Schedule IV Medications

BriarPatch99

My interpretation of the DEA manual says that a class IV medication can only prescribed for six months(5 refills) without a new prescription....

Does anyone know if this is Now(today) in effect?

My Doctor is saying that I must get a new prescription every two months ...

I like to know if anyone else is dealing with this issue ...

This is doctor ..... not insurance related ....

Oldstick

I think they have really cracked down on the doctors within the last year. I know some folks are having to sign forms acknowledging they must bring certain medication bottles to every appointment (full or empty, no matter what) or they will not be seen by the doctor. And I assume if it is emptier than it should be on that date, they will be cut off as well.

BriarPatch99

I was just trying to find any change in regulation .... I have not been able to find anything other than the Six month prescription renew ....

Was hoping someone that deals with in this area would chime in ...

280 Man

Banned
I dont know for sure but that 6 month prescription renewal is the longest it can be legally written for but does not mean that the Dr has to write it for a 6 month length of time.

With todays prescription drug problems a lot of Dr's are "playing" it safe when it comes to prescription writing when it comes to any drugs could be habit forming.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Doctors at the orthopedic clinic I use will not write refillable prescriptions for any pain medicine.
They also won’t send it in electronically. You must come to the office in person to get a new written prescription.

BriarPatch99

I got it all straightened out this morning .... a new person handling the paper work ....

Back on the three month schedule ... which all my other meds are on also ....

Sleeping meds .... not pain meds .... just happened to be class IV .... I can't sleep when I supposed to ....