Renamed Thread: Midwest Prep 2024 - Please join in and share your plans!!!

slow motion

Mr. John is a good guy.

Congratulations!
Definitely. Said he is saving his hunting spot in case that farm is too wet for access. Said you can't drive all the way to Illinois and find out you can't get in. If it's dry then he will hunt this year but only if I don't need his place. That's amazing.

Jim Boyd

Definitely. Said he is saving his hunting spot in case that farm is too wet for access. Said you can't drive all the way to Illinois and find out you can't get in. If it's dry then he will hunt this year but only if I don't need his place. That's amazing.

World class offering.

Don’t recall how far the Macoupin county spot is from Jerseyville but we used to stay in Carlinville all the time.

Jim Boyd

Might ask him if you could go scout that farm in advance.

He might even permit a bow hunt ahead of shotgun. Maybe.

He has never been anything but high class when I dealt with him.

slow motion

Plan to apply for firearm or muzzleloader or both along with archery in Illinois this year. Also plan to purchase another point for Iowa. Posted before but at the wedding my new daughter's drunken uncle mentioned taking me hunting. They're Iowa residents. This will be 3 points just in case. If not I might use them anyway. Gonna be a busy fall. Illinois nonres application starts June 1. Iowa is in May think Kentucky and Missouri are OTC. Anybody know other deadlines? Might be helpful to other members here. Good luck folks. Will be here before you know it.

Jim Boyd

Plan to apply for firearm or muzzleloader or both along with archery in Illinois this year. Also plan to purchase another point for Iowa. Posted before but at the wedding my new daughter's drunken uncle mentioned taking me hunting. They're Iowa residents. This will be 3 points just in case. If not I might use them anyway. Gonna be a busy fall. Illinois nonres application starts June 1. Iowa is in May think Kentucky and Missouri are OTC. Anybody know other deadlines? Might be helpful to other members here. Good luck folks. Will be here before you know it.

Good luck for Iowa!

I am gonna wait til 25 for Iowa (hopeful) and 25 also for Illinois shotgun.

I ain’t excited yet but I can feel it growing!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
John, Bubba and lil ol me applied for KS again. Let's see if we can pull again. Seriously doubting that we will since we've never been shot down and the last few years have been very tough to get. Many folks hunting the same camp and same weeks as us have been declined.

We will be in IL on the lease again for sure.

And as much as I cussed at and wrote off Iowa about 5 years ago when they really screwed up one of my seasons (and plans for moving) yeah Bubba talked me into putting in for the draw again. So the 3 of us are trying to get pulled from the hat to go see Brad at Broken Brow again for the 1st time since 2018. Great fella that gives us the run of the place and will only have 3-4 at a time. Yeah but IA bites overall :rofl:

Mike 65

I Will get a 5th point this year for Iow. Plan on drawing in 25.
We plan on going to Missouri again this year. Was told on our trip a couple weeks ago that I will get to hunt the new farm when no paying hunters are there. We will be going back in May to finish up the cabin. Exiting year ahead! Wish everyone luck on the draws y’all put in for.
Come on November!!!

Jim Boyd

Yeah but IA bites overall :rofl:

I have never been and I will be a One-Time Charlie but I hope it does not bite really bad.

Will go up to SE Iowa in early 2025 and start looking for farms.

I have long advocated that folks go look after the corn goes in but I think I am gonna go early to mid March and hope to catch the farmers and landowners idling and waiting for spring.

That time of year would be ideal to scout. Not hot yet (maybe even cool), trails rubs and scrapes still visible etc.

John Deere hat and some southern charm….. I hope

Jeetdawg

Welp…me, the wife and FIL put in for our Kansas tags yesterday. With a preference point each, I’m sure to draw but I hope I don’t mess up @Jim Thompson getting drawn for the 115th time in a row . Our landowner is having shoulder surgery, so we had to push back our work days until late June. We will be in a stand no later than November 11th, which is prime killing time there. Really ready to knock a beast down for some Kansas redemption.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Welp…me, the wife and FIL put in for our Kansas tags yesterday. With a preference point each, I’m sure to draw but I hope I don’t mess up @Jim Thompson getting drawn for the 115th time in a row . Our landowner is having shoulder surgery, so we had to push back our work days until late June. We will be in a stand no later than November 11th, which is prime killing time there. Really ready to knock a beast down for some Kansas redemption.

