Renamed Thread: Midwest Prep 2024 - Please join in and share your plans!!!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
There is a fella on crossbow nation. That makes products especially for ravins. One is a crank handle relocation deal a trigger shoe and other things. He is really good when it comes to ravins. @Jim
His name is bigbird1
Here is a link to him describing what he offers and how they work. I highly recommended him

@Jim Boyd @bigchiefchoctaw

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Bill. Will update after it all gets here and lined up. Had been reading his stuff and watching the videos since I got the Ravin. Looks like quality and usable.

1. Rear crank handle holder.
2. String latch release tool.
3. Nock centering tool.
4. Top mount quiver holder, left side.
5. Stirrup that will work with the top mounted quiver.
6. Attachment for Primos Pole Cat bipod.
7. Left side Bubble level.

Mike 65

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Bill. Will update after it all gets here and lined up. Had been reading his stuff and watching the videos since I got the Ravin. Looks like quality and usable.

3. Nock centering tool.
Does he have a website?

3. Nock centering tool.
I think you will be very happy with bills products ! Fine gentleman. Looking forward to your reviews and thoughts

Jim Boyd

No website. This is the video Chocktaw posted earlier in the thread. If you email him he will email you back with a list of accessories he has with pricing and descriptions etc.

Here's his email. bigbirdravin@gmail.com

Emailed him also.

His reputation seems impeccable.

Interested to see all your “goodies”, Jim!!

Jo and I are headed to the farm for New Years and I decided to bail on hunting (this is our last weekend in SC).

Gonna enjoy the time with her, check the food plots and maybe start working our power line field. She wants a sunflower field this year after seeing some of the 2023 food plots. May do a ICP, sunflower and corn mix and see how it comes out.

Back to the bow next weekend.

Good luck all - Happy New Year!

Jim Boyd

Obviously, I got the Ravin but am testing my Parker as I hand it off to my older brother. 70+ year old Vietnam veteran and he will be with us LFTT this fall in west central Illinois - his first Midwest experience.

Bow shot 351, 350 and is DEAD NUTS at 20 and 50.

Can’t wait to see him in action!

Joker already killed one doe with this bow at our SC place - never even shot a practice shot…. Just got in stand and started killing.

20 and 50 yards in these pics.

IMG_4230.jpegIMG_4231.jpegIMG_4232.jpegIMG_4233.jpeg

Jim Boyd

Awesome bow, it might have already been said but Just be careful and make sure your Noc is all the way back , you’ll her a slight click if you pay attention , I know on mine you have to apply pretty good pressure to make sure it’s loaded right , I learned the hard way

Yessir, I will.

I am half scared of the thing anyway.

I can feel the click when the trigger or carrier snaps on to the string.

When I add the bolt, I can feel it release the anti dry fire mechanism and then after that, I feel the nock snap on the string.

All good advice and well heeded - thanks !

slow motion

So how goes the progress with the Ravin (never more)? Season just ended and I'm already getting antsy.

Jim Boyd

That 70 yard pic was the last shooting.

Busy at farm just now, will not be able to shoot this weekend unless I do so Sunday evening.

Next thing to work on is to ID an aiming point (such as 30 yards) that might allow me to shoot a 3” group from 0 yards out to say… 40 or 45 yards - without adjusting the dial.

That is the goal, point and shoot with no distraction.

Love having the simple reticle and again, I just want to aim and shoot.

A lot goes on in that compressed 2-3 seconds that often goes awry when a shot is taken and for my simple capabilities, simplest is best!

Jim Boyd

Back to the original thought of the post however - we are gonna try to undo a few years of not preparing well for the November Illinois hunt by working much harder - and more often - over the summer!

