Proposed Newton County Firearms Ordinance

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
A Committee of the Commissioners was formed to develop a new Firearms Ordinance.

This is a draft of of the nearly completed document. They are seeking feedback:

AN ORDINANCE TO AMEND THE CODE OF NEWTON COUNTY, GEORGIA REGARDING THE DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS; TO REPEAL CONFLICTING PROVISIONS; TO PROVIDE FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE; AND FOR FURTHER PURPOSES.

WHEREAS, in 2011 and 2012, the Newton County Sheriff’s Department received 1,330 calls regarding the discharge of a firearm;

WHEREAS, the majority of said calls involved properties in, or adjacent to, residentially zoned properties;

WHEREAS, a large number of said calls occurred between sunset and sunrise; and

WHEREAS, the Newton County Board of Commissioners would like to make changes to the ordinance regulating the discharge of firearms to address the safety concerns herein presented.

NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Board of Commissioners, Newton County, Georgia, pursuant to O.C.G.A. 16-11-173 (e) and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1

Section 31-102 of Chapter 31 of Division II of the Code of Newton County Georgia, 2001, entitled Discharging Firearms, Air Guns, Etc. is hereby deleted in its entirety and the following Ordinance is adopted in lieu thereof as follows:

Section 31-102 Discharging Firearms

I. Definitions.

A. Firearm: Any handgun, rifle, shotgun, or other weapon that is designed to, or may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or electrical charge. For the purposes of this Ordinance, the term firearm shall not be interpreted to include BB guns, air guns, pellet rifles or similar guns that fire projectiles by means of compressed air or other gas.

II. Applicability. The restrictions set forth in Section III shall not apply to or affect any of the following:

A. All federal, military, state, county, and municipal law enforcement peace officers possessing the duty and power of arrest whether such officers are within or outside their jurisdictions or on or off duty, or any person summoned by such officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while actually engaged in assisting such officer, or any other person otherwise authorized by Georgia statute; or

B. Any person lawfully exercising the destruction of dangerous animals, or for lawful nuisance wildlife abatement by persons properly permitted by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, or in the lawful exercise of trapping by properly licensed trappers; or

C. In connection with the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical purposes or for signal purposes in athletic or sporting events, military exercises, funerals, reviews, or memorial events; or

D. Any citizen when lawfully defending person or property; or

E. Any citizen or legal entity engaged in the lawful use or legal nonconforming use under any zoning ordinance at any private or commercial sport shooting range. For the purposes of this section a “sport shooting range� means an area designed and operated for the use and discharge of guns, air guns, BB guns, pistols, or other firearms which project lead or any other missile; or

F. Hunting (including night hunting), on one’s own property or on the property of another with written permission, regulated by and conducted in accordance with State law and Department of Natural Resources regulations.

III. Except for activities that are exempt under Section II, it shall be unlawful for any person in unincorporated Newton County to discharge or shoot any firearm as follows:

A. Into a dwelling, house, railroad train, boat, aircraft, motor vehicle, or any building or structure used for assembling of people; or

B. At any mark, inanimate object, or at random on, along or across a public highway; or

C. At or from any motor vehicle, at any person, at any other motor vehicle, or at any building or habitable structure; or

D. Upon the land of another or across the property line of another without first obtaining written permission of such property owner(s); or

E. On property less than two (2) acres in size; or

F. Within one hundred (100) yards of any residence (not to include the residence of the individual discharging the firearm), place of public assembly, place of worship, business, or roadway; or

G. From one-half hour after sunset until one-half hour before sunrise.

IV. It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm while:

A. Under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug to the extent that it is unsafe for the person to discharge such firearm except in defense of life, health, and property;

B. The person’s alcohol concentration is 0.08 grams or more at any time while discharging such firearm or within three (3) hours after such discharge of such firearm from alcohol consumed before such discharge ended; or

C. Subject to the provisions of subsection (3) of this Code section, there is any amount of marijuana or a controlled substance as defined in O.C.G.A. §16-13-21, present in the person’s blood or urine, or both, including the metabolites and derivatives of each or both without regard to whether or not any alcohol is present in the person’s breath or blood.