#113 :bounce: I think it's been 8 years straight. In the begining we never thought about not pulling, but the last 3 there's been some horror stories.

We will see.

Good luck as always brother!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have long advocated that folks go look after the corn goes in but I think I am gonna go early to mid March and hope to catch the farmers and landowners idling and waiting for spring.

That time of year would be ideal to scout. Not hot yet (maybe even cool), trails rubs and scrapes still visible etc.

John Deere hat and some southern charm….. I hope

I agree with that. As you know early spring and fall the woods will look a lot different and hunt somewhat different but you can really see what you are working with. Even if you dont see a deer, you will definitely get a better feel for it.

Plus it'll either be nice and cool or downright cold. Good stuff either way

This is us on Mar 3, 2019 after making the decision to move.
20190303_122520.jpg20190303_145640.jpg20190303_154121.jpg

Jim Boyd

I agree with that. As you know early spring and fall the woods will look a lot different and hunt somewhat different but you can really see what you are working with. Even if you dont see a deer, you will definitely get a better feel for it.

Plus it'll either be nice and cool or downright cold. Good stuff either way

Yes the woods are way different.

Denuded is a good word for it.

Trails and old sign are easier to see.

I would be fine with 80-100 acres if it is laid out nicely with a good mix and easy access.

If the farm is not at least really good, I will pass and look for a good one - or just drift the 150 miles or so back to Charlie’s and hunt.

It does not HAVE to be 25 but for me to use my points, buy the tag, pay the lease or access fee and get lodging….. it is gonna have to be worth the one chance premise.

We will see!!!!!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I would be fine with 80-100 acres if it is laid out nicely with a good mix and easy access.
We will see!!!!!
Agreed. The 100 acres we had was a very very fine farm and then the little house Bubba built at the front made it even better. But then IA struck and we finally gave up and maybe even dropped a bad hand sign on the way out.

Btw if I remember right that day in the above pics topped out at 10*. Course that ain’t normal. It was that cold at home that year too. Normally for that time of year up here it’s very pleasant and enough to make you wanna pack up and move north.

uturn

Gotta a great call a week or so ago from my farmer relationship in Illinios, said that track of land that he was negotiating a couple years ago he told me about is now his and has a lot of timber on it…plan to come see it and it is mine to hunt this year…so headed that way to get a peek mid May…super stoked to say the least…still holding a Kansas preference and will pick up my I believe it will be my 5th Iowa preference this year…slingin arrows here on the Forrest everyday and building fence like nuts…

Jim Boyd

Gotta a great call a week or so ago from my farmer relationship in Illinios, said that track of land that he was negotiating a couple years ago he told me about is now his and has a lot of timber on it…plan to come see it and it is mine to hunt this year…so headed that way to get a peek mid May…super stoked to say the least…still holding a Kansas preference and will pick up my I believe it will be my 5th Iowa preference this year…slingin arrows here on the Forrest everyday and building fence like nuts…

Great news on the new farm!!!!!

That happened to us several years ago when Charlie added a new 62 acres.

Scout ‘em up!!!!!

uturn

Great news on the new farm!!!!!

That happened to us several years ago when Charlie added a new 62 acres.

Scout ‘em up!!!!!
Yessir, thanks Jim…longtime old relationship that had gone to leasing his land to outfitters and put me out of some sweet whitetail country maybe 10/12 yrs ago…seems it has come full circle..385 Acres I believe is what he told me!

Stoked is an understatement!!

Jim Boyd

Yessir, thanks Jim…longtime old relationship that had gone to leasing his land to outfitters and put me out of some sweet whitetail country maybe 10/12 yrs ago…seems it has come full circle..385 Acres I believe is what he told me!

Stoked is an understatement!!

Congrats!!!

385 is GIANT! What county, sir?

Wonder why he veered away from outfitters?

I firmly believe relationships are KEY.

When you develop those relationships and then add friendship - you are basically paving the way for long term arrangements.

So glad for you - can’t wait to see TC and hero pics!