Quick m70 question

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Hello wise ones!!!
So what's the pro's and cons of the m70 CRF and the other way the bolt loads and unloads?
What is the significance of the pre 64 m70 vs today's modern m70?

Thanks y'all for the input!!! I always appreciate all the answers y'all have helped me with in the past!!!

rugerfan

Not sure I can accurately answer your question, but since I have a couple I will try, but what I don't have is an actual Pre-64 model. I have 2 Controlled round feed models that were manufactured in 1990's , a couple of push feed models from the 80's and early 2000's, and one of the BACO built CRF model 70's built in Portugal.

As far the comparison to the push feed models vs. the New Haven Built CRF models, nothing significant other than the you cannot push a round into the chamber when the magazine has rounds in it, the rounds must feed from the magazine when you have multiple rounds. On the push feeds you can push the rounds in the magazine down, feed a round into the chamber, and close the bolt. Of course that is part of "Controlled round feed".

The only difference on the Baco Model to me, is the feel of the trigger. Not saying it is bad thing, the feel is just different. Stocks all feel the same, safety is where it should be, just the trigger just doesn't feel the same, and yes the triggers are different.

I could be just full of hot air, and if my post doesn't answer your question, I apologize for wasting your time.

HughW2

The primary benefit of CRF is as the name implies constant control in cycling the round in and out of chamber. More reliable extraction and ejection particularly with heavy loads or extremes of weather. Greater theoretical reliability.

if you hunt in Africa for the big five or hunt big bears CRF is definitely advisable but not required. Hunting whitetails in GA CRF offers no significant benefit.

OleCountryBoy

I've got 2 post 64 M70s, one made in 67 and one in 90, both in .270, love them both! Some people like the controlled feed, I like the push feed, to me it's easier to load because I can keep rounds in the mag and just hold them down and take one round in and out of the chamber before and after the hunt, if that makes sense...I have had pre64s, do not currently own one. Pre64s were more custom made, hand built they say. My year 1990 M70 is an XTR Sporter and its fit and finish is nicer than any pre64 i've seen. I've never had a a single issue with push feed in any m70 or rem 700.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Turn your push feed M70 90 degrees with the bolt facing down and try to feed a round.
You will see the difference.
As stated, it only matters in extreme circumstances.

Nimrod71

From what I know the pre-64 M70 rifles were made with older manufacturing technics which made them more expensive than there computation. One thing that makes a pre-64 stand out is the rear sight base, it is machined into the barrel. This cost more than just drilling a hole or dove tailing. As I have read and been told production cost is why Winchester changed.

chuckdog

In reality the basic CRF action of today's Model is the same as the pre-64 CRF.

The triggers are significantly different, as the original was a very simple open design. The current production triggers are enclosed, Browning/FN/lawyer design.

Today's Model 70 has improved metallurgy, tighter tolerances, and better bedding.

The reason the older one's became so collectible was because the first few years production of the push feed models went way too far in cost cutting.

The later push feed models were/are very good rifles.

People don't like change to start with, they sure didn't like the early push feed models.

USRA built some high quality Model 70's, but high labor cost and poor management did them in. Toward the end USRA was selling less than stellar models.

Low cost utility grade rifles have cut into the sales of all the classic models from the large name manufacturers. Most $300 rifles of today will out shoot rifles that cost two to three times as much 25 years ago.

Back to the Model 70. If I were buying one to use, I'd want the new/current design. They're more likely to shoot better than the original.

If I was a collector, and I ain't, I'd much prefer a rifle from the early to mid 50's.

deermaster13

Lots of good answers already. I have 4 push feeds M70s and all shoot great. Yes I'm wanting a pre 64 just because I'm a huge model.70 fan. I see the advantage with the crf but unless as stated about dangerous game the push feeds are acurate. I think my draw to have a pre 64 is the old way of hand building them.

sea trout

Thanks y'all!!!
I watched the video it was very informative and that guy had a very nice rifle!

