Rude Hunters

sb1010

I had someone set up 50 yards behind me on Allatoona he had no way of knowing I was there. A tree hid me from him. I backed out.

Also on Allatoona I had someone start going up a tree about 75 yards in front of me. I kept waiving my hat trying to get their attention. This was during daylight. They ignored me or didn't see me. I left.

I've walked on people by accident, several times. I just back out.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I haven't done much hunting on public land but I've met quite a few rude hunters in hunting clubs. No matter where you were hunting, that's where they wanted to be. They'd be out of the stand and riding the roads before 10AM. They always needed help with something but disappeared when other work needed to be done. They were never late for supper but never around to clean up afterwards. That's why I don't join clubs anymore and it would take a pretty special one with a special bunch of fellas in it for me to change my mind on that.

Jim Boyd

I used to hunt Paulding forest when I lived in Hiram. I gave up after a few years because of folks walking in on me. I used to hunt Squirrel a lot and scout for good deer hunting locations at the same time just like everybody else. The gates were always closed for small game. I'd walks as far in as I could during small game, find a good spot and return for deer season. Of course the gates were opened then and every mothers son would drive as far back as they could and walk in on me while deer hunting. I know it's public land but it still gets frustrating.
Finally joined a lease and haven't set foot on public since.
As long as I can afford dues I'll hunt on a lease.

Winner in my book.

I have not SEEN another hunter in the woods in 15 years unless I told them where to go.

Checks and balances.

splatek

UAEC
I guess I’m so new that if another hunter walks in on me I feel like my scouting was good.
Have had it happen a few times. Most folks are cool, chat a bit and back out. One fella said he was going to go past to his stand and climbed the tree so loud it wasn’t worth sitting so I backed out.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I've hunted public land more then anything else. Majority of my deer heads are public land bucks. I've been walked up on so many times I can't count. Had multiple clubs over the years. That being said, I have my own small lease now and I'll never hunt a public land tract for deer again unless I have too. Same as I won't join a large "hunting club" that is full of strangers. The "peace" I get just sitting in my camp is all I need. The deer are just a bonus.

If you are going to hunt public, deal with it. There are rude people in every aspect of life that scream "It's all about ME!". The woods are no different. Just less of them.

Jim Boyd

Went to the Paulding Forest hunt this week…

We’ve probably all walked up on someone before and been shined off and had to go find another spot, that’s part of hunting WMA’s….but seems like shining off someone with a flashlight in the dark when they walk in on you, or whistling them off during daylight hours no longer works anymore.

Opening day PF I had a guy walk in on me in the dark, shined him and he turned and set up camp approx 100 yards still within sight. Now thankfully I was successful that morning but I mean, PF is a huge WMA, if someone is already hunting where you were planning on going back all the way out, find another spot, and get there earlier next time.

Same morning my brother had a guy walk in on him and ignore him whistling and set up within sight, and my uncle same morning same thing except the guy set up just over the ridge, not within sight but could still hear him. Next day same area dad had a guy sit on the ground within sight after whistling him off.

I guess my new tactic will be to just get down if I get a rude hunter set up shop within sight distance since it makes both sits pointless and then just start blaring music from my phone loudly as I walk all up and down the ravine while I sing along all morning.

So if you hear music with my awful singing next week at Pinelog, or during the Dec. PF hunt, it’s probably from me and you’re too close :)

We see these threads every year.

We should be realists and not expect change in people.

These same complaints were made when I started hunting public almost 45 years ago now.

Eventually, I quit with public but only because I was willing to work for (and in many cases, pay for) a better experience.

More people = more complaints.

If you look for something bad, you can find it.

If you look for something good, you can find that too.

Best of luck to all.

godogs57

Don't hunt in the same place as everybody else. I hunt public land a lot. I usually never see another person, because I don't hunt the obvious places.
Eggzackly. Hunted Berry College for years. Knew the WMA manager back then and I’d get the skinny from that person. Every year, I’d get a landowner tag, not having to be drawn. I was told the spot that was as close to guaranteed as you could get. No other hunters EVER, and loaded with deer. No one would ever go there even though it was easy to find. It was a 3.2 mile hike in. No roads near this spot! Being in my late 20’s that wasn’t a big deal at all. I’d hike in about 4:30 in total darkness (pre GPS of course) sit high on a saddle and settle in. Sunrise would come, the war would start, and I could take my pick of which deer to shoot. They’d all be moving up the drainage I was looking over.

The longest I ever had to hunt before I was gutting out a buck or doe was 8:30 one morning.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Same old public land complaints. No way I could put up with that stuff
You can hunt public for decades and never see anybody else. Just don't act like everybody else. You couldn't hogtie me and drag me into a "club lease."

huntfish

My worst transgression was accidentally climb a tree directly next to another guy, not even 10’ away in the dark. He didn’t shine me or make any noise at all. I got about 10’ up my tree before realizing there was another hunter staring down at me.
I had this happen to me at Redlands back in 1990's but on the same tree! He bought came unglued when I asked him if he thought we see anything with all the noise he made.

175rltw

BANNED
But then you get there first and the other hunter asks “didn’t you see I had my treestand right there???” As he refuses to move.
I mean- if a tree Stand is there- you know that someone else has peen apply ing pressure to the spot, and you know you have a good chance that there’s going to be another Hunter showing up.

I move on. To me it’s less about moving on because someone else claimed it but more because the spots been compromised and there’s a new variable that’s going to change how it hunts.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I had this happen to me at Redlands back in 1990's but on the same tree! He bought came unglued when I asked him if he thought we see anything with all the noise he made.
A friend of mine swears that happened to him at Horse Creek . He said he let the guy climb halfway up to him, and he said hey bud , you face that way and I’ll watch this way .