Rabies Issue

SarahFair

I had a kitten start acting weird about a week ago.

I left the house around 7:30-8am to it playing with its litter mate, came home around 12-1pm to it lethargic on the porch.

It took me about a day to get it to eat or drink anything.
The second day it was walking in circles with its head pulled tightly to the side. Since then its mostly slept, but sometimes would sit up and have times where it seemed to perk up, but generally didnt move unless I was bringing it in and out to feed and water it.

Yesterday afternoon I had taken it inside to make sure it ate and to give it some water through a straw. While I was taking fresh water outside to the other 2 I tucked the kitten in the crook of my arm as I opened the door and guess I somehow pinched it in my arm. It let out a meow and bit me around the wrist.
No blood was drawn but the area turned red and raised up. Immediately I put rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide on it, washed it with soap and water and put more peroxide on it. :huh:

Later that day it started having violent seizures that lasted about 5 minutes, which included foaming at the mouth, coughing, sneezing, etc

Someone mentioned to me there might be a possibility of rabies, so guess whats on my mind..

I woke up this morning and called Animal Control.
They arent going to do anything about getting the animal tested because the bite didnt break the skin and usually has to go pretty deep to even contract rabies, plus the possibility of a kitten that young (8-10 weeks) having rabies is not likely.

So I called the health department, they dont deal with animals and got a fax sometime ago that states it has to go to animal control.

So then I called the vet and took the cat up there for them to look at.
They cant send it off to get tested, they have to go through animal control. The woman said they have a hard time getting Animal Control to get involved in a lot of cases.
She said she was scratched by a feral cat that showed no signs of rabies and had to fight to get it sent off, came back positive and she had to get vaccinated for it.

I had the kitten put down because it was in such a poor state. They are going to keep it frozen at the vets office for a few days until the crematory comes and picks the animals up.

So after that I go to the Urgent Care clinic to make sure it didnt break skin. Turns out I have an old scar in the area the cat bit me but the Dr said she can see a superficial wound that is on the top layer of skin.
They administered a tetanus shot.
She said shed call animal control again in the morning and put the ball back in their court on what needs to be done.
With the attitude he had about it this morning I know they are not going to want to deal with it.

I just dont know how worried I should be.
The kitten hadnt been bitten or scratched by anything but the mamma cat drags home all kinds of birds, mice, chipmunks, rabbits, etc and they all eat them.
The mom and other kitten are acting fine.

I just dont know if Im over reacting or if I should continue to pursue getting the kitten tested and if so and AC doesnt want to do anything who to call next..

T-N-T

Holy smokes. I sure hope all turns out just fine for you.

We had a neighbor give our cats some antifreeze once. They got stupid lathargic and wobbly. Stopped eating and coming around.

I never noticed any foaming or anything, but the ones that were affected were grown and hid to die.

I'm not saying the kitten did or didn't have rabies, just that it might have been poisoned from something. Even a kill the mother cat made to an animal that ate rat poison or something???

Again, wishing you no harm and a speedy recovery!

SarahFair

Its possible it was poisoned and I mentioned it to the vet. I had put out ant killer on mounds and sprayed, but I dont think I sprayed in the kittens area.

Its just everyone is beating around the bush it seems because no one wants to say no and be liable, except animal control.

T-N-T

I guess the only thing you can do us volunteer to pay for testing on the kitten. If you are feeling strong enough about it.
I, personally, would let the alcohol and peroxide be the end of it.

But. I am speaking for my health. You saw what you saw, not me. Up to you miss Sara.

GA DAWG

Id demand they test the head now! That's what Id do. I mean its really a life or death situation. I guess you could just go take the shots. Not bad like they use to be.

SarahFair

The lady at the vet said they are pretty bad and even the Dr said when she worked up at athens its a nasty process.

I cant not even volunteer to have it tested, the vet, animal control, and the health dept said that animal control has to clear it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Id demand they test the head now! That's what Id do. I mean its really a life or death situation. I guess you could just go take the shots. Not bad like they use to be.

