Planning first food plot

DSGB

I joined a club for the first time this past season in hopes of having a better opportunity for my son to get his first deer. We came close a few times, but never sealed the deal. One of my primary areas has a small plot that was used by a previous member. By small, I mean about a quarter to a third of an acre. It is only 15 yards wide and about 100 yards long. It sits in a bottom between two creeks, with pines to the west, hardwoods along the creek to the east and a two year old clearcut to the south. It necks down to the north where the creeks join.

ScreenShot035.jpg

I didn't do anything with it prior to the season besides put a stand up. The stand is currently in an oak about middle ways along the east woodline, but I plan to move it to the south end. It is a little overgrown with blackberry and some other weeds/grasses, which is why I put the stand where it is. I'm going to take my weedeater with brush cutter attachment this weekend and cut everything down and get some soil samples. Luckily, there is a county extension office not far from the property. I'll be doing the majority of the work with hand tools. The guy that got me in the club has a four wheeler that I can use, but doesn't have any implements for it. I'm hoping to get it limed and whatever else it needs asap, so I can plant it this fall.
I've been reading what you guys have been doing and think I have a good idea of what I'm going to do. I want to plant Durana clover with another cool season crop - either cereal rye or wheat. I thought about going ahead and frost seeding it with clover, but don't want to fight the weeds all summer and I'd rather wait until I can do it right.
Just thought I'd share my plans with you guys, as there are folks here that know a heck of a lot more than me. I'm looking forward to any advice or things I can learn and, hopefully sharing my progress.

Attachments

• Plot North End.jpg
    Plot North End.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 96

DSGB

Here’s a couple more pictures from the stand that show how grown up it is. One looking back towards the pines and clearcut. The other is a screenshot from a video of a spike we watched eat acorns for a 20 minutes. Would have been a great first deer, but we’re in a county with antler restrictions.

Attachments

• 92587632-6303-4571-93E1-1DDA0232F3F0.jpeg
    92587632-6303-4571-93E1-1DDA0232F3F0.jpeg
    817.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 0AA9D546-5299-414A-9866-A1C228CD23D2.png
    0AA9D546-5299-414A-9866-A1C228CD23D2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 148

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Could be a nice spot. I keep my stands on the south end of plots, too. The prevailing winds are usually from the north, east, or west most of deer season. Then you have to take into consideration where the deer are bedding, and their normal travel patterns. Soil test would be your first thing to do. Gives you time to get lime down before planting time.

Triple C

Your plan sounds spot on! Get it limed as quickly. If you have any ability to distrub the soil when you lime it would prolly help in getting the lime down in the soil a bit.

DSGB

The south end will be best for most winds, for sure. It’ll also be easiest to access, since thats where the road comes in.
I’ve thought about going in with a tiller, but I’m not sure if I should disturb the soil that much. Would that be best to get the lime mixed in with the soil? Or would raking it suffice?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Tilling would be best by far. If you can find someone with a bush hog and harrow closeby they could make quick work of that spot. Good luck with the project it looks deery already ?

DSGB

It’s a good spot, for sure. I only hunted it with my son when he wanted to go and we saw deer most times. There’s a pretty good trail crossing the plot about 30 yards from the south end. The creeks are good travel corridors, but the does seem to like coming in from the pines where they can stand on the hill and look into the plot before coming out.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
All good advice!^^^^

Tilling your lime, 4-6" deep now, is the right thing to do, or deeper if you can. When you think about it, you need the right soil ph where the roots will be. After that, if you choose to go the no-till or throw and mow method, adding lime on top, just for "maintenance" would be the way to go.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I'll just add that you'll have lots of shade there and everything needs "some" sun to grow and clovers will be your best option.

DSGB

Thanks for the advice, so far. I'll get the soil tests done and then plan to start tilling in the lime. I'm sure I'll get some new weeds over the summer that will need to be sprayed before planting in the fall. Would y'all recommend planting something in it now to help keep the weeds under control?

DSGB

Took me a couple hours, but I got it all cut down. I’ve added a before and after shot. Also got some soil samples. Now the question is, should I clear all the debris off before tilling in the lime or can it be tilled in with it?

