Safety Harness?

Rosie Cotton Dancing

Can anyone tell me where I can get a good, COMFORTABLE, safety harness? I want to spend as little as possible.

Last edited:

onemilmhz

ChampionLegacyResources said:
Can anyone tell me where I can get a good, COMFORTABLE, safety harness? I want to spend as little as possible.
Hmmmm, the age old question... comfort vs. cost! Problem is the two don't usually go together. Ameristep makes one that is full body and faily inexpensive, around $35-40 I think. Not sure about comfort as I've never put it on. The most comfortable I've actually worn was a Hunters Saftey System vest from Bass Pro. They have them on sale right now but even then they are close to $100. Just depends on how much you value safety and comfort over cost.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_79336?cmCat=CROSSSELL&cmid=PP_P0_1

Davexx1

I don't have one but if I were to buy one it would have to be the HSS vest made out of the net fabric.

I could not stand to have a "jacket" on when hunting in the early season heat.

The HSS vest like I am describing was about $100 or so last year. I am guessing there is a subtantial mark up on this $100 product. Frankly, I think the retailers should make every effort possible to make these life saving devices very affordable for everyone.

Dave1

Steady73

The HSS vest with reversible orange is marked down $20 on the Bass Pro website.

gpigate

just a heads up... they ran a deal on the HSS if you were a North American Hunting Club member.

I jumped on it, it got here and the thing is HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!! The particular vest that came had a rip in one of the pockets so I sent back and spent the extra money to get the net version.

It is still heavy, but not as heavy as the other and being that it is a safety system, it is still somewhat comfortable.

whitworth

I always use a safety device climbing trees

But never used a harness.

At some point, there's a lot of things that can be required. Why someone could come up with a safety helmet; kevlar helmets to deflect bullets; nets below trees to break falls; certifying trees for climbing trees. You wouldn't be able to climb trees that weren't certified. Lots of things could be done in the name of "safety".

Glad I'm getting old. There's just too much to buy that's required or "highly recommended" in order to hunt in the field these days.

Within the last couple of years, I read of a man using a harness in a tree stand, hung himself. Some folks succeed in doing just about anything.

HighCotton

Summit SOP

I've heard some good things about the Seat of the Pants harness from Summitt. What about it? I'm in the market for a safety system too anfd would like some advise. :type:

HV

shadow2

I just baught the loggy bayou this past week and like it. It is a bit lighter and is very easy to put one. Not to mention i payed about 30 or so dollers less then the HSS.

Win270Brown

just a heads up... they ran a deal on the HSS if you were a North American Hunting Club member.

I jumped on it, it got here and the thing is HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!! The particular vest that came had a rip in one of the pockets so I sent back and spent the extra money to get the net version.

It is still heavy, but not as heavy as the other and being that it is a safety system, it is still somewhat comfortable.

Sorry to be :offtopic:....but I got something in the mail today about the North American Hunting Club. I wasn't sure if it was legit, good/bad/ugly......etc. Have you had a good experience with the club?

Sorry Champion for hijacking your thread....it's just something you're born with :bounce:

firebiker

you can't put a price on safety, save money elsewhere.
I got one of the HSS reversible vests :cool: Love it
not only is it probaly the safest on the market, but by far the easiest to put on in the dark in the morning when your have asleep

GobbleAndGrunt78

I saw that Wal-Mart has easy to use vest-style harnesses made by Gorilla for about $25....300lb capacity

SELFBOW

I suggest going and trying them on. I tried walmarts and didn't like it. I went to bass pro and tried on three plus a body harness. the HSS was the best. I got it at the blast for $100

gpigate

Sorry to be :offtopic:....but I got something in the mail today about the North American Hunting Club. I wasn't sure if it was legit, good/bad/ugly......etc. Have you had a good experience with the club?

Sorry Champion for hijacking your thread....it's just something you're born with :bounce:

they have a good mesg board as well. broken down by states, game etc. good member deals etc. has been worthwhile in my eyes if not for anything else other than the boards and discounts. not like i put the decal on my truck or anything.

Jake Allen

I like the API harnesses. Add a nice carbiener and it works good and is pretty comfortable.
E-Bay usally has several different brands for auction;
Summitt, HSS and the like. I bought two API's
this summer for $12.00 each.
Which ever you get, take the time to get used to it.
Pratice putting it on properly and using from the time you leave the ground and until you are back down.
Also think about carrying a screw in tree step and a sharp knife close at hand just in case you were to fall.

Win270Brown

I saw that Wal-Mart has easy to use vest-style harnesses made by Gorilla for about $25....300lb capacity

Sounds like the one for me. However, I'm skeptical about the comfort on one you can get at Walmart.
Thanks for all the input guys.

Latest posts