Remington 870 issues

coastalredneck

I posted this in the gunsmith forum.. but thought I would post here also considering the gun discussed is a popular turkey gun.. see below.

I got my daughter an 870 youth (wood) this past Christmas. She shot a few turkey loads through it before the season and that's it. I went to put it up in the safe (turkey season) and noticed that you could engage the action (pump) when it was on safety and without pushing the release button by the trigger guard. If you wiggled the pump somewhat you could easily pull it down about 2 inches.. causing a jam. I took a rubber mallet and could hit it back into place but not sure about this. has anyone heard of this before? I own a few BPS's and they will not do this. anyone with knowledge of this think its a defect and should back to Remington?

chase870

Possum Sox
I posted this in the gunsmith forum.. but thought I would post here also considering the gun discussed is a popular turkey gun.. see below.

I got my daughter an 870 youth (wood) this past Christmas. She shot a few turkey loads through it before the season and that's it. I went to put it up in the safe (turkey season) and noticed that you could engage the action (pump) when it was on safety and without pushing the release button by the trigger guard. If you wiggled the pump somewhat you could easily pull it down about 2 inches.. causing a jam. I took a rubber mallet and could hit it back into place but not sure about this. has anyone heard of this before? I own a few BPS's and they will not do this. anyone with knowledge of this think its a defect and should back to Remington?

Take the magazine cap off pull the barrel off take the for arm off and the bolt out. Make sure the nut inside the for arm that attaches it to the twin action bars is tight. The other thing is the bolt carrier might not be setting exactly right on the twin action slide bars. Take it apart and check all this reassemble it and see if that fixes it

TomC

I second Chae870's advice. I love my little 870 Youth and it's replaced shotguns that cost 5 times as much as my primary turkey gun. While not related to your problem I have had issues. Its not a "refined" shotgun by any stretch of the imagination. I disassemble, clean thoroughly and lightly oil with CLP on a VERY regular basis to keep it functioning smoothly. A little bit.....a little bit of debris and or dirt in the wrong place can cause my pump to jam up and not function properly. Its a turkey killing machine in a TINY package so I overlook its flaws!