Realistic Dream Hunt

arrendale8105

I’ll add this.
Those of you with dreams of doing these hunts and other bucket list items………… JUST DO IT !!!!

Don’t wait until you’re too old or not able.
If you have the desire then figure out a way !!!
I second this and here’s my story. Several years ago I was completing a job at a guys cabin. The man had all kinds of mounts all over the place and we got to talking. I pointed at the moose and said of everything in there that’s my dream. He asked me my age and I told him. He said let me tell u something. “Find a way to do it while you’re still young. My biggest regret is waiting too late in life to truly enjoy it.” He was going back to Canada on a sheep hunt that year and when he told me his age I a bout fell out. He was 71 and I would have guessed he was mid fifties maybe 60 at the oldest. He recommended the outfitter I ended up going with on my moose hunt and I paid on the trip every years b4 I actually went and it was the trip if a lifetime. I immediately started saving again and am going back for a mountain carabou next year. May take several years to plan/pay but like he said. “you only live once” I may have to stop one day but don’t plan on it right now.

Elk and an African safari are hopefully in the future.

huntfish

Hawken,

Bull moose in the rut, when they are responding to calling, has to be one of the top 5 big game hunts in North America, possibly the world. Hope you get out there after em and kill a 70 incher!
Nothing compares to a bull responding to a call. Hearing that bull tearing up the alders, listening to the grunt and then out of nowhere stands this 1500# animal in front of you with rage in its eyes.

kayaksteve

Spot and stalk mule deer would be killer but, may never happen for me. I definitely plan to do a diy pronghorn hunt some day.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Just did it...western elk hunt during the rut. Guess I need to come up with a new one... Maybe pronghorn in Wyoming.

I'll echo what @Milkman said, just do it. An outfitter can accommodate any physical condition...just let them know what your limitations are. Don't get to the end with a 'I wish I would'a"...

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Just did it...western elk hunt during the rut. Guess I need to come up with a new one... Maybe pronghorn in Wyoming.

I'll echo what @Milkman said, just do it. An outfitter can accommodate any physical condition...just let them know what your limitations are. Don't get to the end with a 'I wish I would'a"...
Indeed you did Dave. Congrats again.

My comment applies to anything on your bucket list, not just hunting. Anywhere you want to go is just a plane flight(s) away.

Big7

The Oracle
Any number of plains game hunts in Africa, especially Kudu, Impala, or Gemsbok.
I've heard on here and elsewhere Africa is (at least as) reasonable, maybe a little less than a lot of the Alaska trips.

Big7

The Oracle
Alaska would be tops for me and Elk and Moose would be the ticket- provided the tags and all the other red tape jived. I wouldn't mind paying a bit for that but NOT 40k. I'm thinking @Jetjocky posted that but NOT sure it was him.

Dall Sheep would be great for the difficulty in terrain and the likelihood of a very long shot but for all that xtra money, I think I'd prefer a
monster Elk or Moose, in that order.

And of course, do some serious saltwater and freshwater fishing.

An Alaska trip for me would be several weeks, maybe months if I'm throwing out that kind of cash. Some guided with lodging and some camping.

Big7

The Oracle
Another possibility would be
Montana and/or Wyoming.

Some folks out that way are willing to hook me up and I'd either do that as a stand alone or part of a loop that would include Alaska..

I got to get on it tho. 60 is just around the corner.

Just about got the equipment gathered together and some redundancy in case something breaks. The little van camper has a little ways to go. I have a most things for it. Just need to get a few more things and put it together.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
there was a feller from Missouri or Kansas on here yrs ago that rabbit hunted. he'd post pics of 30-50 rabbits a day hunts out there....that would be me dream, to go hunt where there are lots of bunnys......
Texas had no closed season on them. Was out Medina base shoot pigeons, went to get one, jumped a rabbit, shot it, went to get it and jumped another and another...had to go back and get more shells. Then we took turns pushing mesquite while the other was on top of an asphalt pile. We ended up with 20 bunnies and decided to stop, a lot of cleaning.

shdw633

Yukon Moose hunt

I did a dream hunt of mine in September w/ Livingston Outfitters out of Cody for archery elk. 18 miles on horseback one way into the Shoshone N.F. It was truly an epic experience! Me and a buddy tagged a couple respectable 6 pt bulls. Now looking for the next adventure. Maybe Alaskan/Yukon

Attachments

• 20230913_191251.jpg
    20230913_191251.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230915_082649.jpg
    20230915_082649.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 18