Red Dot Scope and 22 rifle

dslc6487

Does anyone out there hunt squirrels with a 22 rifle with a red dot scope? I now have a 4x scope on my Remington Nylon 66, but was just thinking about using a red dot scope. Just looking for some advice and input.

Cleankill47

I did for awhile when I was younger, just because a red dot seemed so awesome, but I prefer a plain duplex reticle scope now if I use a scope.

The cheaper red dots have HUGE dots, and it made aiming a pain for me. The better ones might be easier and have a smaller dot, but I got away from needing batteries on anything, especially on smaller calibers going after small game. Just my preference, really.

Try it if you want, you can always put it on something else or take it back if you don't like it. If mine hadn't broken a few years back I was going to put it on a slug barrel for close-in low light hog hunting in the brush. And just saying that made me want to go get another one specifically for that purpose. :)

You'll never know if you don't give it a shot.

stabow

I bought a red dot to put on a pistol that didn't work out so I put it on a Ruger 10/22 .

I paid about $100 for a red dot. Loved it for cans. Hated it for squirrels. I want to take 45 yard head shots and the 3 moa dot is the size of the squirrel at that distance. Get a good quality fixed four scope from Nikon or Leopold. You won't regret it.

bullgator

Look at the Primary Arms Advanced Microdot. It's a 2moa dot and sells for $169. I was very impressed and he dot is almost as good as my Aimpoint.
Having no magnification can actually help when shooting offhand.