Removing bent shear bolt

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If you have an air hammer, you could just use that to drive out the pin after you have cut the head off of the bolt.

1686573060823.png

Jim Baker

Staff member
I hope this is not too far off topic, but is it not supposed to be a grade 8 bolt? The reason I ask is because a camper that I have has got a grade 8 bolt in the drive shaft for the slide out. It has sheared twice on me in eight years. It is what was in it when I bought it so that's what I replaced it with. Is a grade 8 more or less brittle, or hardened, or whatever the term may be, than an actual shear pin?

So, if you buy something used and something breaks or wears out, trying to stay on topic here, how would you know what grade bolt to put in it?
Bolts have markings on the head to tell what grade of hardness. You can google it.

Grade 8 is hard and used where you don't want it to sheer or wear. Which is what I would think you would want in your application. People put Grade 8s in place of sheer pins because they get tired of replacing the softer bolts. Such a practice will eventually cause damage to the drive train of a rotary mower.

That said I am not an engineer nor mechanic so my advice is worth what you pay for it.

bany

I just re-read the op’s post and in answer to your question; Not enough to make much difference and you’ll likely do more damage to everything around the bolt trying.
If it wiggles some it should drive out easily enough and replace it with a proper pin.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
A couple months ago I was given a old 5 foot bush hog brand rotary mower. First thing I done was remove the rusted out stump jumper and change the blades and bolts and it the working on it I noticed that someone has put in a grade 8 bolt in where the shear bolt goes where the shaft goes on gearbox. Also I’m thinking it’s already bent a little bit cause it’ll wiggle a tad each way but won’t turn all the way or come out. Has anyone ever ran into something like this? Do ya think if I heat the bolt red hot that it’ll loose it’s temper?
Why replace it?

SwampMoss

Do not use a grade 8 it is to hard and can cause the u-joint to warp. Don’t ask why I know? I ended up buying a slip clutch from tractor supply and not had any problems since. When I put the slip clutch on I used grade 8 for it.

sghoghunter

Finally got the bolt out. Someone had hit something before I got it and bent the bolt inside just like I thought. I put a 3/4 impact on it and it wouldn’t budge so I screwed the nut back on and started beating. It was pretty tight the first half but fell out the last half.

Attachments

• 270F21EA-C0B7-4F0B-978B-07FA0C8AA8E8.jpeg
    270F21EA-C0B7-4F0B-978B-07FA0C8AA8E8.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 42
Finally got the bolt out. Someone had hit something before I got it and bent the bolt inside just like I thought. I put a 3/4 impact on it and it wouldn’t budge so I screwed the nut back on and started beating. It was pretty tight the first half but fell out the last half.
Sucker was in there and all mangled up . Good work

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Great news.
Put a handful of softer bolts in your tool box. Sometimes it’s annoying when one shears but nothing like this one was.

sghoghunter

Great news.
Put a handful of softer bolts in your tool box. Sometimes it’s annoying when one shears but nothing like this one was.

Gonna grab some tomorrow. Whoever bent this one must have hit something multiple times cause I’ve got a 4 ft mower on my lil Japanese tractor and I’ve abused it way worse than I should and never broke a regular grade bolt in it