Seed prices

Deernut3

I think radish will replace rape in my plots from now on. They make much more foliage and are pretty browse resistant.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Woodbury Fertilizer ..... Woodbury, Ga
Hey Canuck- What makes the Durana clover so much better than the other clovers? Looking at the price made me wonder?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
It's like a Timex watch! Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! Am I showing my age?

It was developed in Georgia, for Georgia's conditions. It will tolerate (somewhat) lower soil ph, take the summer heat and come back in the fall and it is a perennial.

In 2008, I planted my first plot of it. At the same time I planted a small patch in the back of my yard and it is just now starting to fade, with me having done nothing to it. No lime, No fertilizer and I did no weed or grass control. It's not perfect, but a pretty good workhorse.

It's preference would be a part sun condition, but will tolerate full sun and almost full shade. I am now, always adding a medium red clover to my plots, even with Durana, the reason being, is it has a deeper root and performs better in these 100 degree days. However, medium red clover might only be a 2 year clover.

Durana is a good comprise for soil and weather conditions.

Attachments

• Durana Graph.JPG
    Durana Graph.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 7
  • durana yield.JPG
    durana yield.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Medium red clover 9-3-2021-1.jpg
    Medium red clover 9-3-2021-1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 7

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
So what would your second choice after Durana be for a clover plot?

HuntingFool

I am right there with Canuck. I used to plant summer and fall foodplots. I have not done that in years since I started planting Durana. I will broadcast some greens in the Fall but nothing else. Plots have lasted for years and I don't have to go out in the heat to till and replant twice a year. I may have to spray or mow every once in a while but that is nothing to replanting them all twice a year.

Canuck5

So what would your second choice after Durana be for a clover plot?
If you draw a line between Macon Georgia and Dallas Texas, anything above that line, Pennington will suggest Durana. Below it, not so much, but some people do have success with it. I sit on that line and have had success with Durana, but I always plant a mix of clovers now for a few reason.

@Triple C has had great success with Regalgraze and he is in NE GA.

University of Georgia suggests:

Crimson clover will be the first clover to jump out of the ground in the fall, but not last as long. Arrowleaf follows it and produces a lot of seed, which is good for the next year. Medium red will produce in the heat of the summer and can be a (2 year) biennial. And I always will throw in a white clover.

Now having said all that, a ph above 6 and P&K in good quantity after a soil test will make everything shine.

Attachments

• Proudction of cool season crops.JPG
    Proudction of cool season crops.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Cool season seed.JPG
    Cool season seed.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Clover soil.JPG
    Clover soil.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 5
  • Clover soil-1.JPG
    Clover soil-1.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Clover germination.JPG
    Clover germination.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Clover germination1.JPG
    Clover germination1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 6

Canuck5

For those closer to Florida

Attachments

• Florida clovers.JPG
    Florida clovers.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 14

Canuck5

It's a good clover too ....a mix of 3 clovers.

Attachments

• Imperial Whitetail Institute1.JPG
    Imperial Whitetail Institute1.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 26

Canuck5

There are lots of clovers out there!

Attachments

• Imperial Whitetail Institute2.JPG
    Imperial Whitetail Institute2.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 10

Canuck5

I planted Advantage a few years back and liked it ..... but couldn't find it again.

Attachments

• Imperial Whitetail Institute.JPG
    Imperial Whitetail Institute.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 13

Long Cut

I’ve had good luck with Durana, Patriot, Aberlasting and of course, Crimson.
Beginning to dabble with medium reds and blending chicory in as well.

My favorite KISS plot is brassicas planted in August. 3 Clover blend planted in September. Abruzzi Rye planted in October and November.
Strictly throw & grow, before rains.
Just mow then spray in August before planting. Fertilize with planting the Brassicas & Rye.

Very simple yet effective.