This is exactly what I would do, Sarah, and I would do it now. Rabies is nothing to fool with or take chances with. By the time you show symptoms, it is too late and you die. No ifs, ands, or buts.

This is one of those times to be safe rather than sorry.

NOYDB

BANNED
Nic is right. So far only one person has ever survived the disease, ever (that they know of). About twenty years ago a girl made it. It is so rare the authorities were completely agog.

Get the AC officer's boss, make a fuss. This is not a time or situation to be nice.

Ihunt

Rabies can be spread by saliva. It doesn't have to bite you. Your doctor can get you the rabies shot. I would. Good news is you'll be covered for a few years even if wasn't needed. Do it for your kids.

Last edited:

SarahFair

I contacted poison control who completely freaked out on me.
I had to hang up and cry because I felt like I was on the brink of death that guy had me so paranoid.

He gave me the number to a lab in Decatur that does the testing, they called the county to see why they aren't dealing with it, county told them I told them I didn't get bit :eek:
I told them I actually did tell them I was bit.
The lab called the county back and the county said they'd pick it up on Tuesday (mind you, you only have about 10 days to get vaccinated).

The vet froze the cat, which you aren't supposed to do, you're supposed to refrigerate it..
Now they might not even test it..

The guy at poison control is calling the ER to tell them I'm coming in. He said if the results come back negative I can stop the vaccines, if they come back positive or inconclusive I have to continue.

From what I've read they cost about $4,000-$7,000, this is having to come out of my pocket and all could have been avoided if animal control would have just picked it up yesterday.

I don't know if I should cry or be angry

T-N-T

Wow.
My wife and I will pray for you.
I hate the laziness of people when it cmes to their jobs.
Hoping for a negative test result.

SarahFair

I think it was Eliminator Fire Ant killer granules and something similar to the ortho spray in the white and red jug.

Reading on the internet Im all paranoid that maybe it was bit by a bat, a bite I would have never seen.

welderguy

Im praying for you Sarah.
If we need to,we will start a gofundme to help with the expenses of the shots.
Let us know.

Don't cry.You can beat this with His help.

SarahFair

The cost is a slight annoyance, but its something we can manage. Thank you for offering the help though!

Im still back and forth about the shots. If I go it'll be tomorrow due to the way they arrange the shots and most people experiencing flu like symptoms. With my job it pans out better this way.
Plus it'll give the lab time to get results back to see if I even need the second round

Big7

The Oracle
You know me..

I'm in the same camp with Nic. Get yourself protected.

THEN.. FIND EVERYONE YOU CAN AND RAISE TOTAL DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS.

INSIST ON TALKING TO THE ORGAN GRINDERS, NOT THE MONKEYS.

I LOVE my animals too..
Anything I couldn't pay for I would do just what I described
above.. Like put it in the paper and call CDC.. Whatever you can think of.

Hope it works out for you and the cat!

Rich Kaminski

Someone start the gofundme for Sarah. And Sarah, there are a lot of members here on GON. Somehow we all need to sign a petition to get the people at Animal Control fired and replaced. Anyone who knows how to do this please help.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
That would scare me too Sarah. Hope and pray it comes back negative.

SarahFair

Went to the er this morning, both the RN and Dr said they see no indication that ill need the shot.
I was explaining to the Dr how the Poison Control guy was acting and he just laughed and said he hopes he never gets a job in the crisis center..
Which is kind of how I felt, like maybe it was a slow day and hes a bit of a drama queen.
I appreciate that he cared enough to call me back 3x to check on me, but scaring me like that did not help.

I feel a little better, but I still feel like I better not die.

shakey gizzard

Went to the er this morning, both the RN and Dr said they see no indication that ill need the shot.
I was explaining to the Dr how the Poison Control guy was acting and he just laughed and said he hopes he never gets a job in the crisis center..
Which is kind of how I felt, like maybe it was a slow day and hes a bit of a drama queen.
I appreciate that he cared enough to call me back 3x to check on me, but scaring me like that did not help.

I feel a little better, but I still feel like I better not die.

That's good news! How old was the kitten? Was it vaccinated? Sounds like distemper.