Renamed Thread: Midwest Prep 2024 - Please join in and share your plans!!!

Shane Dockery

I know it's not Midwest, but did anyone put in for the Colorado draw? Couple of my hunting buddies and I put in for a mule deer tag. I'm the only one with multiple points, so for the game unit I should draw. We'll still buy the bull tag over the counter once we arrive. Put in for the second gun season.

Jim Boyd

I know it's not Midwest, but did anyone put in for the Colorado draw? Couple of my hunting buddies and I put in for a mule deer tag. I'm the only one with multiple points, so for the game unit I should draw. We'll still buy the bull tag over the counter once we arrive. Put in for the second gun season.

It’s close enough!!!

Good luck and we would love to see pics and know the details!

Big bold trip!

Shane Dockery

It’s close enough!!!

Good luck and we would love to see pics and know the details!

Big bold trip!
Thanks. I've been to this area before and had a great time. This is a first for trying to pull a mule deer tag. Excited to say the least. Love it out there!

Jim Boyd

Thanks. I've been to this area before and had a great time. This is a first for trying to pull a mule deer tag. Excited to say the least. Love it out there!

My buddies went and the images are awesome.

Shane Dockery

Beautiful scenery! Gotta catch up on my workouts though!

Attachments

• 20141017_133011.jpg
    20141017_133011.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20141016_150640.jpg
    20141016_150640.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20141018_101109.jpg
    20141018_101109.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20141022_182055.jpg
    20141022_182055.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 24

Jim Boyd

Stunning!

The land itself looks like a workout!

Jim Boyd

A month out now - in getting to the IL
farms for work, scouting, cameras and visiting landowners.

Betting some of the corn is in by now.

I know the cell cams are ready but I gotta start sorting through the herd of traditional cams to take also.

I feel it building!

slow motion

Had planned on getting up last weekend but my sister came in for a visit. Looking at wind direction app this morning and picked out the best stand location for the direction base on my observations of deer movement thus far. Last fall had a lot of wind out of the South. Didn’t have a place I was confident about. Now I've got a spot picked out for such by a heavy trail. East wind is gonna be iffy for an evening hunt but working on some ideas. Just not sure if they travel where I need them to.

Jim Boyd

Had planned on getting up last weekend but my sister came in for a visit. Looking at wind direction app this morning and picked out the best stand location for the direction base on my observations of deer movement thus far. Last fall had a lot of wind out of the South. Didn’t have a place I was confident about. Now I've got a spot picked out for such by a heavy trail. East wind is gonna be iffy for an evening hunt but working on some ideas. Just not sure if they travel where I need them to.

For us @ Charlies place, a south wind is semi-tough.

We seem to get a good bit of N and NW and those are both good.

Heck, just being there in November is good!

jimbar

I got back from my Missouri lease a couple of days ago. It sure was nice to enjoy a few more days of cool weather. Shot one gobbler, put up one ladder stand, and 5 cameras. We ate a lot of food, had a lot of laughs and made some good memories. When the batteries start getting low in the cameras we'll go back out and put up some more stands and pop-up blinds. Bucks are just starting to grow.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 860322065137421-100-4-04252024200802-W1002204.JPG
    860322065137421-100-4-04252024200802-W1002204.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 868032069622367-90-3-04252024083756-V-W1002902_445329255224076.JPG
    868032069622367-90-3-04252024083756-V-W1002902_445329255224076.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 21

Jim Boyd

I got back from my Missouri lease a couple of days ago. It sure was nice to enjoy a few more days of cool weather. Shot one gobbler, put up one ladder stand, and 5 cameras. We ate a lot of food, had a lot of laughs and made some good memories. When the batteries start getting low in the cameras we'll go back out and put up some more stands and pop-up blinds. Bucks are just starting to grow.

Absolutely a great report.

Congrats on the gobbler.

Nothing like memories - those are all we are gonna escape this world with!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree

Sounds and looks like a fine time in the spring woods. Congrats to you and Debbie on the birdie and the memories.

flatsmaster

We usually have S wind almost as much as N and NW … E wind very little thank goodness … if u can get them to travel where you need them head over to my farms and teach me … there playing chess while we’re still on checkers with the exception of my daughter they hunt her up !!! Good luck Dale on year number 2

There’s something I need to send up to my buddy in July or August if I can just remember what it is

Come on late Oct !!!!!!IMG_6537.jpeg

slow motion

We usually have S wind almost as much as N and NW … E wind very little thank goodness … if u can get them to travel where you need them head over to my farms and teach me … there playing chess while we’re still on checkers with the exception of my daughter they hunt her up !!! Good luck Dale on year number 2

There’s something I need to send up to my buddy in July or August if I can just remember what it is

Come on late Oct !!!!!!View attachment 1302487
Slips my mind what it might be you should mail. Sure it will come to me. Good luck brother.

slow motion

Drug second block target out as backstop. It has sides that are for field points as well as broadheads. First one may as well but currently has a nice mud patina so can't read. Still at roughly 10 yards. Took a shot. Low and left. Adjusted and second shot. Moving that way but more adjustment needed. Third shot. Still moving but still needs more adjustments. Click click click and go pull bolts. Can't get them out. Not sure if it's frozen or there just too close for a good grip. I refuse to consider the most likely cause, that I'm too much of a girlie man to pull it out. Game postponed. Ill get an arrow puller later today.View attachment 1286272
So I walked last years weed patch/garden and found a couple more gourds for the girlfriend to create with.
View attachment 1286274
Here's a couple more observations. While cocking if your hand slips it wont spin out of your hand. It locks as you crank it. Will only spool backwards if you hold the switch down. Won't cock unless the safety is off. If the safety is on you must lift a switch to release it. Its part of the dry fire mechanism. When cooking the first click you here is the string setting that switch. It can set that switch but not be cocked. Make sure it's actually cocked. I stopped once after that click. As you have to place tension on the string to move the crank into release mode you will still have your hand on the crank knob. If cocked properly there will be a small amount of tension on the device as the sled is wider than the apparatus that holds the string. If after the sled moves down slightly there is still tension it isn't cocked. Takes a few times but I got the hang of it. Now the way the sled cockers ride on top of the rail they rub a lot of the lube off. Gonna need to reapply more often.View attachment 1286273
I've got it dialed in and then it spreads back out. Now still within a 3 inch circle out to 50 but not stacking em. Maybe it's just me but seems something is off. Scope is tight. I'll keep after it. Probably just operator error. Getting used to the crank. First loud click, actually more of a pop and the trigger sets. You can see the trigger move. Second click as the string passes the anti dry fire mechanism and it clicks back down to safe mode. Third click and the quietest as it grabs the string. Hold the handle as you release the tension on the crank. If you didn't get the last click it will completely uncock if you let it. In that case release the lever on the crank and its spring loaded to return to the lock position. Don't want to end up with a broken hand like someone who shall remain nameless (@Jim Thompson )::ke: Bear in mind since the cocking sled is wider that the mechanism that holds the string there will be some tension on the crank as you release even when cocked but will lessen quickly. Just my observations so far. Almost May. 5.5 months to Ga. archery. Another month until Illinois opener. 1 more month and it's Sweet Sweet November.

Jim Boyd

I've got it dialed in and then it spreads back out. Now still within a 3 inch circle out to 50 but not stacking em. Maybe it's just me but seems something is off. Scope is tight. I'll keep after it. Probably just operator error. Getting used to the crank. First loud click, actually more of a pop and the trigger sets. You can see the trigger move. Second click as the string passes the anti dry fire mechanism and it clicks back down to safe mode. Third click and the quietest as it grabs the string. Hold the handle as you release the tension on the crank. If you didn't get the last click it will completely uncock if you let it. In that case release the lever on the crank and its spring loaded to return to the lock position. Don't want to end up with a broken hand like someone who shall remain nameless (@Jim Thompson )::ke: Bear in mind since the cocking sled is wider that the mechanism that holds the string there will be some tension on the crank as you release even when cocked but will lessen quickly. Just my observations so far. Almost May. 5.5 months to Ga. archery. Another month until Illinois opener. 1 more month and it's Sweet Sweet November.

Great report.

I gotta get mine out and shoot.

I have more projects these days than I have Jim.

The move this fall is not making it any easier.

Great problems to have!!!!!!

slow motion

Need to purchase lease insurance. Always had it included in the lease until last year. @Jim Boyd included me on his policy as a favor and offered to again this year. Fine man is our brother Jim. Tempting offer but I need to stand on my own 2 feet as well as I wouldn't want the possibility of liability for him if something unthinkable happened. Yall know about myoccasional mishaps. Pretty sure they are all about the same and Jim has said as much but since I occasionally overthink things, Anything to look out for or make sure I include? Gotta get it done. Got my lease in the mail and need to get it paid and a certificate back to them.

Jim Boyd

Need to purchase lease insurance. Always had it included in the lease until last year. @Jim Boyd included me on his policy as a favor and offered to again this year. Fine man is our brother Jim. Tempting offer but I need to stand on my own 2 feet as well as I wouldn't want the possibility of liability for him if something unthinkable happened. Yall know about myoccasional mishaps. Pretty sure they are all about the same and Jim has said as much but since I occasionally overthink things, Anything to look out for or make sure I include? Gotta get it done. Got my lease in the mail and need to get it paid and a certificate back to them.

I would just get a Woods mower and mount it on the front of that ATV and that way you can just mow the beans for the neighbors.

Latest posts