Planning first food plot

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Check for 0-20-20 and cut your quantity in 1/2 or if you find 8-24-24 out there, go with that! In fact, if I found 8-24-24 near by, I'd go 100% with that. 100 pounds of 8-24-24 and call it a day, on 1/4 acre and add 100 pounds of 10-10-10

Check some local feed and seed places. If you are in Columbus, I think there is a few feed and seed places near by!

Last edited:

Canuck5

And get your lime worked into the ground, as soon as it dries up enough to work. Work it 4-6" in the ground, if you can.

DSGB

Thanks! There are a few places I will check.

I'm hoping it dries out soon, so I can rent a rear tine tiller and get it worked. A guy at work offered to let me use his ATV discs, if needed.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Pellet lime comes in 40 lb bags not 50. Since you are getting so many bags it may be better to ask them to set a pallet on your truck/trailer.
Lowe’s has a good price on lime too. I would put extra lime as low as your PH is.

Good luck !!!

Last edited:

Canuck5

And, spread your fertilizer in the fall, before your planting. Work on weed and grass control now, as well.

DSGB

Got 25 bags of pellet lime ready for pickup at Lowe's. Plan to spread and work it in tomorrow.

I'm also thinking about going ahead and planting buckwheat and then cut it down before it goes to seed. I've got enough to plant two crops. Would it be a good idea to plant again?

Canuck5

Sure! Buckwheat will mature in 60-70 days.

DSGB

Got it limed and tilled in. Will try to get the buckwheat planted this weekend.

First pic is from the south end after going over it once. Second is from the north end after a second pass.

Attachments

• 4D25DD62-CBFE-481A-A0BD-3B5FE7DA3678.jpeg
    4D25DD62-CBFE-481A-A0BD-3B5FE7DA3678.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • DDD4F560-6E2B-4801-BB46-A12354C47D01.jpeg
    DDD4F560-6E2B-4801-BB46-A12354C47D01.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Stroud Creek

Got it limed and tilled in. Will try to get the buckwheat planted this weekend.

First pic is from the south end after going over it once. Second is from the north end after a second pass.
That looks really good.

Ihunt

Sweat equity usually pays good dividends.

Great job on the lime. Don’t sweat the fertilizer if you can’t find just the right one. We are not farmers so a little less or more will not hurt anything especially since you limed it.

Ihunt

Canuck is wise but we do things a little differently. Both work so neither are right/wrong.

I agree to fertilize in the fall but I also fertilize again in the early spring. At that point, if you’d planted clover, it’s very important to find a fertilizer with 0 as the first number. That’s the nitrogen and from that point on extra nitrogen will only promote grass growth.

DSGB

Thanks! I don't plan to fertilize until I plant in the fall, hoping to minimize weeds in the summer.

I've got 50 lbs of buckwheat that I hope to broadcast about half of it this weekend.

DSGB

Another question I have (and this will apply to the clover planting, as well as buckwheat), since the seeds are small and require minimum depth, would it be best to drag with chain link fence or should I just run over it with a 4 wheeler after broadcasting the seed?

I know a cultipacker would be best, but I don't have access to one. I could always rent one of those lawn rollers, but the 4 wheeler tires may work just as well.

There is also an 80% chance of rain forcast for Sunday. I have read that a heavy rain can force the seed in enough to germinate.

Canuck5

Buckwheat seed is bigger than clover, so for it, I would work up your ground, use your chain link fence with a log on it and level the ground and break up big chunks. Then broadcast your seed and go over it again with your fence (with log) and wait for rain.

For clover, work up your ground , level it with chain link and log, spread your clover on top of the ground and call it a day. Your next rain will push the small clover seeds into the ground. You stand less of a chance of clover going to deep, that way.

Again a cultipacker is ideal, but I have spread a lot of clover without, as well.

Chain link.JPG

Canuck5

If you get 2" of rain over 24 hours, that would be wonderful! If you get 2" in 24 minutes, keep your fingers crossed.

Canuck5

Buckwheat seeding rate and you'll see it can tolerate a little deeper planting depth.

Seeding rates.JPG

DSGB

Got mine and my buddies plots planted Saturday morning. Hopefully didn't get too much rain on them last night.

I swapped memory cards on my camera and made a little video using the clips of me working on the plot.

DSGB

Checked the plot yesterday and it’s starting to come up. The middle didn’t look as good as the ends but it had some coming up. I’m hoping it’s just behind a little. Looked like some places held water. There were a few spots where all the loose seed gathered up. Probably why the covey of quail was there that I busted out when I walked in it. Getting lots more rain today.

Attachments

• 352F4185-5501-447A-AB5D-0BAB9982030C.jpeg
    352F4185-5501-447A-AB5D-0BAB9982030C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • BEA3E42D-F500-41A7-974E-A712B58C0132.jpeg
    BEA3E42D-F500-41A7-974E-A712B58C0132.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • C089A8B4-2D34-48A1-A48C-7D12524EBAE7.jpeg
    C089A8B4-2D34-48A1-A48C-7D12524EBAE7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41