Point ID

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic, can you elaborate on that a little for an uneducated country boy? I’m assuming savannah river is the material?

No, that`s the name of the point. It`s about 4,000 years old, give or take. Probably used as an atlatl spear point and-or knife blade. The material looks like Fort Payne Chert.

campboy

No, that`s the name of the point. It`s about 4,000 years old, give or take. Probably used as an atlatl spear point and-or knife blade. The material looks like Fort Payne Chert.
What tribe of native people would have made/used it?

campboy

I figured too big for a true “arrowhead”. I thought of atlatl first. (I do know what an atlatl is :))

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What tribe of native people would have made/used it?
As Nic said, that one dates to several thousand years ago, long before the historic tribes that were here when Europeans arrived. Totally different culture. Almost no agriculture, no pottery, no bows and arrows.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ok what is “adena” and “contracting stem”?
Adena is just a stemmed projectile point type from the Hopewell culture, that is found throught the midwest and Tennessee Valley. Contracting stem means that the hafting stem on the point gets narrower toward the end instead of being and even width or expanding.

campboy

As Nic said, that one dates to several thousand years ago, long before the historic tribes that were here when Europeans arrived. Totally different culture. Almost no agriculture, no pottery, no bows and arrows.
Most likely hunters and gatherers?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely hunters and gatherers?
Yes, for the most part. By the mid-late archaic, they were probably starting to settle down a little more, and had the beginnings of agriculture with stuff like goosefoot, Amaranth, and a few other crops. Corn, beans, and squash hadn't gotten to North America yet, though.

campboy

Yes. Paleo, Trans-Paleo, Early -Mid Archaic were hunter gatherers. Roughly.

Yes, for the most part. By the mid-late archaic, they were probably starting to settle down a little more, and had the beginnings of agriculture with stuff like goosefoot, Amaranth, and a few other crops. Corn, beans, and squash hadn't gotten to North America yet, though.
So the people that lived in these periods were probably mostly nomadic?