rape question

Kdog

The only time I planted Rape, it was in a mix. My soil sample called for a mixture that amounted to 12-14-10. I just used 13-13-13 and it did fine.

Kdog

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
Rape is a heavy feeder so any fertilizer high in nitrogen will do the job. -- I used 17-17-17 last year and worked great.

Timberman

Rape

Woody and others,

Per yall's suggestion 3 acres of rape will go in the ground next week. My question is that I've heard you only need to top seed it. Is that right or would lightly dragging it be ok? I have two box springs lashed together with weight on them that I drag my regular plots with. Should I use it? My plots have been plowed and will have been rained on. I do not intend to plow them again. I am gonna fertilize 500# triple 17 to the acre. Watcha think? Top seed or drag?

LIGHTNING

Timberman,

I usually just plow the ground up and top seed it.

Thanks for the advice on the fertilizer.

Ga-Spur

won't you need to plow the fertilizer in. I don't know about using a bedspring. I would be afraid that I would scape all the seed up in certain spots. I believe I would cut it up again and drag it and then seed it . Drag it lightly with a drag harrow or not at all.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
No need to drag.

Like RSR said -- plow -- top seed --- fertilize -- and then we pack with the four wheelers. ----- you're good to go. (assuming it's been limed properly)

The key right now is getting it planted. -- The window is closing fast for it to reach maturity before the nights turn cold and growth slows to almost nothing.

If it ain't planted now? ---- hurry every chance you get. :D

Timberman

It will

Be Tuesday or Wednesday... :)

Those boxsprings are the cats meow when it comes to covering seed. I used to harrow oats and wheat in til I found the springs and now for me that's the only way. All that's left of them is the metal.

Discing these plots again are out of the question. I have been over them 3 times with Big John and they are 10-12" soft dirt. After these last rains I don't think they will dry out enough to turn again, especially given my ever shrinking time frame. I've got a small tractor to spread seed and fertilizer, and we'll pull the drag with a 4 wheeler.

I'll just over seed the rape and drag the grains. :)

Last edited: