question for the older Atlanta folks

dixie

Phil Esposito maybe? I think he had a place out on Peachtree.

Yep, that was it, I couldn't remember his last name, Sandra, is there a chance you remember the torch and candle restaurant that was just outside 285 on Roswell rd? I STILL miss that place

Stan in SC

When I lived in Atlanta one summer during college days we used to go to The Peachtree Club downtown near Rich's.Also downtown was The Playboy Club.

Stan

gadeerwoman

Never made it to the torch and candle. Went to a couple dances at the Knights of Columbus lodge on Buford Hwy. How many ate at Twelve Oaks, intersection of Piedmont/Cheshire Bridge and the Catfish King on Cheshire Bridge? Sure glad I found some folks old as I am on here:bounce: Our memories aren't too bad...it just takes 4 of us to remember the name of a place.:biggrin2:

TurkeyCreek

I used to go to Alex Cooley's a good bit in late 70's.

Ya'll remember the Great Southeast Music Hall at Lindberg???? That was early 70"s.

thegaduck

Way back before

you could buy mixed drinks in Atlanta, people used to go to Robinson's Tropical Gardens in Cobb Co. It was BYOB and expensive for the time. Lots of High Schools and Ga. Tech went there after proms and such. Now called Canoe. Great place to eat. They have photos on the wall of how the place looked in the '50s and 60s.

slightly grayling

Rosie's Cantina

was a big one....George Thoroughgood practically lived there in his early days....

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Never made it to the torch and candle. Went to a couple dances at the Knights of Columbus lodge on Buford Hwy. How many ate at Twelve Oaks, intersection of Piedmont/Cheshire Bridge and the Catfish King on Cheshire Bridge? Sure glad I found some folks old as I am on here:bounce: Our memories aren't too bad...it just takes 4 of us to remember the name of a place.:biggrin2:

And we still ain't figured out the name of the place in your original post!

Hearing folks talk about all those old places brings back memories. My "Half-Heimers" isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was!

dixie

I remember the 12 oaks but I can't place the catfish king, where was it at on CB? I remember the Knights hall and the dances, remember when Alpine inn opened just below the hall? There was a skating rink up on buford hiway in chamblee plaza I THINK, not sure of the name of the strip mall, that had dances on the weekend and tony "the tiger" from wqxi would DJ them.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I remember the 12 oaks but I can't place the catfish king, where was it at on CB? I remember the Knights hall and the dances, remember when Alpine inn opened just below the hall? There was a skating rink up on buford hiway in chamblee plaza I THINK, not sure of the name of the strip mall, that had dances on the weekend and tony "the tiger" from wqxi would DJ them.

The skating rink was by itself, next to the driving range on Buford Hwy.

Are you talking about that place on Cheshire Bridge for the "Kwixie" dances?

gadeerwoman

Elfiii, it was the Bistro that I was looking for in the original post.:bounce:
Catfish Inn (think it was Inn instead of King) was just below Shakeys on Cheshire Bridge, same side. Best fried chicken around. And remember that little 'drive thru grocery' on Cheshire near LaVista.."The Bread Basket"? It was on the corner a block or so before the take out bbq place (can't remember the name of that one either:banginghe). Yep, I remember the skating rink but never went there. Used to play putt putt golf at the place on Cheshire Bridge too.

Sutallee

I used to go to Alex Cooley's a good bit in late 70's.

Ya'll remember the Great Southeast Music Hall at Lindberg???? That was early 70"s.

One night in 1972, my girlfriend and I headed down to Atlanta and decided to go to the Music Hall. We didn't know who was playing that night, but when we got there it was Linda Rondstat with a band that became The Eagles. There were not 50 people there that night.

Al33

I used to go to the Bistro quite a bit back in the very early '70's. You are correct Sandra, very dimly lit and tiny. If you got a table up front you could see the nose hairs of the players.:bounce:

Drank quite a few beers there and even ate the pizza they served. Wow, I had two blue eyes and a flat belly in those days.:bounce: Who knows Sandra, I may have tried to put a move on you back then.:rofl:

thegaduck

Man I hate to see this thread die. Many memories associated with it. I grew up in Atlanta and visited all of these places. Misty Waters wasn't mentioned I think and driving through the "Lauching Pad" at the Varsity. Joe Cotton"s was another one. I still think of The Plantation Club and Fun Town.

Sargent

Even though I am a lot younger than you guys:bounce::bounce::bounce:, I have always had an interest in old Atlanta.

A couple of years ago, I found a book that highlighted Atlanta entertainment by decade. It had a lot of good information in it. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw it.

So, a source exists for you fogies to re-live your glory days!

As for me, I still long for the glory days of the early 90s when we would hang out at Good Ol' Days in Buckhead!

Jim Baker

Staff member
A VW bug. Karman Ghia, '66 Corvette Sting Ray and what looks like the front end of VW Station Wagon. What looks like an MG in front of the Bug. And no one parked in front of the hydrant.

Looks like Bottom of Barrel in the sign.

Neat Picture and an old thread.

SlipperyHill Mo

Bottom of the Barrell must have changed to One Eyed Jacks in early 70’s. I drank a lot of beer there during my college years. $.25 draft on Thursday night!