Where to get your food plot seed

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I just noticed the net weight at 45 pounds .....not sure it's still true today, but factoring in germination, there's 38.25 pounds of PLS (pure live seed) in that bag

mattb78

I know what you are saying about the local stores not always having the stock that you need. I honestly have not found a great solution. I agree that getting your small seed (clovers and brassicas) shipped is the best idea and then you have to take your chance on the local store having the right cereal grains in stock. Its a pain.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
That gas station by the river?

Yes. Not the county line store closer to the river but the Sunoco. Shows up as flint river store on Google maps. I order everything I use from there and Bob has great prices.

Long Cut

Shop around local feed & seeds. I try not to pay shipping unless I’m buying small quantities of a unique seed nobody carries like Deer Vetch or newer clover varieties.

sghoghunter

And you could have bought 3 bags of fl720 or similar for $75 and had just as much oat seed

May could have but I’ve had real good luck with whitetail institute products and will continue to use them until I have problems. If I was planting a lot of acres I might would have a different mindset but right now I’ve only got 4 small plots

doomtrpr_z71

Maybe his time is worth more than it would take to go to a feed store to get the seed. How other people spend their money is none of your business. Everybody's situation is different
Yep, not everyone understands that a deer on the bag doesn't change the seed performance just makes the price double, especially for a bag of blended seed that has triticale for filler. If somebody doesn't want to save money for a university bred oat in a bag without a deer on it that's fine with me. Even at Mixon s higher prices you could order horizon oats and pay the semi drop charge for 3 bags for less money and have your time.

Canuck5

I think the answer is ......you have to find out for yourself.

My suggestion is, you now have, what, almost 4 acres to plant? In your almost 3 acre plot, buy 1 bag of BFO, 1 bag of Coker oats and one bag of awnless wheat and plant strips. Plant 40 pounds to the acre on the left, 40 pounds in the center and 40 pounds on the right. Then if you have a camera, put it out ... if not, look for tracks and the amount of nibbling.

Take the leftover 30 pounds, mix them together and put them in your new clover plot.

In the 3 acres, scatter peanuts, broadcast your crimson clover and 10 - 15 pounds of radish. Put 2-3 pounds of radish in your new clover plot.

Your deer will tell you what they like! Then you can work a plan for next year!

Canuck5

Unfortunately, Woodbury Fertilizer is not open on Saturday, but ...... they would have most everything you need. The EK102 Wheat is awnless and what that means is it has no beard or bristles on the seed head. The deer and turkeys will eat that seed head next spring. Just an added food source.

Woodbury Fertilizer 2022.jpg