Jim Boyd

slow motion

Bought the xbow on clearance from Midway. 410 bucks. Haven't had a chance to really try it out yet but here's my thoughts so far. Typically not a fan of some assembly required but the limbs, cables, and string are all potential problem areas so not having the limb assembly installed on the body is probably a safer option as far as arriving damaged. I was a few beers deep when I started the assembly, probably not advised, but managed to get through without incident. Double checked this morning and all parts are in the correct place and the screws are seated and tight. A few spots in the directions could be explained a tad better but overall assembly wasn't bad. They give you plenty of Allen wrenches for the installation. 8 to be exact. Seems there were only 5 bolts on it plus the 2 that hold the scope to the picatinny rail. Those 2 dont have an allen head so maybe a universal package for all their products.
20240127_085906.jpg
Was a little heavier feel than I hoped for but specs say just over 8 lbs so can't expect it to be a featherweight. Sled type rope and crank cocker. Didn't think I would like the sled cocker as it was foreign to me but while it will require getting used to it attaches securely and seems to work well.
20240127_085941.jpg20240127_090012.jpg
Thought that long handle looked like it would be more at home on a reel for cranking grouper off the bottom but as it turns out by the time you get the string near the top you are glad to have it. Not that its extremely hard just takes a little torque toward the top. The crank is definitely not going to be quick as you have to fenagle the rope out of the crank and out enough to fit over the string and then out and over the scope after its cocked. No doubt the same for all crank cockers but just an observation. Also careful not to crank too far. It will firm up when completely cocked and you will hear the click but in the heat of the moment it seems possible to over crank and break something.20240127_090031.jpg

The release for playing rope out to attach to the string or out to release string when cocked. This model doesn't have a decock and warns against trying to do so with the release.20240127_090018.jpg

Peg on cocker fits into hole in stock.
20240127_090012.jpg20240127_090006.jpg
Scope is either illuminated red or green or left unilluminated20240127_091059.jpg20240127_090926.jpg
20240127_091147.jpg
No more pics allowed so will continue next post.

Attachments

• 20240127_085922.jpg
    20240127_085922.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 0

Jim Boyd

Bought the xbow on clearance from Midway. 410 bucks. Haven't had a chance to really try it out yet but here's my thoughts so far. Typically not a fan of some assembly required but the limbs, cables, and string are all potential problem areas so not having the limb assembly installed on the body is probably a safer option as far as arriving damaged. I was a few beers deep when I started the assembly, probably not advised, but managed to get through without incident. Double checked this morning and all parts are in the correct place and the screws are seated and tight. A few spots in the directions could be explained a tad better but overall assembly wasn't bad. They give you plenty of Allen wrenches for the installation. 8 to be exact. Seems there were only 5 bolts on it plus the 2 that hold the scope to the picatinny rail. Those 2 dont have an allen head so maybe a universal package for all their products.
View attachment 1285783
Was a little heavier feel than I hoped for but specs say just over 8 lbs so can't expect it to be a featherweight. Sled type rope and crank cocker. Didn't think I would like the sled cocker as it was foreign to me but while it will require getting used to it attaches securely and seems to work well.
View attachment 1285803View attachment 1285805
Thought that long handle looked like it would be more at home on a reel for cranking grouper off the bottom but as it turns out by the time you get the string near the top you are glad to have it. Not that its extremely hard just takes a little torque toward the top. The crank is definitely not going to be quick as you have to fenagle the rope out of the crank and out enough to fit over the string and then out and over the scope after its cocked. No doubt the same for all crank cockers but just an observation. Also careful not to crank too far. It will firm up when completely cocked and you will hear the click but in the heat of the moment it seems possible to over crank and break something.View attachment 1285807

The release for playing rope out to attach to the string or out to release string when cocked. This model doesn't have a decock and warns against trying to do so with the release.View attachment 1285806

Peg on cocker fits into hole in stock.
View attachment 1285805View attachment 1285804
Scope is either illuminated red or green or left unilluminatedView attachment 1285808View attachment 1285811
View attachment 1285809
No more pics allowed so will continue next post.

Looks darned groovy!!!!!!!