question for the older Atlanta folks

Artfuldodger

I remember going to Underground Atlanta in 1974. I didn't go back to Atlanta until 1982 maybe. We went to Jilly's for ribs and then went to the Limelight Disco. Then we went to a County and Western club with a huge dance floor. Seems like it had seating from up top and you could see the huge dance floor from up there. I guess disco and the cowboy craze were both still pretty big at that time.
Then the next day we went to the Varsity and back to Augusta.

gadeerwoman

I remember seeing Emmy Lou Harris at Jim Salees (or however it was spelled)in Buckhead. Like having her singing in your living room. Rode the old roller coaster at the fairgrounds one time (ONLY time I have ever been on one of them things) when it was the old wooden structure. Remember the old Fan Appreciation Week concerts that WPLO used to put on every summer? Different parking lot every night...big name country stars. Man, we hit those things every night each summer with a lawn chair. Free and some of the country when it was country. Lordy, times have changed!

treemanjohn

Banned
Man some of you folks is old.

What a great history lesson. I grew up in the city. I saw Ted Nugent opening with Van Halen at the great southern music Hall. Right above the bowling alley at Broadview Plaza.

Anybody reminder the flea market where the Lindbergh Marta station is? Got my first dog there

FootLongDawg

And we still ain't figured out the name of the place in your original post!

Hearing folks talk about all those old places brings back memories. My "Half-Heimers" isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was![/QUOTE

'' Half-Heimers":rofl::rofl:. What a perfect description of what ails me today.

FootLongDawg

Slighter later vintage would be places I hung out like Charlie Magruders, Baby Does, Flanagan’s, etc..

Ahhhh. Now you done gone and hit my half-heimers. What was the name of the place down the hill from Flannigans? Building by itself. Drank that place dry

forsyth793

How about the Yellow Jacket? After cruising the Varsity we generally went there to eat....

Last edited:

westcobbdog

Ahhhh. Now you done gone and hit my half-heimers. What was the name of the place down the hill from Flannigans? Building by itself. Drank that place dry
Went there, too. Forget name but now it’s a shoe show I think.

Anybody ever hit the Beef Cellar on Copeland Rd after a night on the town?
Drunk steak dinner for like $8.

FootLongDawg

Went there, too. Forget name but now it’s a shoe show I think.

Anybody ever hit the Beef Cellar on Copeland Rd after a night on the town?
Drunk steak dinner for like $8.

Just remembered. It was Smugglers Inn. Man, I miss a lot about those days. My hair, my muscles, my 34 inch waist. Sadly, I also remember partaking in too much liquid encouragement, and letting some extremely unattractive women take advantage of me.:rofl:

gadeerwoman

The Yellow Jacket...best grilled cheese sandwich in town. Now if you wanna talk that neighborhood who all knows Junior's grill? :)
Saw a many a movie at the Martins Cinerama theater that was on Ptree near North Ave. We used to play basketball and pool at North Ave Presby Church on Tuesday nights when they opened up for all the college students in the neighborhood. Those were good folks. Gave us somewhere to get together for free and just have some fun.
Remember the putt putt place on Cheshire Bridge? Bowling alley on Stewart Ave? Spent some time at all those in me younga days.

Last edited:

DannyW

Spent a lot of my Friday/Saturday nights in the mid-late 70's at a disco below Chamblee in NorthEast Plaza called Pogo's. In fact, met my wife there...we have been married 37 years.

Good times...

westcobbdog

How about the old ice rink nearly next door to Johnnys hideaway and also the rink at Lower Roswell and Johnson Ferry in E Cobb.

treemanjohn

Banned
How about the old ice rink nearly next door to Johnnys hideaway.

I think it was called jellybeans. I use to go play free video games at Sears on the corner of West paces and Peachtree. Can't remember the name of the grocery store across the street. The manager use to give us free fruit

Ok trick question. Anyone ever go to the Crystal Palace on Stewart Ave?

Halfhitch

No mention yet of Ruby Red's Warehouse (banjo pickers, peanut shells on the floor and beer in mugs) - lively, fun place. How about comparing rides at Zesto's at the intersection of Roswell Rd and Peachtree in Buckhead (64/65)? Earlier still, anyone remember the "trollies" - the electric busses with the wires overhead? I remember those and lots of the other places mentioned - thanks for the trip down memory lane..

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Wow!

I didn't even grow up here, but I did live in Dunwoody for a short stint and then south of town back in the late 70's for a couple of years.

I can't believe I can actually remember the names of many of these places you all are mentioning.

Good Stuff, from an interesting time in my past. :cheers:

DannyW

Did that place change into Packets?

It was in the corner of NE Plaza. On Buford Highway.

Perhaps...that's where Pogo's was located. Like I said, I met my future wife there in 1977 and shortly thereafter found that I had no reason to keep going to a night club. The last time I was there was probably 1978 0r 1979, and I don't know what became of it after that.

It was a wild place on the weekends...maybe 800-1,000 drunk 18-20 kids crammed into the place. I saw some things that were quite eye openers for my young self.

On the shelf behind me I have a Pogo's logo'ed high ball glass I snuck out of there one night.