D. The fact that any person charged with violating this subsection is or has been legally entitled to use a drug shall not constitute a defense against any charge of violating this section; provided, however, that such person shall not be in violation of this subsection unless such person is rendered incapable of possessing or discharging a firearm safely as a result of using a drug other than alcohol which such person is legally entitled to use.

V. Any person found guilty of violating this Ordinance shall be subject to the following penalties:

A. Upon a first violation and conviction, the court shall impose a fine of not less than one-hundred dollars ($100.00) and not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) and/or thirty (30) to one hundred twenty (120) days imprisonment, depending on the seriousness of the violation.

B. Upon a second and all subsequent violations and convictions, the court shall impose a fine of One Thousand dollars ($1,000.00) and/or ninety (90) to one hundred twenty (120) days imprisonment.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I do not like the 100 yard restriction when 50 is good enough for the State and for me there is a problem with Paragraph IV.

Sub-paragraph A. states generally that it is unlawful to discharge a firearm when under the influence of alcohol or drugs but provides an exception for the defense of life, health, or property. Sub-paragraphs B., C., and D.do not continue this exception and since all four of these sub-paragraphs rank equally in the construction of the paragraph unnecessary confusion is created.

This could be alleviated by making sub-paragraph A. a part of Paragraph IV and renumbering the next three sub-paragraphs. It would then read:

IV. It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug to the extent that it is unsafe for the person to discharge such firearm except in defense of life, health, and property.

A. A person shall be deemed to be under the influence of alcohol to the extent that it is unsafe to discharge a firearm if the person’s alcohol concentration is 0.08 grams or more at any time while discharging such firearm or within three (3) hours after such discharge of such firearm from alcohol consumed before such discharge ended; or
B. (no change)
C. (no change)

Quickbeam

I believe the changes are: exclusion of gas or spring operated firearms and two acre minimum. What else?

Well there's one thing for sure, there won't be any more drive by shootings when this goes into affect.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I was asked to post this here to get feedback.

The Commissioner that asked me to post it, I think, tends to agree with most here, that the problem was not with the existing ordinance but with the enforcement of that ordinance.

I sent him this message after a couple of rounds of feedback:

If you get right down to it, the whole thing seems like a matter of a politician or group of politicians taking the wrong action to correct a problem. The problem is specific and requires specific attention directed at the exact location of the alleged gunfire. From the reports I've been reading the gunfire has been coming from an easily identifiable cultural set. Go in and fix the problem and quit tap dancing.

He acknowledged agreement.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
WHEREAS, in 2011 and 2012, the Newton County Sheriff’s Department received 1,330 calls regarding the discharge of a firearm;

if my 20 years in this business is of any value, I'd bet that the majority of those were a "somebody's shooting" complaint. People call when they hear shots even if/when theyre WAY off and doing nothing wrong or unsafe/don't know who they are/where they are, etc.

ive been to "somebody's shooting" complaints and the culprit was a mile away sighting in a deer rifle. but they were right---somebody was shooting! :hair:

just because they have that many calls about firearms discharge doesn't mean anything.

that's not to say there aren't idiots out there that shoot 300 magnums at a target in a vacant lot in a subdivision, but they are not the majority of the calls involving gunshots in my experience.

the big question is "how many of those calls resulted in an arrest or someone doing something that was blatantly unsafe/someone was shot/property was damaged"?

Probably relatively few.

example: there is a duck swamp in clayton county that every time it is shot people call because "somebody's shooting". There is NO WAY these guys could hurt anyone shooting this duck swamp but several calls are made every time they shoot it and by gum them folks mean someone needs to "do something"

T

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Typical of politicians to spend countless tax dollars studying how to spend a million dollars on a titanium bolt where a 57 cent grade 8 bolt would suffice.

It seems to be common in todays day and age that as soon as a person is elected to public office they take a secret oath to forget using any common sense, or perhaps they never had any to begin with.

rjcruiser

I was asked to post this here to get feedback.

The Commissioner that asked me to post it, I think, tends to agree with most here, that the problem was not with the existing ordinance but with the enforcement of that ordinance.

I sent him this message after a couple of rounds of feedback:

If you get right down to it, the whole thing seems like a matter of a politician or group of politicians taking the wrong action to correct a problem. The problem is specific and requires specific attention directed at the exact location of the alleged gunfire. From the reports I've been reading the gunfire has been coming from an easily identifiable cultural set. Go in and fix the problem and quit tap dancing.

