Running camp lights off a battery...

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'd run the compact flourescent. They use much less electricity and would probably allow you to run the bulbs for more than just a couple of hours.
yes but make sure they are 12 volts, u can get them at the camper stores. i tried it for a while, bout the time the campfire got roaring the lights went dim, solved the whole problem with a 5500 watt generator. it has enough juice to run our cabin, a/c, lights and even a electric heater.we built a small insulated and fireproof doghouse for it and from the cabin you cant hear it at all.:huh::hair::whip::pop::pop:

Hogtown

A combination of LED's, a Solar Panel and a couple of deep cycle batteries and you got all the lights you want with no need for jumpers, switching batteries etc... The technology is available and reasonably priced.

MudDucker

Staff member
Why not just get some propane lanterns and be done with it? I personally would not risk running my vehicle battery down and being stranded.

thomasr

If you really want to impress the guys at camp you can use any of the outstanding ideas listed above, and then top it off with a DC generator to charge everything back up. Here's a link to a sight that gives detailed instructions on how to turn a lawnmower motor into a DC generator using a GM styled alternator with an internal voltage regulator. There's another variation on the net that uses the whole lawnmower frame for added mobility. I could also see this type of thing used to rescue an electric golf cart that ran out juice.

http://www.theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

Attachments

• lgen.gif
    lgen.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,189
R

redneckcamo

If you really want to impress the guys at camp you can use any of the outstanding ideas listed above, and then top it off with a DC generator to charge everything back up. Here's a link to a sight that gives detailed instructions on how to turn a lawnmower motor into a DC generator using a GM styled alternator with an internal voltage regulator. There's another variation on the net that uses the whole lawnmower frame for added mobility. I could also see this type of thing used to rescue an electric golf cart that ran out juice.

http://www.theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

seen many a redneck do this exact thing too charge batteries , run lights for camp,fishing ,etc ....works great with horiz. or vert shaft engines !!

BUT THERE IS ALOT OF GOOD INFO IN THIS THREAD FOR A VARIETY OF FOLKS TOO GLEAN IDEAS FROM .....KUDOS TOO ALL YALL WOODYITES !!!:cool::cool::cool:

GREAT THREAD !!:clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts