Red dot sights

will hunt 4 food

Any one have any experience with the sights similar to the optima 2000. I tried the JPoint a few years ago and was very disappointed. They had a very short life on my 454.

What sight options do you like that are similar?
I have used a pro point for years but would like to find something smaller.

8pointduck

I don't know about the one you are talking about, but I do have an Ultra-Dot on my .44 mag and would not trade it for the world

Davexx1

The red dot on my Contender pictured in the handgun photos section is a 30mm with either a 3 moa or a 4 moa dot in it. It was bought and installed new when I bought the gun about 5-6 years ago. The red dot came with rings and was easy to install and sight in. It is a great deer hunting sight. I like it and have not had any trouble whatsoever with it. I haven't even changed the battery yet. Mine was about $125 when bought new via mail order.

Here is a link to their west website where you can read all about their many red dot type sight products:

http://www.ultradotwest.com/

Hope this helps.

Dave1

will hunt 4 food

Dave1 that is similar to what I have. I like it ,but would like to find something smaller. The Jpoint was tiny not much bigger than the rear sight, but one only lasted about 10 rounds and the other I got one season hunting out of. I don't want to go through another $300 failure like that. Like you I've had great success with the larger site I've used it since 98 with no problem. I'd just like something smaller.

MERCing

I got an Optima 2000 several years ago and have used it on a S&W .44 and a Taurus .44 with heavy loads and a Glock mdl 20 and never had any problems.

It is currently mounted on a S&W .22 that my G/F likes to play with. That was a mistake. She claims it now.

Two things I don't care for are the "cover" that puts it in the sleep mode(wish it had an on/off switch) and it is sometimes aggreviating to sight in.
My dad and brother both have JPoints(and the replacements they were sent) and have had nothing but trouble with them.

will hunt 4 food

I got an Optima 2000 several years ago and have used it on a S&W .44 and a Taurus .44 with heavy loads and a Glock mdl 20 and never had any problems.

It is currently mounted on a S&W .22 that my G/F likes to play with. That was a mistake. She claims it now.

Two things I don't care for are the "cover" that puts it in the sleep mode(wish it had an on/off switch) and it is sometimes aggreviating to sight in.
My dad and brother both have JPoints(and the replacements they were sent) and have had nothing but trouble with them.

Those Jpoints stink the laser diode came lose on both of mine. They should use better glue and they would be fine they still work just won't adjust.
My brother had a optima 2000 on his .44 once and that's why I tried the Jpoint. His optima has been on several guns an has lasted for years.

44mags

I also use a ultra-dot in 30mm match dot mod. it has a 2,4,6,8moadots on a 9.5" ruger super red in 44mag. has held up great for 2 years. i like th j site also but did"nt hold up. you might want to try th burris fast fire, i think midway carrys it. I read some good reads on it. Would try my self but th ultra dot just keeps doing me fine. good luck -44

captainhook

I have a tru glo on my 44 and it is really sturdy. There are better ones out there but the price is higher. I would be interested in trying a Zeiss Z point but our business is off pretty bad this year so I will make do with the tru glo 30 mm.

Buckhead

J Point

I have one mounted on my 5.5 inch Mark II Ruger bull barrel. I found a custom mount for the J Point that replaced the rear sight and it is sweet. With a rest at 25 yards, that thing will group 'em tight. That sight also allows you to use a lot of conventional holsters with no issues.

I have not had any problems with my J Point, but I don't shoot much. I am always careful with the optics on all of my guns. More for the fear of knocking them out of alignment than anything else.