. I like to see if the handgun is the right size and is exactly what I need. Keep the info. coming. Thanks a lot.
GW

tv_racin_fan

Value has a way of costing. There are several cheaper revolvers than the Ruger BUT I am not sure there is a better value to be had. I always hear a Ruger may not be pretty or elegant but they are made like a safe, extra heavy and meaty and you pretty much cant hurt em. If you look in reloading books they have special loads that can only be used in Rugers in some calibers. I always wanted a Ruger SP101 sans sights that has been really slicked up rounded over on almost all surfaces so it would glide in and out of my pocket, I figure at 5 to 7 yards I really dont need the sights.

You will find a Rossi or Taurus or a Charter Arms for less than the Ruger but I don't think they would be the better bargain. I can't say alot about a semi as I don't know much about them. Lots of people swear by a Glock. You just have to go and hold one in your hand to see what feels right to you. XD, Glock, Springfield, Walther Colt, S&W, SIG, CZ you probably cant go wrong with anything in those brands so long as it suits you. I like the Kahr mainly for it's size. Do not get anything that says Jennings, BRYCO, Lorcin. We have had very limited issue with the Lorcin someone gave my son some years ago but I wouldn't spend money on one and if the law has a gun buy back in town I'll probably take that in for whatever cash I can get out of it to use to purchase something else.

steelhorses

Go to a gun store with a pistol range. They should have a selection of rental guns. Try out a few and see what you like best.

Richard P

G.W. visit womenshooters.com and you will get more advice there. Also see Georgiacarry.org and Georgiapacking.org

shakey hunter

My wife alway wanted a "baby glock 9mm" as she puts it. I rented her one while at the range she found out it had too much muzzle flip for double taps for her. I think she was told this by someone before she shot it thats a different story Then I let her shoot my full size G22 (that was a bad mistake) now she wants it. She said the recoil was more in than up for her on the .40. Look at a .40 or a .38 is what she found out she likes and shots the best. She also has .22 auto.

Last edited:
go revolver keep it simple and go either for a 38 or the new 327 federal or 32 H&R mag. All are good weapons with modern handguns and loads. Plus they don't kick much and you will be able to shoot them a bunch and learn to handle them really well.

Cleankill47

I think in a semi-auto pistol, you should look into a Bersa Thunder9 Stainless Ultra Compact 9mm. It is small, light, and has excellent control. Not to mention that for the negligible recoil, you can get some standard defense rounds with a good reputation without breaking the bank. I had one for awhile but I traded it for my .357 Mag because it was the one I had always been looking for. If I could have it back I would in a heartbeat.

In revolvers, I would say to look into getting a Ruger SP101 in the .327 Mag chambering, since as said before you would have three levels of power to practice/carry with; as each type of round has its applications.

Another good one to look for, since you are familiar with the company is an older Taurus, made before the hammer lock device. They feel nice and have good weight in the hand, which helps with muzzle control and recoil.

If I am right, I believe you have a Taurus 941 with the short barrel, and this revolver is very much like it in many respects, such as weight and feel. The only real difference is the .357 Magnum chambering, which you can also fire .38 specials out of if you so choose:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=240&category=Revolver

Apex Predator

I'm a big fan of the Rugers, but Taurus is a close second. I concur that the 32 H&R Magnum, or .38 would be a great choice.

seaweaver

Hammerless .38 S&W...what is it? the airweight?
My bride carries the 4 shot .22mag.
The .32 colt rossi is "too bulky"....!
Lets hear how you won the current gun!?
cw

Goatwoman

Won

I bought a raffle ticket at the Next Generation Sportmans Banquet ( ladies raffle ). I was the first ticket drawn. The banquet was in Madison. I won it 2 years in a row. :banana::banana::banana: