Renamed Thread: Midwest Prep 2024 - Please join in and share your plans!!!

slow motion

Comes with rail lube, scope caps, and a cloth to clean scope lenses. No doubt the cloth is a good idea for the scope, binos, and all optics but I usually end up using a glove or the corner of my shirt.20240127_092000.jpg

It has a 3 position stirrup. Fully extended for cocking. Halfway for use as a monopod. Completely folded out of the way. Doesn't seem to lock in the completely folded position but could be operator error.
20240127_092510.jpg20240127_092527.jpg20240127_092554.jpg
Went out between showers and fired a few. Tried at 10 yards to make sure I was in the target. Plenty of thump. Complete pass thru on the block crossbow target. Gonna have to drag out the other target from the shed as a backstop. Probably wait for drier weather.

Jim Boyd

Comes with rail lube, scope caps, and a cloth to clean scope lenses. No doubt the cloth is a good idea for the scope, binos, and all optics but I usually end up using a glove or the corner of my shirt.View attachment 1285823

It has a 3 position stirrup. Fully extended for cocking. Halfway for use as a monopod. Completely folded out of the way. Doesn't seem to lock in the completely folded position but could be operator error.
View attachment 1285824View attachment 1285826View attachment 1285825
Went out between showers and fired a few. Tried at 10 yards to make sure I was in the target. Plenty of thump. Complete pass thru on the block crossbow target. Gonna have to drag out the other target from the shed as a backstop. Probably wait for drier weather.

Can’t wait to see how it goes!

We are on the edge of our seats!

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I have the new flagship mathews lift on the way. Would have had it by now if it weren't for being left handed. Headed back to Iowa this yr. Might try to make 2 trips this year. Messing around with a saddle in the off-season to get up some of those gnarly trees.

Jim Boyd

I have the new flagship mathews lift on the way. Would have had it by now if it weren't for being left handed. Headed back to Iowa this yr. Might try to make 2 trips this year. Messing around with a saddle in the off-season to get up some of those gnarly trees.

You, sir, will be deadly!

Please do share along the way.

We love pics, too!!!!!’

Jim Boyd

@mizzippi jb

Iowa : where dreams are made !

Sitting in 5-6 points. Gonna work to make 2025 my one shot adventure!

Everyone: tell us about your short and long term Midwest dreams and plans?

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I'm always doing my Iowa every 3rd yr.... But still looking for a fill in for the Midwest for the years I'm not up there. Kinda think I'm on to something that will work out.

Jim Boyd

I am gonna do west central Illinois this fall, like normal - 2025 I will do the archery season and add shotgun at same farm.

2026 will do Illinois and Iowa hopefully. Gonna visit SE Iowa that spring / summer and work to find small farm.

If it worked out, I would try to go every 3-4 years but I will be 73 or 74 years young them.

Time - like energy - is running out.

I ain’t scared though, I mostly have gotten my money’s worth so far.

flatsmaster

I’ve been looking hard at the Lift
I haven’t shot a Mathews since my Switchback but gonna shoot a Lift next week

slow motion

Drug second block target out as backstop. It has sides that are for field points as well as broadheads. First one may as well but currently has a nice mud patina so can't read. Still at roughly 10 yards. Took a shot. Low and left. Adjusted and second shot. Moving that way but more adjustment needed. Third shot. Still moving but still needs more adjustments. Click click click and go pull bolts. Can't get them out. Not sure if it's frozen or there just too close for a good grip. I refuse to consider the most likely cause, that I'm too much of a girlie man to pull it out. Game postponed. Ill get an arrow puller later today.20240130_095547.jpg
So I walked last years weed patch/garden and found a couple more gourds for the girlfriend to create with.
20240130_103229.jpg
Here's a couple more observations. While cocking if your hand slips it wont spin out of your hand. It locks as you crank it. Will only spool backwards if you hold the switch down. Won't cock unless the safety is off. If the safety is on you must lift a switch to release it. Its part of the dry fire mechanism. When cooking the first click you here is the string setting that switch. It can set that switch but not be cocked. Make sure it's actually cocked. I stopped once after that click. As you have to place tension on the string to move the crank into release mode you will still have your hand on the crank knob. If cocked properly there will be a small amount of tension on the device as the sled is wider than the apparatus that holds the string. If after the sled moves down slightly there is still tension it isn't cocked. Takes a few times but I got the hang of it. Now the way the sled cockers ride on top of the rail they rub a lot of the lube off. Gonna need to reapply more often.20240130_095016.jpg

Jim Boyd

Drug second block target out as backstop. It has sides that are for field points as well as broadheads. First one may as well but currently has a nice mud patina so can't read. Still at roughly 10 yards. Took a shot. Low and left. Adjusted and second shot. Moving that way but more adjustment needed. Third shot. Still moving but still needs more adjustments. Click click click and go pull bolts. Can't get them out. Not sure if it's frozen or there just too close for a good grip. I refuse to consider the most likely cause, that I'm too much of a girlie man to pull it out. Game postponed. Ill get an arrow puller later today.View attachment 1286272
So I walked last years weed patch/garden and found a couple more gourds for the girlfriend to create with.
View attachment 1286274
Here's a couple more observations. While cocking if your hand slips it wont spin out of your hand. It locks as you crank it. Will only spool backwards if you hold the switch down. Won't cock unless the safety is off. If the safety is on you must lift a switch to release it. Its part of the dry fire mechanism. When cooking the first click you here is the string setting that switch. It can set that switch but not be cocked. Make sure it's actually cocked. I stopped once after that click. As you have to place tension on the string to move the crank into release mode you will still have your hand on the crank knob. If cocked properly there will be a small amount of tension on the device as the sled is wider than the apparatus that holds the string. If after the sled moves down slightly there is still tension it isn't cocked. Takes a few times but I got the hang of it. Now the way the sled cockers ride on top of the rail they rub a lot of the lube off. Gonna need to reapply more often.View attachment 1286273

Looking great, Slow!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Drug second block target out as backstop. It has sides that are for field points as well as broadheads. First one may as well but currently has a nice mud patina so can't read. Still at roughly 10 yards. Took a shot. Low and left. Adjusted and second shot. Moving that way but more adjustment needed. Third shot. Still moving but still needs more adjustments. Click click click and go pull bolts. Can't get them out. Not sure if it's frozen or there just too close for a good grip. I refuse to consider the most likely cause, that I'm too much of a girlie man to pull it out. Game postponed. Ill get an arrow puller later today.View attachment 1286272
View attachment 1286274
Here's a couple more observations. While cocking if your hand slips it wont spin out of your hand. It locks as you crank it. Will only spool backwards if you hold the switch down. Won't cock unless the safety is off. If the safety is on you must lift a switch to release it. Its part of the dry fire mechanism. When cooking the first click you here is the string setting that switch. It can set that switch but not be cocked. Make sure it's actually cocked. I stopped once after that click. As you have to place tension on the string to move the crank into release mode you will still have your hand on the crank knob. If cocked properly there will be a small amount of tension on the device as the sled is wider than the apparatus that holds the string. If after the sled moves down slightly there is still tension it isn't cocked. Takes a few times but I got the hang of it. Now the way the sled cockers ride on top of the rail they rub a lot of the lube off. Gonna need to reapply more often.View attachment 1286273

Good looking gourd you have there

Latest posts