Attachments

• B0DA119B-7A16-4205-B517-F1745DF65334.jpeg
    B0DA119B-7A16-4205-B517-F1745DF65334.jpeg
    814.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 91BC3493-7BE6-4E37-816C-FC62694D0F06.jpeg
    91BC3493-7BE6-4E37-816C-FC62694D0F06.jpeg
    846.5 KB · Views: 99

DSGB

Here’s looking back to the south from the other end.

Attachments

• 643940FA-C5F5-465A-971E-E6663F9D7AFB.jpeg
    643940FA-C5F5-465A-971E-E6663F9D7AFB.jpeg
    864.7 KB · Views: 66

Jim Boyd

By those measurements, it is over .3 acres.

Good looking spot!!!

Wish you the best!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If it were me I would take out that sweetgum near the camera in the second picture. Also any overhanging limbs that will shade anything. An inexpensive telescoping pole saw can be used for that. You could also clear some shooting lane into the woods if you haven’t already.

DSGB

I was going to spray the field with roundup, but it was too windy yesterday. I plan to cut down that sweet gum when I do, so I can spray the stump immediately.

I did go buy a camera and a bag of corn and put it up yesterday evening. Haven't ran any cameras in about 8 years.

Bigbendgyrene

Best clover spots I have looked a bit similar to yours before I started them. No snob towards other plantings as each yea I have some spots with mixed winter rye, oats, iron peas, triticale, rape, etc... but I SERIOUSLY LOVE clover. Tends to die out late in summer if things get too brutal and dry... BUT, by that time it's fed deer all spring and through early summer, and local does really seem to love bringing newborn fawns into it. About the time it dies out (if / when it does) it's about fall planting time anway. As for weeds, I rarely spray and just cut over it about 6" to 8" high when I see grass and weeds getting too competitive to knock them back a bit with the clover doing just fine as long as there's a fair amount of moisture in the soil when you mow.

Here's a spot planted in clover in the fall / with clover just having recently come up.

Clover 2.jpg

Same spot (though taking from other end) in the spring.

White Clover.jpg

Got a fair amount of crimson around my place that was growing when I purchased my homesite over 5 years ago. Simply by cutting the spots shortly after the seedheads turn brown and go dry, I've still got the same exact spots popping up each year and even expanding a bit.

Does In Clover.jpg

Hard to see the crimson in this last picture, but it's buried among the tall grass... stuff draws area deer like a freaking magnet -- one time of year I get pics of the deer all together in mass.

Deer In Clover.jpg

Triple C

Best clover spots I have looked a bit similar to yours before I started them. No snob towards other plantings as each yea I have some spots with mixed winter rye, oats, iron peas, triticale, rape, etc... but I SERIOUSLY LOVE clover. Tends to die out late in summer if things get too brutal and dry... BUT, by that time it's fed deer all spring and through early summer, and local does really seem to love bringing newborn fawns into it. About the time it dies out (if / when it does) it's about fall planting time anway. As for weeds, I rarely spray and just cut over it about 6" to 8" high when I see grass and weeds getting too competitive to knock them back a bit with the clover doing just fine as long as there's a fair amount of moisture in the soil when you mow.

Here's a spot planted in clover in the fall / with clover just having recently come up.

View attachment 1001281

Same spot (though taking from other end) in the spring.

View attachment 1001284

Got a fair amount of crimson around my place that was growing when I purchased my homesite over 5 years ago. Simply by cutting the spots shortly after the seedheads turn brown and go dry, I've still got the same exact spots popping up each year and even expanding a bit.

View attachment 1001285

Hard to see the crimson in this last picture, but it's buried among the tall grass... stuff draws area deer like a freaking magnet -- one time of year I get pics of the deer all together in mass.

View attachment 1001286
Clover....The gift that just keeps on giving and giving and giving!

DSGB

Below are the results from my soil test.

Calculating for .25 acre plot size, it looks like I need about 18, 50 lb bags of lime.

Using the fertilizer calculator and only applying half of the nitrogen (25-100-80) at planting, I would need about 35 lbs of 18-24-6 and 180 lbs of 0-10-10.

I can get the lime and 18-24-6 at Tractor Supply, but coming up empty for the 0-10-10. Is this only available in liquid form?

Any recommendations?

ScreenShot070.jpg

Latest posts