Purchasing Land

Wifeshusband

I'm a retired lawyer, not a real estate lawyer, but you're going to need a title exam (if you're financing, and one if you're not, if you're smart). If there is a cloud on the title, you're going to have to pay an attorney to clear it. I did this once for someone trying to sell property . . . cloud went all the way back to 1909. We cleared it though. I would not buy any property without a survey, regardless of who has to pay for it. Been involved in several property line disputes. The more recent the survey, the better. $2,500 for a survey beats paying an attorney $5,000 to go to court to fight your new neighbor, whose grandfather farmed a few acres of yours and therefore they "own it."

Wifeshusband

I'm of the same opinion as Timberman. Your closing attorney should be able to tell you if there is a legitimate risk or concern with the survey on file. Pick your real estate attorney wisely and let him or her advise as to whether you need to be concerned with a new survey.
The closing attorney represents the lender, not the buyer or seller.

Hawken2222

Guys I wanted to give everyone an update and let everyone know I closed today on this ground. I have always wanted my own property and now it's a dream realized. I would like to again thank everyone for all of the good advice during this process. I especially would like to thank Tommy Stroud Jr for his guidance during this process. He is an awesome Land Agent and I highly recommend him.

Triple C

Guys I wanted to give everyone an update and let everyone know I closed today on this ground. I have always wanted my own property and now it's a dream realized. I would like to again thank everyone for all of the good advice during this process. I especially would like to thank Tommy Stroud Jr for his guidance during this process. He is an awesome Land Agent and I highly recommend him.
Congrats Hawken! Enjoy the journey and keep us updated with your progress.

DeoVindice

Congrats! I got my little place 6 years ago, next month. It never gets old. I really enjoy seeing the land going to those who appreciate it most: the hunters. Good for you.