He acknowledged agreement.

You're right. I went to the public forum meeting and from the maps, it is obvious that the problems are in West Newton County. 50 yards or 100 yards...nothing is going to change the problem. One of the last shooting incidents was at a home in the Silos subdivision. Big house party...bunch of people...even hired a security guard. Guess what...shooting happened and it was a 21 year old black male. Apparently 30 shots fired.

Same subdivision...less than a month before...drive by shooting injured a man. Guess what...3 black males in a car.

These shootings all happened well within 50 yards of a house....both at night...well outside of any legality.

Maybe it is a cultural thing...maybe it is a racial thing....either way, this ordinance is still an infringement upon our second amendment rights. Is it better than the original that our sheriff tried to pass? Yes. Is it a fix to the problem? No.

I'm sending another round of e-mails to the two commissioners on the committee. Just like the below.

To the Commissioners of Newton County,
As a resident of Newton County, I heartily oppose any additional restrictions to the current firearms ordinance that the county has in place. Adding additional regulations will do nothing to stop criminals from needlessly discharging firearms at random and will only penalize law abiding citizens. The key to stopping illegal activities is both community involvement as well as proper enforcement of current laws and regulations, not increased regulations. If anything should be done, the county ordinance should be done away with and the county should follow the laws and guidelines that the State of Georgia has put in place. I urge you to oppose any additional restrictions.
Sincerely,

Huntinfool

I was essentially forced to listen to Sherriff Brown when he spoke at our neighborhood association meeting. He ONLY talked about this ordinance for about 20 minutes.

If you're looking from feedback from a Newton Co resident. It's a stupid idea being pushed by people who have absoluetly NO idea what the extended restriction actually means or will do.

If you have a 100 yd restriction and people are shooting each other in a particular part of the county, then patrol that part of the county better. Added extra space to the restriction will only prevent people who actually obey the law form enjoying firearms on their own property. It will do nothing to reduce the number of calls Ezel is getting on a daily basis about firearms discharge and it will do nothing to reduce crime.

Stupid people do stupid things. Passing a new ordinance that most people won't even be AWARE of is not going to stop them.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I wrote the commissioners like it will do any good.

Rich M

III. Except for activities that are exempt under Section II, it shall be unlawful for any person in unincorporated Newton County to discharge or shoot any firearm as follows:

A. Into a dwelling, house, railroad train, boat, aircraft, motor vehicle, or any building or structure used for assembling of people; or HELLO!

B. At any mark, inanimate object, or at random on, along or across a public highway; or NO Shooting in ROW

C. At or from any motor vehicle, at any person, at any other motor vehicle, or at any building or habitable structure; or NO shoot from car or at cars...okay

D. Upon the land of another or across the property line of another without first obtaining written permission of such property owner(s); or NO trespassing with bullets

E. On property less than two (2) acres in size; or That's a small lot.

F. Within one hundred (100) yards of any residence (not to include the residence of the individual discharging the firearm), place of public assembly, place of worship, business, or roadway; or Found a big restriction, finally!

G. From one-half hour after sunset until one-half hour before sunrise. No shooting in the dark - again, who wants some yahoo shooting in the dark around your house?

I'm still trying to figure out what everyone is doing shooting at night for.

Anyway, the only real limitation is the 100 yards from a road. Everything else is likely already an existing law. Surprised they didn't say no shooting within city limits....

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I'm still trying to figure out what everyone is doing shooting at night for.

'yote hunting. armadillos. to name two

PappyHoel

Sounds like your county has been invaded by northerners that don't like things that go boom and they need the government to disarm you. That's what all that poppycock legal mumbo jumbo says!

rjcruiser

Sounds like your county has been invaded by northerners that don't like things that go boom and they need the government to disarm you. That's what all that poppycock legal mumbo jumbo says!

Well...half of the county has been invaded by folks from Atlanta and the North.

Funny thing...the only guy who stood up in support of the original proposal was a guy who was wearing a NYC Waste Disposal jacket:rofl::rofl::rofl: Hmm...can you guess Union liberal from the North?

BTW....had lunch with one of the commissioners today and it looks like this amended proposal is going to be going through. Need to e-mail the two commissioners on this committee and tell them it is useless to add more laws to the existing laws when the sheriff can't enforce the existing ones.