My son is kinda itchin for his very own huntin rifle now, He's been usin my marlin 30-30 and this past fall and winter my remington 700 in 30-06.
So I may have a chance to get him a rifle that he likes also. It's a m70 featherweight in 30-06. It's not pre 64 but it has control round feed.
Is this something made from the factory or something put together by somebody aftermarket?
IDK It's a great lookin rifle. We're interested. Just trying to learn more about it. I've used 2 different modern made m70's and I've loved em both. The jeweled bolts are awesome. Rifles are comfortable.
Anyway thanks a lot for all y'alls insight!!! I really appreciate bein able to learn things from y'all!!

NWS

I will take the old New Haven original Trigger system any day compared to the highly advertised MOA trigger system. MOA triggers are good I guess but it just ain’t the same. I suppose the lawyers and Ivy League MBA’s needed to have their say.

NWS

In my opinion some of the finest post 64 Model 70’s were the early 1980’s XTR push feed Featherweights. I don’t think any prettier or better feeling rifle exists. Also in the same class is the early 5 Digit CRF Classic Stainless Walnut Featherweights. These may be my all time favorite. These were New Haven guns with the old triggers.

Boondocks

I have a late 1970's xtr in 270 win..First rifle i bought at 17.It will be with me till I pass it on.A great shooter and always on the mark.Nothing better in a blue and wood gun to me.And I also have a few Remington 700 too.It is just old school New Haven gunworks that can't be beat.

Last edited:

OleCountryBoy

Thanks y'all!!!
I watched the video it was very informative and that guy had a very nice rifle!

My son is kinda itchin for his very own huntin rifle now, He's been usin my marlin 30-30 and this past fall and winter my remington 700 in 30-06.
So I may have a chance to get him a rifle that he likes also. It's a m70 featherweight in 30-06. It's not pre 64 but it has control round feed.
Is this something made from the factory or something put together by somebody aftermarket?
IDK It's a great lookin rifle. We're interested. Just trying to learn more about it. I've used 2 different modern made m70's and I've loved em both. The jeweled bolts are awesome. Rifles are comfortable.
Anyway thanks a lot for all y'alls insight!!! I really appreciate bein able to learn things from y'all!!
If it’s post 64, it’s a push feed.

nmurph

...So I may have a chance to get him a rifle that he likes also. It's a m70 featherweight in 30-06...

A lightweight 30-06 sounds like a recipe for introducing flinch. How old is your son?
The benefits of CRF are nonexistent in non dangerous game situations.

sea trout

He's 12. Been shootin since he was 6. He really enjoys shooting and is really good at it. He's shot my plastic Remington 700 in 30-06 a lot this fall target practice. Then he killed a hog with it a week n half ago. We have it and the 30-30 so both of us can hunt just fine. We don't have to get one right now. I just always keep my eyes and ears open for a nice rifle for him and this one came available that we may could make the deal. We're contemplating it so much it may not even be available anymore.
But no I don't want to introduce a flinch that's for sure. I'm an eye closer myself and it's hard on me. I know flinchers who just can't get a pattern. I don't want to start that with this boy.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
He's 12. Been shootin since he was 6. He really enjoys shooting and is really good at it. He's shot my plastic Remington 700 in 30-06 a lot this fall target practice. Then he killed a hog with it a week n half ago. We have it and the 30-30 so both of us can hunt just fine. We don't have to get one right now. I just always keep my eyes and ears open for a nice rifle for him and this one came available that we may could make the deal. We're contemplating it so much it may not even be available anymore.
But no I don't want to introduce a flinch that's for sure. I'm an eye closer myself and it's hard on me. I know flinchers who just can't get a pattern. I don't want to start that with this boy.
It is easy to load 30/06 loads to 30/30 levels yourself or buy reduced recoil factory ammo. My son used an 06 since age 11. 130gr Soft Points at 2400fps for 3 years shooting groundhogs and deer. All died just as convincingly as they do with 150gr 2900fps loads.